Solved

getting added to random text groups

Hi,

On 7/8 - one of our numbers in the plan (iPhone 😎 got added to a random text group made up of numbers not in the contact list! Today (7/9) an unknown number got added to our text group automatically (this was a nexus ) and one more phone in our plan (iphone) got added to another random text group!!

What is happening? Are others experiencing this kind of random additions to unknown groups? I saw some folks reporting this issue on ATT and Verizon in late 2017. I called Tmobile support today - they denied any widespread issue and did not create a case for my issue !

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 17 July 2018, 22:07

View original

38 replies

My group chat has been going through something similar. We all have Galaxy phones. 2x Galaxy S9 and 1x Galaxy S6.

We will randomly have anywhere from 1 to 6 additional random people added to our group chat. We went into the T-Mobile store but they were equally confused and said they had not heard of any issue similar to this...

My group chat has been going through something similar. We all have Galaxy phones. 2x Galaxy S9 and 1x Galaxy S6.

We will randomly have anywhere from 1 to 6 additional random people added to our group chat. We went into the T-Mobile store but they were equally confused and said they had not heard of any issue similar to this...

This just happening to me today...what's the fix?

Userlevel 4

Hey @nosoup4u72

That is very strange! Were these numbers unknown to you? If so, Did you ask the group message how you came to be part of it? Maybe they added you by accident?

We have a group plan and this has been happening on both of my daughters' phones. They'll just randomly get a group text from a bunch of numbers that they don't know and aren't in their contacts. Very strange and concerning. We're in 40205 and at least one of the random numbers was from the DC area.

Userlevel 4

That is incredibly strange @necknox​. How often does this happen? Also, has your daughter asked in the group chat if they had added her by mistake?  

It sounds like everyone that was in the group text was just as surprised to have been added, at least in one case. At first I thought maybe my daughter had entered her number online somewhere and was now getting spam but then my other daughter had the same thing happen a few days later. One daughter said it's happened twice in the last few weeks and the other said it was only the one time.

Userlevel 4

For this issue we will need to take a look at what happened on the network side. The next time this happens, please make note of all the other numbers in the group chat (specifically the one that sent the message that she got when first being randomly added to the group chat. Once you have this, give us a call as soon as you can so the network data will be fresh and easy to find. Our folks over the phone will be able to open a service ticket for this.

Got it. Will do.

This started happening to me yesterday afternoon. I started receiving multiple text messages (enough to silence my ringer) from random numbers with area codes that are scattered throughout north America. The other parties were replying to something because I kept noticing the word 'stop' and some of these people are ridiculously rude. I can't block or report for spam. This makes me feel vulnerable to cyber attacks

Userlevel 4

@thatdudekolby That is actually kinda crazy! It almost sounds like the people were getting some sort of short code that asked them to reply with "STOP" to opt out and some folks reallllllly hate those kind of messages cause they can be spammy. I have no idea how these messages could have been routed to your phone but it is something we can definitely look at. If you have not already, please call us so we can gather some necessary information and get a trouble ticket started for you.

Hi,

On 7/8 - one of our numbers in the plan (iPhone 😎 got added to a random text group made up of numbers not in the contact list! Today (7/9) an unknown number got added to our text group automatically (this was a nexus ) and one more phone in our plan (iphone) got added to another random text group!!

What is happening? Are others experiencing this kind of random additions to unknown groups? I saw some folks reporting this issue on ATT and Verizon in late 2017. I called Tmobile support today - they denied any widespread issue and did not create a case for my issue !

Spammers are using group texts to get around the blocking functions.  WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO BLOCK GROUP TEXTS

This is completely ridiculous. The spam group texts, spam texts from email addresses, spam texts claiming to be t-mobile— all have gotten so much worse and more frequent over time. It makes me feel unsafe. There needs to be a way for me to have legal recourse (without hiring a lawyer) against these scammers who are committing fraud, or are attempting to commit fraud.  T-Mobile needs to use their lobbying power to get laws on the books that make this scam stuff punishable with steep fines and prison time, and for private citizens to have an extremely easy avenue to take individual action.