Question

Getting Edge signal in Studio Mini G5

Badge

Since last few weeks, only getting Edge signal inside my home, in my car and in many locations around Redmond, WA area. Calls get dropped, see network busy signals when I try to call and incoming calls go to voice mail.

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Did you buy the phone from Tmobile? Have you checked your APN settings? When was the last time you restarted the phone to re-associate to the towers?

Badge

It was an unlocked phone from Amazon. Restarted last week. APN settings say

fast.t-mobile.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Is this the Studio Mini G5? I didn’t see a 5G version.

If so , the phone lacks band 66 and 71 and Tmobile may have provisioned their towers recently away from bands 2,4,and 12 which the phones have.

Badge

Yeah, it is the Studio Mini G5. It was working fine when I initially purchased it and few weeks ago changed. 

Thanks a lot for that information.

I guess I have to call Tmobile and look at my options (the hold times are sooo long and I lose signal while I am on hold). 

Badge

Is there any other APN setting I can change it to manually, to get better coverage  in other bands?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I wouldn’t change the apn, I would go into settings,network and internet,mobile network then preferred network type and change it to 3G to see if it helps.

Badge

There’s a B66 tower out near the North-end of Lake Sammamish (for reference, I’m about 2mi SSW of the Marymoor Park entrance).

My OP7 Pro almost always used this tower, or occasionally a B12 tower, to the SE a bit (the OP7 Pro supports ALL the TMo bands).

On my new OP8 Pro (stock INO2025 model), 5G is a mess, at the same location.  It always goes to the same tower (from my home, haven’t surveyed much elsewhere, yet), the first one I mentioned, B66 5G.

Ping times are crazy though, in the 65-125ms range (vs 10-25 on LTE), and while download is usuable (maybe 10-15mbps), upload falls off, often to zero, but on a good-connection, I get about 0.75-1mbps.  Either way, 5G isn’t really usable yet, it drains the battery like crazy, due to the relatively weak signal, I’ve seen as much a 7%/hour, vs <1%, on LTE.

Being almost exactly 4mi NNE of TMo HQ, I’d sure expect to see a bit better.  The signal is “theoretically usable” (in that things don’t drop, much), but not realistically/real-world, in that the battery-drain makes it untenable, IME, so far.

Finding TMo 5G tower-maps are “challenging”, or I’m not looking in the right place (OpenSignal, CellMapper, etc)?

Edit: sorry for all the edits, I was just getting my compass-orientations sorted out (pretty sure they accurate now).

Badge

Thanks for the responses. I might end up getting another phone from Amazon. How do I know which 4G LTE bands will still be supported by T Mobile for a while? I cannot afford a 5G phone, simply too expensive. Will the 66 and 71 bands be supported for a while? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Make sure whatever phone you buy supports VoLte on Tmobile or else it won’t work beginning Jan.2021.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

What is the exact model of this phone? (e.g. G0090UU) Also, what’s the FCC equipment ID? This information can be found either on a tag or in Settings.

Badge

BLU_G00900 is the model number. Here is the amazon link (https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Studio-5-5HD-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07SSCJHT1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&m=AZLYIIMUNEUHN&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1596390544&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

I brought it because it says it supports T Mobile. Now I know about all the bands that are not working with TMobile.

From the description “4G LTE (2/4/5/12/17) 3G: (850/1700/1900): US compatibility Nationwide on all GSM Networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, Metro PCS, and others.”

So I guess I have to look for a phone with different bands and also figure out how to determine if it supports VoLte from the product description.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You can always go to the XDA forums and search for the phone and look through the threads to see the pros and cons.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Spectrum Gateway had a good article of compatible phone with VoLte but it hasn’t been updated since 2018.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

BLU_G00900 is the model number.

FCC ID YHLBLUG90. Has been tested for LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 12 & 17. Not sure what could be wrong.

Badge

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the phone per se, it is TMobile tinkering with the towers  or existing bands in my area and the people I call simply put me on hold for engineering and they never follow up.

Badge

I am getting this one now, https://www.amazon.com/LG-Display-Certified-Unlocked-LM-X520HM/dp/B083G88YCG?th=1, it has more bands including 66, so hoping this will do the trick :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You should look for a phone that has band 71 imho.

Badge

Yep, and 66: 

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network

2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71, and if you’re going for a 5G device (there are a couple of reasonable 5G devices out there, now), the requisite NR bands listed here too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Yup! And 66 and any other bands that are part of T-mobile's new Nationwide 5G network...