Has anyone set up OpenVPN on the CellSpot router?

• 22 August 2016
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I'm trying to set up my CellSpot router to act as an Open VPN server for my Android phone. I installed the Open VPN client on the phone and imported the client.ovpn file created by the server on the router, first adding the line "setenv CLIENT_CERT 0" to the file. When I try to connect I get the error "......ca.certificate is undefined". I thought that the "setenv" line was supposed to take care of running the client without a certificate.  Suggestion?

6 replies

Userlevel 5

Hey hey! I am no expert in OpenVPN by any means so I can't really say for certain that this will work but it is worth a shot! I was able to find from a couple sources that editing the CA cert at the bottom of the OVPN file to look like this should help. Let me know what happens.

<ca>
  -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
  CA cert contents here
  -----END CERTIFICATE-----
  </ca>

The problem is that the router doesn't have a certificate to include. At least nothing is mentioned about generating or using one.

Userlevel 5

In full disclosure, I have never personally used OPVN with this router nor my own but looking at the specs of this router, I can see that it does support OpenVPN Server so that is good! It might be worth reaching out to ASUS directly to see if there is something we are missing.

Userlevel 5

Hey there! Were you able to make any headway on this with ASUS?

Still working on it. It's an issue between Asus and OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. OpenVPN is supposed to be able to accept a "setenv CLIENT_CERT 0" in place of a cert but that does not seem to work.

Userlevel 5

Interesting! I hope they are able to get this figured out for you! There is still hope though as I know OPVN is widely used and I'm sure there are some folks out there that have a setup similar to yours. Let's hope they find their way to this thread and pass on their knowledge 😊