How did this happen?

I bought a phone on Amazon and put a TMobile sim in it. It has been going strong for months until one day I pull out my phone and it says at the top of the screen where it usually says TMobile it says AT&T DATA COMMUNICATION ONLY. on my signal it was one bar and instead of 4G LTE it was R. Can someone explain this?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Was the phone an original Tmobile phone or an "unlocked" AT&T phone?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Well R means its roaming and from the looks of it on AT&T network. Did you go somewhere new when this happened? Or is this just a place that usually has LTE?

First, it was an unlocked phone that said it supports gsm carriers. I was at the location i got that message before but I would usually get 1 bar or edge.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

OK that is very strange indeed

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What type of phone is it?

Is it Tmobile branded and what bands does the phone support.

Userlevel 4

Hey, @jooroth18​!

We'd like to help figure out why your phone changed to roaming all of the sudden. It could be due to coverage or the device itself. Can you share with me what type of phone you purchased from Amazon and the zip code this occurred in? 

It's a BLU Studio XL 2. Here is the Amazon page https://www.amazon.com/BLU-Studio-XL-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B01N95TNK1/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524688922&sr=8-3&pi=A…

The zip code is 33547

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I checked out this area and I'm thinking this may be a coverage issue. The service here is gonna be strongest outdoors with few supported frequencies. Are you indoors when you're in this zip?

Userlevel 4

Hey, @jooroth18​!

I'd have to agree with Mike that it's a coverage issue. Does it only happen while in the zip you provided or are you constantly seeing "AT&T DATA COMMUNICATION ONLY"? And as Mike asked, are you indoors in the area you listed when this happens?

Userlevel 4

Just wanted to check in on the questions above!

-Lauren