Solved

How to buy a T-Mobile cellspot

• 15 September 2014
  • 87 replies

Is the cellspot available, how would I be able to acquire one, can I just buy it online, or do I have to go to a T-Mobile store or make a phone call to T-mobile to inquire about one.

icon

Best answer by czarembo 16 September 2014, 23:52

I checked with a local T-Mobile store - they don't expect to have any in stock at their location at  least for a couple of weeks.  I suspect they'll be taking orders tomorrow.

View original

87 replies

I was at a store today, it will be available on the 17th

@ed60,

Available online, in the store or both? 

it just happened that I was in store, I haven't checked online but I believe you can order it online, why not if you can order phones?

Userlevel 6

We'll find out tomorrow.

Makes me wonder, if it's available online, what time it would be.

I checked with a local T-Mobile store - they don't expect to have any in stock at their location at  least for a couple of weeks.  I suspect they'll be taking orders tomorrow.

Not certain what T-Mobile's hours are - never called after business hours. 

Just went to a local T-Mobile store. They won't have them in stock until 9/24, although they are allegedly taking pre-orders. HOWEVER, the caveat is this: you must have a Wifi-call capable device before you can pre-order one. Since the only device I know of (or, at least, am planning to use) is the iPhone 6, which isn't available yet, I can't order the Cellspot. According to the TMo rep I spoke with, there's supposed to be a code on your account indicating that you have a compatible device. Little bit of a Catch-22 going on here. 😜

Almost every Android phone is WiFi calling enabled. Local store also now says 9/24. Called T-Mobile, they also now confirm its 9/24. They did set me up to order one confirming that I do have a phone that has WiFi calling and my address, will be shipped to my house, 7-10 days from today. Shipping was free, $25 deposit supposedly will not be required until 9/24 so if you order over phone today you can get it for "free".  I could have also upgraded shipping but I can wait a week or so.

Userlevel 6

I DO see that the CellSpot WiFi is on T-Mobile's product page for $99

I'm imagining that's for the folks who don't want to worry about returning it?

Or, it could be like one of the @Home routers that had extra RAM and that and people wanted them like crazy to install DD-WRT.

I'm an iPhone guy (currently have the 5, but 6 is on order), so I'm going to wait until I have activated the new phone and then contact T-Mobile to order the Cellspot. I was also told at my local store about the waived deposit fee (rep said it was good until 9/23). Thanks 😊

I ordered mine this morning at 7 local time PDT.  Since we have a number of T-Mobile phones in our household, there was no deposit required (I'm certain they are aware of the marginal 2G signal we have in this area as well).

I didn't ask for express shipping, so I think it's supposed to get here on the 25th.  Since I wasn't certain whether it would work with the iPhone5 i was going to fudge and say I had a 5S.  That fell apart when she asked if I had the iPhone 5, so I coughed to it.  No problem, according to her it works on the iPhone 5!  That was a relief as I'd heard arguments that it only worked on the next iteration of iPhone 5s (5c&S).  So, whomever insisted that Apple said it would work on the iPhone 5, you were right!

Thanks, perhaps I'll call them up again and ask about getting it using my existing iPhone 5. 😀

Addendum to my last message: just called T-Mobile and ordered the router, they texted me a delivery date of 9/26/14. One thing I learned while I was on hold: the Cellspot only works (for iPhones, at least) on handsets running iOS 8. I was told at the store that my existing iPhone 5 wouldn't work because it doesn't support Wifi calling, which is true because I currently have iOS 7. However, given that iOS 8 is being released today and is compatible with iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and 5C, theoretically any of those phones will work with the router. So it looks like I'm good to go. Oh yeah, and they waived the $25 deposit, too! 😊

I also called T-Mobile (on another matter) and ordered the CellSpot router. More curious than anything else.

The store I was in apparently had them but got an email saying not to sell them due to some "issue" with a serial number or some number.  She at first said IMEI number but know that a router wouldn't have that then she said serial number, sounded a bit fishy as to why the hold but they are definitely being held for some reason.  I called 3 other stores in the area and they all just said they didn't have any in stock. 

"Almost every Android phone is WiFi calling enabled.

Unfortunately it must be a T-Mobile branded android phone, not just any Android phone.  My Nexus 5 is not supported because it is "pure" Android.  The webpage for the CellSpot mentioned above (T-Mobile Wi-Fi CellSpot Router | T-Mobile) lists the compatible devices.  My wife's myTouch 4G is supported, so we may go ahead and order one. 

Note, too, that the description mentions "Prioritizes T-Mobile voice traffic over other internet traffic", so we will see how much that may degrade internet traffic while the phone is in use.  (With the kids out of the house now that may not be a big issue for us.)

WiFi calling will work only on t-mobile branded phones, where the feature is baked into the OS. We do have options as CellSpot router, 4G LTE Signal Booster and apps. I've been using Hangouts and works well with my WiFi.

Not "baked in" but "bolted on".  The reason I went to a Nexus 5 was to avoid the bloatware and unnecessary features bolted on by every carrier. 

It also helped with their hardware upgrades: after one Android upgrade that they made available for my myTouch 3G Slide (from 2.1 to 2.2, I think), there were no further upgrades coming--to get the new Android features, I would have had to upgrade my phone.  I don't want to get a new phone every year or two; I had the 3G for 4+ years. 

Now I am among the first to get upgrades!

kinda same reasons i got the Nexus 5 myself, but I just upgraded to an Oneplus. the battery life on the N5 was king of upsetting for me. can't wait to try the 4G LTE Signal Booster and the CellSpot Router, as not all the phones I have on the account are t-mobile branded.

Because I am stationary much of the day (coding), I can plug my Nexus 5 in; if I leave it unplugged I do sometimes have difficulty making it through the day.

My understanding is that the next release of Android ('L') is supposed to reduce power use.  We'll see.

the N5 should be seeing Android L within  2 months. 😉

have you looked into Google Hangouts ?

By any chance is any one here on prepaid account with tmobile? and able to successfully buy a cellspot?

Userlevel 6

I would imagine if you're looking for the router, you can buy it outright for $99 as that's what it's listed on T-Mobile's accessories page:

T-Mobile Wi-Fi CellSpot Router | T-Mobile

Yes, I already saw that.  I also saw that it was "sold out" online.  There was no add to cart button. What I was asking was more geared towards buying it over the phone or in store, and as a prepaid customer.  I have had nothing but the run around when trying to buy it over the phone though.

Were you able to add this router to your cart online?

Userlevel 6