Solved

How to fix "Restricted access changed - data service is blocked"

• 11 September 2014
  • 6 replies

I have been receiving this notification frequently on my unlocked LG Nexus 4, along with a similar one saying "Restricted access changed - All voice services are blocked." Could someone help me solve this? I tried various things to fix it: factory reset, changing the default mobile network from GSM/WCDMA to WCDMA only, numerous reboots, replacing the SIM card, etc. But no luck.

This started on August 1st (almost 6 weeks ago) when I returned to USA from Europe, and it only occurs when I am at or near my home.  It runs the battery, makes calls and texts unavailable at times, and most of all is SUPER ANNOYING.  I was convinced that when I did the factory reset (finally got around to backing everything up yesterday) that it would solve the problem but sadly, it did not.  I am very frustrated.  I have researched several threads regarding this issue, but most end without really explaining a solution.  My assumption is that the phones are the problem and those users swapped for a different phone, but I'm just guessing.  I plan to go to the tmobile store today and maybe see if my sim card works in another phone, but the problem again is that this only occurs when I am in a certain area, i.e. my home.  I don't have another unlocked phone I can test this on, so I'm running out of answers.

Help me!

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by miket 17 September 2014, 19:48

There is some setting in the Nexus, I believe, that needs to be changed.   It wasn't/isn't, as I recall, sold by TM and had to be bought directly from Google.  In the past year, Nexus owners have placed posts about trouble using the phone overseas. 

An active member on this forum, dnewcomb, knows about this, as I recall.   Maybe he or someone else will post the "fix" you need to do.  TM has enuf trouble supporting phones that are TM branded.  The Nexus doesn't have wifi calling, as I recall,because it isn't a TM branded phone.

View original

6 replies

I haven't received a reply yet.  I am only able to stop the alerts from appearing by switching from 3g to 2g.  But then of course, I am only on 2g speed.  Someone needs to fix this issue, SUPER ANNOYING.  

Hmm.  Maybe your phone is NOT a TM phone and doesn't have the 1700 band necessary to run 3G in many areas.  Maybe where it does work you are in areas where TM has upgraded the 1900 band to do 3G.

My phone worked fine for 18 months, it is an unlocked LG nexus 4, purchased from Google brand new.  I only had issues when I flew to Europe.  I had no service the entire week I was there, and was unable to contact customer service.  When I came home, I started receiving the "Restricted access changed" notifications any time I was in my home.  I am able to switch the settings to place the preferred network as 2G, but 2G service is terrible.  A guy at the tmobile store said it was a hardware issue, but that just doesn't make sense to  me.  I'm convinced it is a software bug that has something to do with Europe, based on my research.  I have not changed the rom or anything like that, it's a stock android platform and it's working fine otherwise.  Still waiting for a response from T Mobile.

There is some setting in the Nexus, I believe, that needs to be changed.   It wasn't/isn't, as I recall, sold by TM and had to be bought directly from Google.  In the past year, Nexus owners have placed posts about trouble using the phone overseas. 

An active member on this forum, dnewcomb, knows about this, as I recall.   Maybe he or someone else will post the "fix" you need to do.  TM has enuf trouble supporting phones that are TM branded.  The Nexus doesn't have wifi calling, as I recall,because it isn't a TM branded phone.

If a master reset has not resolved the issue, this would indicate a hardware issue.  We'd recommend that you Community-2153 over the phone or through live chat so we can begin to explore your warranty exchange options.  Keep us updated!

Hello! It's been more than 36 hours since our last comment so we are now marking this post as assumed answered. You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force please create a new discussion.