Question

How to wirelessly activate phone.

• 25 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m currently overseas in Japan and my phone has stopped working. If I were to buy an unlocked iPhone is it possible to activate it without going into a store? I just want to know what needs to be done in order for me to get a used phone up and running.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

T-Mobile doesn’t require a device to be activated.  As long as you have a working SIM card.  Put it in the device you want to use it in and you should be good to go.  Just make sure you add the correct APN settings in case the device doesn’t automatically set them, being a non-US purchased device.  

BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings | T-Mobile Support

Badge

Thank you for the information!

I just have one more question. So the phone I currently have is an iPhone 12 pro and when I got it it came with a virtual (E SIM) and I don’t have access to get another physical SIM so I’m not sure if I could virtually transfer this SIM card to the next one.?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If your eSIM is already active in your device that is no longer working.  You just need to redownload it to your new device.  Depending on whether your account is prepaid or postpaid, depends on how you do that.  The following are steps on how to download your eSIM to your device.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-esim#heading4