I am about to give up on TMobil

Userlevel 2
Badge

Like many of you, I am not satisfied with TMobil's cell services.  After nearly two years and many conversations with Customer service agents I am about to throw in the towel and move back to Verizon.  I should add that I moved to TMobil out of frustration with Verizon and dazzling TMobil advertisements.  My experience is like many of yours, poor reception and poor data services even when my phone shows 5 bars of 5G.  I wonder if the phone is misrepresenting actual signal strength.  I tried everything, phone reboots, signal boosters and even spent $600 on a better phone.  The signal is awful on all three phones on my plan.  My only question is, how is TMobil making all of their "best network" claims when so many of us are unhappy?  

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Service always depends on where you live. 5g is new and can be underwhelming.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey Gramps28

New yes, underwhelming YES (so far).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

there are quite a bit of upgrading/adjusting that is still happening. about 100 towers a week if im remembering right..

for the time being switch your phone to 4G LTE instead of 5G and see if speeds improve. if they do stick there and every month or so check to see if 5G is working any better or not..

I feel the same. I was pulled over from Sprint. When T-Mobile swapped my Sim card from Sprint to there's I stopped having service in ALOT of areas I'd always had service. Everyone at T-Mobile says I'm out of range from a tower....???

PLEASE PLEASE explain to me since T-Mobile took over the Sprint towers and they have there own towers and I used to have Sprint service and had a signal (lets say the middle of nowhere land) WHY do I nolonger have service in nowhere land with a T-Mobile Sim card??? It makes NO SENSE WHATS SO EVER!!! 

They claim since acquiring Sprint they have more towers and that means more service to more areas but I see the exact opposite!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Depending on your device, you may be able to roam on Sprint (assuming it still exists in your area).

It may require enabling roaming on your device.  There’s a few areas where I do roam locally.  If I set my device to LTE B41, I will roam ~50% of the time, and more I use LTE 800.  Of course, my area still has Sprint service running, and I have a device which supports B25, B26 and B41 which Sprint use.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We’ve expanded our 5G and we’re continuing to do so. As mentioned, there are a couple of factors like the devices and the location. Say for instance you’ve got a 5G device and you’re in an area with 5G, there could be some further investigation for your area. That can be done with a Trouble Ticket. Keep in mind, if there’s a specific area that you’re having trouble in, it’s likely our engineers are aware and are working on a fix.

I have the Samsung S20 + 5G.... the guy at the T-Mobile store said I could just put my Sprint sim card back in my phone but eventually I would have to switch it back to the T-Mobile one. I did call tech support and was told by some idiot (sorry but he was) that, as I stated before, where I used to have service and now don't with a T-Mobile sim it's because I'm out of T-Mobile & Sprint tower range. Somehow I couldn't make the guy understand that I did have service there on Sprint...!!!???!!!...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

roaming and everything is turned on? i swapped out to the TMO sim and my areas of reception actually improved since im now pulling from both TMO towers as well as Sprints.

5G may be new but the 4G service sucks too. I don’t have a 5G phone yet but I have no service in a ton of places where I used to have good Verizon service. The problem is TMobile has better service at my house and Verizon was getting progressively worse all over my county, which was why I switched. Now I’m thinking of getting a 5G phone and going back to Verizon, but I’m torn. They’re the only carriers with service where I live and they both stink. Verizon was great for many years — don’t know what happened.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

On each of the major carrier forums I see so many unhappy consumers but yet they have not moved on despite threats of “ditching” or “giving up”. Every carrier has it’s problems and we are too eager to point out all the negatives on public forums such as support groups and social media. T-Mobile is far from perfect (as we have currently seen with the data hack), but Having been a Verizon and AT&T consumer in the past, as well as Sprint with a work account, each has had it’s own network issues. When I get to the point I am frustrated by one carrier and it becomes “unbearable”, I move on and try a different carrier. It’s not always about cost, it’s about service and if that “perfect” carrier ever emerges, let me know. For now at least, let’s stop kidding ourselves, because that perfection doesn’t exist in any carrier so choose one based on your current needs (and that also goes for the phone you wish to use).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

On each of the major carrier forums I see so many unhappy consumers but yet they have not moved on despite threats of “ditching” or “giving up”. Every carrier has it’s problems and we are too eager to point out all the negatives on public forums such as support groups and social media. T-Mobile is far from perfect (as we have currently seen with the data hack), but Having been a Verizon and AT&T consumer in the past, as well as Sprint with a work account, each has had it’s own network issues. When I get to the point I am frustrated by one carrier and it becomes “unbearable”, I move on and try a different carrier. It’s not always about cost, it’s about service and if that “perfect” carrier ever emerges, let me know. For now at least, let’s stop kidding ourselves, because that perfection doesn’t exist in any carrier so choose one based on your current needs (and that also goes for the phone you wish to use).

ATT was hit a few days later..last Thursday or Friday

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

ATT was hit a few days later..last Thursday or Friday

And AT&T are still in denial even though ShinyHunter’s history of major data breaches and exploits means that it is likely the breach actually occurred. However, the data has not yet been linked to AT&T customers specifically, it only appears to be valid. Researchers suspect that ShinyHunters was able to access customer data including names, phone numbers, physical addresses, email addresses, Social Security numbers, and birth dates. 

You basically just explained capitalism. Thanks for that. Nobody’s perfect. Who knew?

Like many of you, I am not satisfied with TMobil's cell services.  After nearly two years and many conversations with Customer service agents I am about to throw in the towel and move back to Verizon.  I should add that I moved to TMobil out of frustration with Verizon and dazzling TMobil advertisements.  My experience is like many of yours, poor reception and poor data services even when my phone shows 5 bars of 5G.  I wonder if the phone is misrepresenting actual signal strength.  I tried everything, phone reboots, signal boosters and even spent $600 on a better phone.  The signal is awful on all three phones on my plan.  My only question is, how is TMobil making all of their "best network" claims when so many of us are unhappy?  

Countless conversations with the script-reader customer DISSERVICE farm, mythical tech support and actual cellular signal levels that will range from 4 bars of 5G to 1 bar of 4G with occasional ‘no service’. Mix in Tmobile’s claims of it is my phone, my SIM, my settings, et al. and the fact that the so-called technical support wants me to do the same steps over and over as if it going to make a difference. I have had the service for 23 years, and in the last 2 months to say it has gone to hell in a handbasket would be an understatement. I cannot reliably make/receive calls, send/receive text messages, internet speeds as low as 0.23kb down 0.02 up, call waiting will disconnect all calls about half the time, trying to merge a call into a 3-way is just as likely to hang up on everyone as it is to work and the list of issues goes on and on. Tmobile has given up on customer service, there is nobody that you can talk to that has a CLUE what is going on. There is no contact information for elevation, corporate contact, they simply do not CARE. I absolutely hate AT&t/Verizon, but I fear that I might have to just hate it and at least be able to make a phone call.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We’ve expanded our 5G and we’re continuing to do so. As mentioned, there are a couple of factors like the devices and the location. Say for instance you’ve got a 5G device and you’re in an area with 5G, there could be some further investigation for your area. That can be done with a Trouble Ticket. Keep in mind, if there’s a specific area that you’re having trouble in, it’s likely our engineers are aware and are working on a fix.

Umm… sort of.  TMobile has pushed a lot of hype, faster than a stable service in many areas.  I've had trouble tickets opened for 6 years in parts of Los Angeles county… engineers would fix the (lack of) service if TMobile would build sites in areas that they claim to have service.   More recently,  coverage maps are highly exaggerated in many areas, and they removed the ability to determine fringe  vs strong service on these maps.  Driving through parts of some states, there's either  No Service,  or unusable service,  where TMobile indicates  5g or 5g ultra capacity.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The elemental problem is that they lie. Most of you know that. If they really wanted to be transparent, at least there would be a constant in the equation.  When everything is variables, you cannot solve the equation.

My service is fubar. T-mo could help a lot if they provided an app of some sort so we could accurately monitor and report back the true signal, but I think they are afraid to do that AND they do not trust us, or themselves.

Everything in this world works on trust. You cannot do real business unless you have a trust relationship with your partners. Unfortunately, as much as we would like to trust t-mo, they have consciously decided it is more expedient to lie.

We know it is a very (extremely) complicated network.  America is failing right now all over the place, but it cannot see it. It comes from the top down.

“Promise her anything, but give her Arpegge"

Badge

Post Sprint acquisition T-Mobile disabled the old Airave devices that Sprint provided free to help when there was spotty service in your home.  The problem is that service is now worse, with no internet device to mitigate the gap - it seems a pretty poor way for a company to introduce themselves to new customers they are in theory trying to retain.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@tmo_mike_c@formercanuck@fireguy_6364 

I still maintain it is a trust issue. They do not want us to know.  They are following Google’s arrogance and deciding what they want to decide.

I cannot believe they do not know exactly what is going on with their network: where their subscribers are, what the traffic is, what the signal strengths and speeds are. Sometimes a rep will tell you if there is a problem going on with a local tower, but I think they themselves cannot see it.

If they crowdsourced all that data, they would know exactly where new towers were needed.  I regularly test speed using several different apps (speedof.me, Network Sell Info Lite, Open Signal, and Speedtest) .  Usually it is under 10 Mbps. If I visit an urban area, it is usually much better than my semi-rural area.  If they wanted to be transparent and their customers to be educated, they would not be so secretive about their network.
I do think they are making a concerted push to be number 1, and they may not want their two competitors to know the real extent of their coverage, either.  At least that is what I hope, and that one day I will wake up to a consistent 20 Mbps signal. They have made a lot of progress in the last year.  I am still betting on them, for what it is worth.  I just wish they would treat us in a more open-handed way.

You know, when I open this app and the T-Mobile message on the bottom of the screen says "we're setting you up" I can't help but laugh at the boldness they display with that one statement to all of us. That message is FACT, the one true statement I'll hear from them each time I read it.  Well played T-Mobile, we can't say we weren't informed of the situation constantly. also have issues with their coverage map and reps that somehow work for T-Mobile everyday and are as clueless with solutions as I am or are master scam artists. Either way it ends with a no service result. I have been wanting service in one location 8 miles from my home for 10 years and it's never happened despite the promises I've heard and actually started getting screenshots of. Just in the past year I was told to upgrade my phone and it's sure to work, so I got a Moto Edge. No service. Told to get a different plan and phone with roaming that can't fail me so I got the OP9 and a different plan & still nothing. Now when I try talking to anyone about it I get disconnected repeatedly or this site will say it's down and having technical problems. How does my service provider have no service as often as I do. I gave them $700+ for a phone in store paid cash because OnePlus will have roaming if all else fails and an hour later I was without service on a new network LOCKED phone in the same no service location and only thing changed from all this is my phone is locked and I still don't get how they can lock my paid for phone to their no service name

Dumped AT&T after at least 15 years. Relocating to the Oregon central coast, reception was very spotty, except at residence.

After 3 years, decided since "we use the same towers as Verizon", decided to switch to T-MOBILE.  

First complaint before walking out the store is the lead weighted brick Samsung phone provide. It's not just the size and weight, it's a bug filled nightmare to navigate with bloatware. 

Come from using a 2018 Nokia 8, bare bones Android purchased graymarket. Asked if I could use the T-MOBILE simm in the Nokia, just holding the brick a few seconds knew it wasn't for me. The clerks were nice, but obviously well coached. Oh, but the antennas are "tuned" to the T-MOBILE network, and the Nokia won't work as good. False, the Nokia has made 6 trips to Europe and never missed a beat.

Well, it's not 5G. Right, don't care. Turns out, in Florence, lucky to get 4G LTE, much less a 5G, if that even exist here. We're located 2 blocks off the 101, reception is poor to non existent at home. Text arrive a day or more later than sent//received at times.

And to think the sales rep was trying to sell us on 5G data for the home network :) Granted, they are in a city 50 miles away, but should be educated on the pros and cons of the service they are promoting with respect to where a customer lives.

T-MOBILE may be the right choice for those living in larger cities, surely not for more rural areas. 

Then there is the spam and junk mail associated with setting up the account. I'm waiting for one of their affiliates to offer Medicare supplemental coverage..…

So back to paying Verizons high rates after a 16 year hiatus.  At least the data and cellular coverage is throughout the area, and the sales rep had no qualms testing a Verizon simm in the Nokia. "But no 5G" she says.

I just smiled.

Congrats, it not for AT&T's reluctance to block sms via smpt, would of even stayed with them.

The one good serve I found with T-MOBILE is their security and sms spam filtering.  Top notch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We’ve expanded our 5G and we’re continuing to do so.

The problem arises when TMobile is expanding its 5g footprint on 4g areas.  TMobile needs to expand its ‘overall ‘ footprint.  Rural areas are still paper thin or ‘No Service ‘ in many areas, where other carriers have service.   Much of this is also where TMobile claims to have service… but ends up being  miles of ‘No Service ‘.  TMobile knows this..  many tickets have been files for this issue, and escalated to OEM and CA PUC in my case.

Places like Florence have never been good.  I had at&t a long while back and it wasn't good.   Had a Sprint work phone … and it roamed on VZW

We live on the Texas/Mexico border and are routinely welcomed to Mexico without crossing. More calls dropped than connected. Very frustrating experience with customer service. After a dozen attempts to get through -- local TMobile wasn’t picking up -- someone at a call center very far from here finally picked up and the call was either dropped or he hung up. And it’s not like TMob is a discount provider. We pay a LOT for two lines and a mobile hot spot. Looking for another provider.