Solved

i have no data. no bars. nothing.

• 22 September 2018
  • 34 replies

i have no data. no bars, nothing

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 4 October 2018, 00:43

Oh well we don't want you to get to a certain level of frustration. We just wanna get the ball rolling on getting this resolved. Keep in mind, you can also use the FB and Twitter links on our Community-2153​ page to reach out T-Force team. They can help through social media if you don't have time to call in.

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Yikes!  What kind of phone are you using?

Same thing with me and 2 of my co-workers who also have T-Mobile. We got to talking about how in the last week or 2, the data connection is just gone unless you're outside. We all have different phones but we all have T-Mobile. What's going on? This is very frustrating, especially since I can't get calls or texts anymore while I'm at work.

PS. WIFI calling doesn't always work either. Doesn't work at all for text messages. I have to take a walk outside to see if I got texts.

Interesting. And disappointing. I have a new phone coming tomorrow. I'll

keep you posted.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh, that's no good, but we really wanna make sure you get help with this.

We'd appreciate you letting us know what phone you're using and please take a look at our Signal issues / no service troubleshooting page for some additional steps to get this resolved.

I have the LG G6. Worked perfectly forever, but about 2 weeks ago, at work I have an extremely weak or no signal.

Wonder what's going on. My new phone is supposed to come today. I will

follow the troubleshoots and see what happens.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay @magenta6247387  thanks for letting us know. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

@ccatura has this been happening in a specific area? Have you followed the steps in the link I posted earlier?

It only seems to happen right now at work, inside the building. But I had this phone for at least 1 year with no problem whatsoever. This just started a couple of weeks ago. And my coworkers with T-Mobile said the exact same thing.

I haven't gone through every step of the connection troubleshooting yet. Below is where I have trouble. I'm not really sure how to do this and what settings are supposed to be on my phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

What is the zip where your work is located? I want to check the current coverage.  Also, is this a T-Mobile phone?

Knoxville, TN 37922

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks! Now, are you using a T-Mobile branded phone?

It was purchased at a T-Mobile store. I don't see a T-Mobile logo on it, though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Ok, great! That's what I wanted to know!

My first question is have you performed a software update lately?  You can check for available updates here:

System>General (if in tab view)>Update Center>System Update>Check for update

You should be at Android version 8.0.0. 

When I check the map, I see that coverage is "Good" but it's specifically indoor coverage that struggles in your area.  The bands that support the best indoor penetration are 600 and 700 and there doesn't seem to be any available in that area.  You do have access to 1900, which should provide adequate coverage in most places.  I'd like you to check here:

Settings>Network (if in tab view)>Mobile Networks>Network Mode

You should have Automatic LTE/3G/2G selected here.  You may want to try changing this to LTE/3G, 3G only, or 2G only to see if you get a better result from the other options. 

You may also wish to do a network settings reset, this will not remove your personal information, contacts, photos, etc from the device but it will delete any existing WiFi and Bluetooth connections that you have set up.

Settings>General (if in tab view)>Reset>Network Settings Reset

Your next option will be to reach out to T-Mobile and request a network refresh, (aka: "cancelling the location"). 

If all else fails and you wish to try a master reset, you will want to make sure that your contacts, photos, and important information is backed up before you head to:

Settings>General (if in tab view)>Reset>Factory Data Reset>Reset Phone

I tried everything except a master reset, which I'm not willing to do due to the hassle of resetting all my apps and icons and whatever else. I just think it's weird that it suddenly happened to me and 2 coworkers at the same time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I definitely understand not wanting to go through all of that!  My only last suggestion would be to contact tech support and have them file a trouble ticket for the work place address.

Thanks for your response on this. I have a new samsungwellnew to me.

It's a galaxy s7. I've set it all up, but was stilling have trouble getting

any data. I tried the network reset as you suggested. Hope it works!

Thanks! (right now i have two bars...which is better than zero)

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Let us know if the network settings reset works any better for you.  You might also wish to call in to T-Mobile and request a network refresh ("cancelling the location") if your phone is still struggling.  We didn't get a ton of information about your situation before you went for the warranty exchange, but I wonder if there could have been a setting off in the device preventing you from reaching the network.  Whereabouts are you located? If you don't mind my asking, I'd be curious to see what kind of indoor coverage you have in your area and if this could be contributing to your problems.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I see you've been getting some awesome suggestions. Are you able to get a data connection now? Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Still working on it. Plan on giving tmobile a call this week. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay. Please keep testing it out. When you do reach out, please keep us updated on this.

Will do. Thx. Got a busy week, so not sure when I will get back to this.

Depends on how frustrated i get!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh well we don't want you to get to a certain level of frustration. We just wanna get the ball rolling on getting this resolved. Keep in mind, you can also use the FB and Twitter links on our Community-2153​ page to reach out T-Force team. They can help through social media if you don't have time to call in.

Do you have any suggestions on things I can try? I am in NE Ohio. Between

Akron and Cleveland. I'm in a basement apartment, but even when I am out,

coverage is spotty. This is w a Samsung s7. I had great coverage w an old

moto until about a month ago.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hey there, @magenta6247387 , your current phone, is it from T-Mobile?

No. Tmobile service. Unlocked phone