I live in the 61878, and can a tower near me send the signal that way?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Last week I was driving west from my house in 61878. I own a V30 and a 2015 Ford Flex that can give me the signal strength like the V30.

I noticed that when I drove 1-2 miles west I was receiving 5 bars. As I drove another 1-2 miles the signal dropped between 3 -4 bars. At the 5th mile it was back up to 5 bars. At my home (outside) I would get 2 bars, and , rarely, 3. West of the 61878 zip code there is nothing but flat farming fields and houses. Is it possible to aim the tower to 61878 to receive more bars? I now have a Facebook account, and tried to reach someone from T-Force. I was supposed to authenticate something, and when I did that all I got was a white rectangle with a T-mobile logo, and T-Mobile at the top. I just got out of it, and here I am. I was told by the T-Mobile store in Champaign, IL that there were T-Mobile customers in 61878. Did I miss the memo or something?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I forgot to add. Now that I have an account with Facebook I tried "reaching out" to the T-Force group. It's actually "T-Farce"!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I checked this zip code and I do see the strongest coverage is outdoors. I'm sure our Tech care team can file a Service Complaint. Our engineers sometimes give an estimate on how long it'll take to make improvements but I can't promise that. It differs from place to place.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have 2 bars in my yard. When I drive west from 1 -2 miles I get 5 bars, go another 2 miles there are 3-4 batrs, and another mile back to 5. What is west of me is flat farmland, and some farm houses. If you get a chance go to Google Earth Pro and type in 61878. I-57 is west of my town. Get close and you will see what the terrain is here. There are no big buildings. It's hard to figure how I drive west of my home over I-57 and I get 5 bars. I did manage get ahold of T-Force. I filled out some kind of "Petition". I filled out one of these over a year ago, and never got a reply. I do appreciate your input.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

You're half way between multiple sites.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thanks for the map, but this is all Greek to me. I still have a problem that when I drive west after 1-2 miles I have 5 bars, and there is nothing but flat farmland with a few farm houses. My next question to T-Mobile is how many customers are out here? Are there more in Thomasboro, or on these farm houses? I am still on the Pay as You Go $3 a month plan, but as long as I have a balance I will stay. One moderator here has previously lived in Champaign/Urbana (he calls it something else) may have an idea of what I am bringing up. I will put the map you sent into a file for looking. I feel like I'm in "limbo".

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Those 'green dots' are T-Mobile's cell towers - found by crowd source + triangulation + gps.

Google Maps

Google Maps

and

Google Maps

If you look at T-Mobile's map.. it pretty much verifies this as well.

It appears that that site (south) west of you is part way between I-74 and I-57, and covers all the way up to US-136 (in theory - from cellmapper data).

For your purposes, probably would have been better to have it I little further north-east.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

This is very helpful! When i took readings for bars I used County Road 2500N. It's very baffling that I drive 1-2 miles west and receive 5 bars. That short trip ranged from 3-5 bars. Now to cover my bases I do have broadband internet that will give 400+ Mbps both download/upload speeds. I can use my WiFi to make calls. Perhaps i just should stop complaining and start using my router for calls. For the past 2+ years that I have tried to get this fixed you are the first community member who sent me a map of where the T-M towers are located. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Cellmapper (crowd sourced) users actually posted where T-Mobile's towers are.  In fact, you can look up most carriers, and even in different countries.

The cellphone app (Android only) is easier to use than the web.

The 'magenta' map is actually T-Mobile's and you have to zoom in pretty far before it shows best/good/fair coverage.  It isn't very useful in some urban to attempt to triangulate.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

About the same time I had talked to a member of T-Force he helped me to reset my phone to where Data was shut off. I don’t message nor do I text. The battery life is a lot better, and since I still get only 1 or 2 bars I will now use my WiFi signal. I finally got a good explanation, and an understanding. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you don't care about which network connection you're connected to for data, you may want to go into the network settings and select 3g to seeiif your voice connection is better than LTE.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What I understood was LTE had something to do with data. With 1 or 2 bars where I live isn’t too bad (ie: haven’t had any drop calls), and when I would use my WiFi the sound was much better. What’s nice is my speed from my internet provider gives me 500+ Mbps download and 45 Mbps upload. I use to get 300+Mbps up load, but my provider is trying to find the “switch” that is throttling the speed. I don’t text or message on my phone. 

While you’re here when I got the update to Pie on my V30 it added something called CALL SERVICES. I haven’t, and won’t, set up a voice mail. I just do a couple of things to remove the voice mail icon (cassette looking?). I clear cache and clear data, and the icon is removed. If the number is not one of my contacts I usually block that number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

When I first moved to Arizona there was an area of Tempe where the reception was bad on LTE but when I switched to 3G my reception and data were much better.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I just use my phone for calls, and the 2400+ audio files for music. What I listen to they just don’t play anymore! You and another member here have been a good source of knowledge!