Question

International Travel

• 18 May 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello, I’m on the Magenta 55+ plan. I will be out of the US for about 3 ½ months over the summer traveling in Europe, most of the time in the UK. I understand I would have to pay .25 per minute for phone calls and the data speeds are very slow. I’m ok with that. I’m planning to get a local UK SIM (my phone supports dual SIM) and use the UK service for my data, so I don’t think I will be doing too much roaming on the T Mobile partner network.

My question: is there any limit to how long I can spend out of the country? The fine print on the International Roaming plan says something like, “Not intended for extended International Travel” but when I ask T Mobile employees to quantify “extended” I get different answers. So far I’ve heard 3 months, 6 months, no time limit restrictions. 

Can anyone offer feedback from their experiences? 

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

3½ months will be pushing the limit. Part of the equation is the percentage of usage in the USA vs roaming. Using a lot of cellular data* before you leave the USA and using a local SIM for data will help.

*There are sites for downloading huge test files.

Badge

Thanks for this reply, but can you elaborate on why using a lot of cellular data before I go will help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You need to show a majority usage on Tmobile towers. If you roam over 50% in 3 months using Tmobile they can cancel your account for excessive roaming.

It’s all in Tmobile’s Terms and Conditions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

50% of 2GB is 1GB - very easy to hit, while 50% of 300GB may take a bit of work.

Run a handful of ‘speedtest.net’ runs.  With 5G UC, a single run can be 1-2GB.

I just don’t recommend it while roaming/overseas.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Run a handful of ‘speedtest.net’ runs. 

Making sure your WiFi is turned off.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

https://testfiledownload.com

etc.

Hey! T-Mobile brought this on themselves.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for this reply, but can you elaborate on why using a lot of cellular data before I go will help?

One trigger for excessive roaming is when more than 50% of your cellular data usage is roaming. If you inflate your domestic cellular data usage before you travel, it will push the 50% trigger point out.  

can not call my number in Europe , do I have to pay extra ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

can not call my number in Europe , do I have to pay extra ?

You have not given enough information to answer the question.

Who can not call your number? Is the caller in Europe or your phone in Europe? What’s your cellular rate plan? On most postpaid rate plans making or receiving cellular calls while roaming abroad is 25¢/min.