Question

Iphone 12 India data usage

• 29 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am on Magenta Amplified plan and told I have the 2G data available in India. I have Iphone 12, it says connected to Vodafone but no data activity. Do i need to turn Roaming on Iphone to use this?

Please advise

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Yes because Vodaphone is not on the Tmobile network.

Badge

Thanks so much @Cali Cat. Wanted to make sure I didn't incur roaming charges when i did this

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thanks so much @Cali Cat. Wanted to make sure I didn't incur roaming charges when i did this

Make sure you receive a text that confirms you have the International data plan. If you don’t get a text, then there could be a problem. Every time I’ve landed in a country that is included in my plan, I got a confirmation text as soon as my iPhone connected to the local cell network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Be aware that there have been a lot of problems reported with roaming in India. This may have something to do with the legacy of India managing wireless on a state-by-state basis. Also, it’s not actually 2G data, rather it’s whatever data is available throttled down to ~128-256 kbps by T-Mobile.

I traveled to India for 4 weeks in September and October 2022, after reading this forum. I am back in the USA and here is my review. T Mobile free data on cellular networks of India worked almost everywhere during my 4000+ kilometer zig-zag drive journey in India, as I visited various historic sites and infrastructure projects to review in the field. Relying on T Mobile, I was able to get free Messages, WhatsApp, Email etc in Delhi including Delhi airport when I arrived, and thereafter in numerous small towns of Chhattisgarh, towns and cities of Madhya Pradesh including Bhopal airport, of Uttar Pradesh, small towns and cities of Odisha including Bhubaneswar airport, and most of West Bengal including Kolkata airport. Only exception were isolated parts of Raipur city and parts of Asansol city (may be one or two tower issues?). No bill surprise afterwards too, now that I have received and paid the monthly bill that covers the period of my travel. Slow speed data is indeed included free by T Mobile in India, and for me, it worked nicely in the states mentioned above when I tried relying exclusively on T Mobile service. For high speed data and apps such as Google Maps and Apple Maps, I used a portable JioFi. When JioFI battery was exhausted, and sometimes just to test, I relied on T Mobile exclusively. I was traveling with the recently released iPhone 14 Pro. I have the Magenta Unlimited plan. These were my phone options → Settings : Cellular → then Cellular Data : On (Green); Cellular Data Options : Roaming On; Personal Hotspot : Off. T-Mobile Turn On This Line : On (Green); Scrolled down and confirmed that all the desired Data-driven Apps were On (green). Sometimes I had to toggle the Airplane Mode on-off, or switch off then reboot the phone, to help re-login the phone with local cellular towers.