Question

iPhone not receiving MMS/SMS texts

• 17 November 2020
  • 17 replies

Badge

I just upgraded to the iPhone 12Pro. I have had a slew of issues this week regarding MMS/SMS messages with androids. Whether in an individual message or in a group chat, I am missing messages. In the group chat with androids, I also miss the texts with iPhone users because everything is sent via MMS.

This is incredibly frustrating and no one seems to have an answer. Apple is quick to say it’s the carriers problem but T-Mobile says it is an Apple problem. I am missing full conversations with people and I don’t know about it until I’m asked in person why I’m just not answering anything.

This was also happening on my iPhone 8+ as well, so I don’t necessarily think it’s the device per se. I am running iOS 14.2. Users on Reddit are saying this is happening to them too, and it’s not just iOS 14.2 and not just the iPhone 12 series.

Everything in my messages is turned on so I should be receiving these texts. My friends phones are all different types of androids and different carriers, but it seems to be just me that misses the messages. So it definitely seems like a T-Mobile issue.

17 replies

It has been happening to me to on new iPhone 12 Pro.  My wife has an iPhone 7 Plus on the same rev of IOS and no issues at all.  This has been going on since I got the phone, but it would seem that it would be a IOS issue,  not hardware.

same here. It’s not until I upgraded from an 8 to a 12 pro that I had this issue. My son has an XR and my husband has an 11 also on Tmobile network and they don’t have this issue. I can’t respond to any texts coming from an Android device. I get a not delivered response. I’m finding that my husband and my son are getting my Facetime calls with my apple id email address. My messages are also going to them via iMessage thru my apple id as well. I have literally spent a total of 6 hours in the past two days on this. I just want my phone to work properly since I have contractual obligation with it. 

The issue has been resolved with IOS 14.2.1 which was released yesterday, FYI.  The release notes specifically stated the missing MMS messages in groups so hopefully this takes care of it.  I already updated and it is working fine at the present.

I have an iPhone 7 and have been experiencing an ongoing issue with text messages failing to send since August. My phone has completed all available updates- I’m not sure what to do to resolve the issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

If this messaging issue is still going on, check out our Messaging and Email troubleshooting steps. If the issue continues after that, I’d get with our Tech Care and file a Trouble Ticket.

I am also facing the same issue as I am not getting text message particularly PIN number which are authorized to use in some of the website during the login process. I am using 8 Plus and issue seems to be inconsistent as I am receiving some message from my friends but not the message from the website during the authorization process. 

Every time i have to request them to send to email. 

I have been having this issue since I switched to T-mobile at the beginning of April 2021.  I have called 5 times, 3 trouble tickets have been put in and I have yet to be given an answer that works.  This is a T-mobile issue and so far, they do not seem to care.  Nobody has followed up with me until I call and when I call, they have me go through all the same steps that I have done multiple times. I have reset my network settings multiple times which is extremely frustrating.  I am not getting group MMS nor am I am able to send them.  I also cannot send individual picture MMS messages.  Currently, I am paying for a service and not getting what I pay for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

did you bring your device with you from the previous carrier or did you purchase a new phone through TMO?

I’ve been having this issue with an unlocked iPhone 12 that was recently added to my family plan. I have discovered that it cannot receive SMS and MMS messages from Android devices on my plan, but it can receive SMS messages from other carriers like Verizon. Another iPhone 12 on my plan however does not experience this issue. It’s clearly a T-Mobile problem but T-Mobile support has been completely useless and has basically said there is nothing they can do. I am going to replace the sim and if that doesn’t work I’m taking my 6 devices to another carrier. 

I just switched over to T-Mobile on Saturday. I have same issue not getting text messages or PIN to login other applications. It is very frustrating. I am not getting any help. Is it possible to switch back to AT&T as I am only two days with T-Mobile. Any help is very much appreciated. I have followed all the steps but issue is still there. 

I’ve been having this issue with an unlocked iPhone 12 that was recently added to my family plan. I have discovered that it cannot receive SMS and MMS messages from Android devices on my plan, but it can receive SMS messages from other carriers like Verizon. Another iPhone 12 on my plan however does not experience this issue. It’s clearly a T-Mobile problem but T-Mobile support has been completely useless and has basically said there is nothing they can do. I am going to replace the sim and if that doesn’t work I’m taking my 6 devices to another carrier. 

Took the device to an Apple store and they seemed to be familiar with the issue as they reinstalled iOS which fixed the issue. It’s odd that a software issue would specifically prevent some SMS messages from arriving and not others but whatever, it’s fixed.

Thank you. I will go to Apple store to get help.  

Try deregistering your phone number from iMessage: 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203042

If SMS then works, try to turn iMessage back on the new phone.

Similar  send text message from iphone 12 pro max to samsung note 20 ultra .  

Samsung - receive message but when respond , iphone pro 12 max does not receive the text message from Samsung . ???

The issue has been resolved with IOS 14.2.1 which was released yesterday, FYI.  The release notes specifically stated the missing MMS messages in groups so hopefully this takes care of it.  I already updated and it is working fine at the present.

I have 14.8 and still not receiving android text message

I have 14.8 and still not receiving android text message

I’m not sure if you’re still having this problem but I just recently had this issue resolved. When I called T-Mobile the tech support agent confirmed that I had in-fact used an andriod phone prior to switching back to an iphone (while using the same SIM card). There is a feature called RCS which is a google messaging protocol that filters SMS and MMS messages. What you’ll need to do is unregister your phone number from the Google RCS data base and after that you should be able to receive SMS messages from Androids. Hope that helps! 

I use an iPhone 12 with T-Mobile business line service.

Coworkers who use Verizon with Android ARE NOT able to send SMS messages to me.

Coworkers who use Verizon with iPhone ARE able to send SMS messages to me (whether iMessage is turned on or off. 

I have fully reset and erased the iPhone without restoring a backup, the problem persists regardless.

Please help!