Solved

Large service dead zone, not yet a customer - how to report?

I'm considering joining T-Mobile, but there is a large coverage dead zone in my area.  I tried to report this area to T-Mobile Support via chat, but they said I needed a T-Mobile phone number to report my issue, and therefore couldn't really assist.  They also said that their info indicates that the area I was trying to report does have coverage (it definitely has none), which makes me think that this will never be addressed.  What would be the best way to get T-Mobile to investigate this dead zone and mark it for future upgrades?

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 15 April 2019, 09:23

It definitely does look like there's some gap in coverage there.

Unfortunately the best way for us to get issues like that fixed is with customer complaints, which I don't see many logged of. I can file a ticket for the area (the rep you spoke to would have needed a number), but ultimately they're much more prioritized when a connected phone number/active customers are filing tickets. If you know anyone in the area with T-Mobile, having them file for service requests under their number is the best way to have action taken!

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Do you have an address or at least a zip code? I'd like to check in to this area to see exactly what's going on.

Userlevel 7

I wouldn't worry about it. T-Mobile knows where they do and don't have service. They certainly won't send in a strike team by helicopter to check out your report and establish new service because of your complaint. Just vote with your feet and wallet and use another carrier until T-Mobile corrects the issue. 

The dead zone starts around 1745 Greenwood Lake Turnpike in Hewitt, NJ 07421 and continues east all along Greenwood Lake Turnpike (County Road 511) until it intersects Margaret King Avenue in Ringwood, NJ 07456.  The dead zone continues all along Margaret King Avenue until it intersects Sloatsburg Road in Ringwood, NJ 07456.  The dead zone then continues north all along Sloatsburg Road (it turns into Sterling Mine Road) through Tuxedo Park, NY until reaching the intersection of Route 17 in Sloatsburg NY where coverage finally resumes.

This is a link to Google maps that shows the whole area of missing coverage: Google Maps

Userlevel 7

Does look kind of spotty.

One issue may be NJ's NIMBY zoning laws. AT&T's coverage in this area doesn't look any better.

What's curious is that we were testing with a Pixel 2 on the latest APN which should be accessing all bands, but rather than even "spotty" coverage, it was completely unable to connect all along the route.  Just trying to understand why T-Mobile Support and the coverage details indicate there should at least be some sort of signal in the area, and if perhaps something is impacting it.

My phone on AT&T fared quite a bit better along the same route.

Userlevel 7

On CellMapper.net, where that map comes from, red generally means the signal is detectable but not usable. Different shades of green are different grades of usability.

Thanks for the clarification 😊

magentatechie, any additional insight as to why T-Mobile Support thinks (or at least said) this area should have coverage?

It definitely does look like there's some gap in coverage there.

Unfortunately the best way for us to get issues like that fixed is with customer complaints, which I don't see many logged of. I can file a ticket for the area (the rep you spoke to would have needed a number), but ultimately they're much more prioritized when a connected phone number/active customers are filing tickets. If you know anyone in the area with T-Mobile, having them file for service requests under their number is the best way to have action taken!

Thanks, Lauren.  If you could file a ticket, that would be wonderful.  I'll also advise my neighbors to log complaints about the area since I know it is causing problems for many of them.

To be able to get full coverage, you may want to check to see if your phone that supports the full network including Band 4 (2100/1900 MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz) and Band 71 (600 MHz).

GSM Arena will tell you what your phone is compatible with.