Solved

Legit? 09/22/2022 Free Apple iPhone SE for legacy 3G user

• 29 September 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello all, receive an email from news@t-mobile-email.com. I went to a T-Mobile store, not authorized retailer or limited serice. And I was told this is a fake email. They never heard of it and even called a “regional operation manager”. A huge red flag for the store’s assistant manager is the “No Taxes” and one glance at the sender address. They said it was fake. 

I have been consistently getting email from this news@t-mobile-email.com, address with promotions, reminder to switch from 3G to 5G since June 2022.

Do anyone know if this is indeed a fake email?

Your iPhone SE ON US is waiting
Get yours in store
No taxes, fees, or plan change required
3G service has ended, and your phone has either lost service or is experiencing service interruptions and must be replaced. 

All you need to do is visit your local T‑Mobile store to turn in your current phone and get iPhone SE ON US. Act now and replace your phone today.

Impacted phone(s): 
Ending in XXXX (deleted for security)
icon

Best answer by nyc_1 1 October 2022, 21:18

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is a fake e-mail.  Any e-mail from T-Mobile should come from @t-mobile.com.  Anything other than that is a different domain that is not owned or operated by T-Mobile.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

i looked up the  dns recored, the admin email for t-mobile-email.com
is dns-admin@t-mobile.com

t-mobile-email.com nslookup
https://www.nslookup.io/domains/t-mobile-email.com/dns-records/

I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Maybe @HeavenM  can answer this for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

bigger question. which device are you currently using?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That number is on an iPhone 5s. lol
it still works in the house, with wifi.

I called T-Mobile today, the person said, there in no such free promotion, but he will check with their promotion dept.

Let me clarify that this is not a one-off email from this address (news@t-mobile-email.com). I have been receiving emails from this sender on T-Mobile promotions since I updated my email address in my account. The emails are your typical marketing promotions, like BOGO, back-to-school, etc. Plus this latest offer has the correct 4 digits of my 3G phone in the email. If this email is Fake, it must be a very persistent fake emailer. Maybe T-Mobile should hire them instead. ;)

Maybe the purpose of the email is to get you to click on a malware link…  but the links points to t-mobile site.

I got a feeling that within next 3 months, there will be another email on this same subject. Maybe they have to get enough people off the 3G so they can repurpose the spectrum. Who knows.

Anyway, it’s not a big deal, that line is a backup line anyway. Thanks for your time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

reason i asked is i know if you have a 4G phone that doesnt have VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) then im pretty sure they have a program to get you switched into a 5G device since they will be shutting down 3G here before to long. so there IS a program out there for this. i would for sure double check by contacting TMO directly though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@nyc_1 It sounds like you are doing a great job checking links before you click them and being diligent about possible scams. It does sound like all of the marketing information is correct. The reason why most may not be recognizing the email address is because they have marketing notifications turned off.

I am not sure why they told you over the phone that there is no such promotion right now because there is. The system did a “prequalification” to see if accounts were using devices that would be affected by the 3G shut down. You can call or message us to see if your account has the flag that the system would have left. If you do, you’ll need to go to the store to turn in your old phone and get yourself the free iPhone SE that is being offered. When you call in or go to the store, you can have them look up “2022 trade P6” and they will be able to see all the details needed about the offer. 

I know that going to the store is not always our favorite way to get things done, but the best part about it is that you know for a fact that you are not getting scammed. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi HeavenM, the assist-manager checked my account in the store yesterday and she said there wasn’t any flags. So I would let this matter rest. It’s not worth the effort, really. It’s not the Store’s fault that they can’t see it in my account. I wished the system would do a better job connecting the dots.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

In conclusion...
As a matter of principle, I spoke to a rep at 611 yesterday, after some digging and overnight verification with his manager, he verified that the promotion is legit and he wrote a note in the comment area of my account. With that, i went to the same store and they did give me an iPhone SE 64GB. It’s not even on an EIP. Thank you all for the assist and guidance. Cheers.

This is very frustrating. I received the same offer on October 18th, and brought the email to a store today. Two members of the store staff insist the email is a phishing scam, and that no such promotion exists. I called 611 from the store, and my rep also could not find this promotion -- though he found a similar one that expired. His advice was just to wait until Black Friday at this point.

@HeavenM, is there any recourse at this point for myself or others getting this offer with nobody from T-Mobile able to even verify the offer exists. I’ve lost too many hours dealing with this ridiculous situation. 

Any advice is appreciated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/umts-retirement

Thanks @fireguy_6364, but I’m still not seeing that offer anywhere. There is a SE 3rd generation with $400 or $200 off based on trade-in, but the iPhone 5S is not even a trade-in option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Unleded It is super odd that they are not finding anything like this when you talk to them. We have a couple offers still active that include a few devices for the free UMTS retirement replacements. They are retail only so going to the store will be your best bet. There is a centralized resource for all of our reps that discusses the UMTS retirement details and offers linked to it. You can try to have them look up “3G UMTS network retirement” and see if they have better luck finding what they need. 

I may be giving more information that I should here, but I do want everyone to know that new communications should be going out to all stores this week so by early next week they should ALL be on the same page with this. With that said, feedback is a gift. I appreciate you letting me know that there are still some knowledge gaps for our experts. Can you DM me the store location you went to, maybe the names of the people you talked to in the store and over the phone, and when you went? That way I can provide the feedback and advocate for you so when you go in next time, you can have a better experience. 

Thank you, @HeavenM! Look for DM shortly. 

Following up to let anyone else with this issue know that, with help from @HeavenM, I was able to complete an in-store trade in of my unsupported device for the iPhone SE. The bottom line is that it seems the store staff just isn’t as well-informed as they should be. If not for @nyc_1 starting this thread, I would have just given up. Thanks all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

side question..was it a true brick and mortar TMO store or a 3rd party owned one? might be the difference in knowing and not knowing what was supposed to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

side question..was it a true brick and mortar TMO store or a 3rd party owned one? might be the difference in knowing and not knowing what was supposed to happen.

The store that he shared with me is a T-Mobile branded store. I am addressing the knowledge gaps internally with our content teams to see how we can make this better moving forward. :)