Question

List of 5G phone offers per the network-wide update from 3G in 2022?

• 9 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

TM sent an email and posted a page <https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution> about upgrading or replacing a 3G device, in order to receive a FREE 5G phone, before July 1, 2022. However, neither the email nor the webpage provides a list of all the 5G phones that they are offering. Clicking around anyway leads you to this page <https://my.t-mobile.com/purchase/shop>. However, that page only shows a bunch of price tags; no free 5G phones. Please shed some light?

Also, to be sure, do the two words “upgrading” and “replacing” mean exactly the same as “trading in”? Meaning, we have to hand our old phone in to a physical T-Mobile store in order to receive the free 5G phone?

Merci!

6 replies

Same question. T-Mobile still sending to me a reminder through an email message:

“We want to make this as easy as possible and provide you with the information you need. We continue to have exciting offers and deals for you, including an option for a free 5G phone, but you must upgrade or replace the device(s) below before July‌ 1,‌ 2022, to ensure you continue getting service, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location. If a number is not familiar, it may be tied to a device with a data plan. To take advantage of available device offers, please visit your local T‑Mobile store, check out https://www.t‑mobile.com/en/umts-retirement or call (800) 937‑8997.”

Seems to me it is not going as easy as possible and has an advantage. Using a link directs you to nowhere. A call to the phone number provided is not an option, I like to see what is offered and I can't visit a store because of problems with transportation. I live alone and do not have a car. Is there a really FREE phone available? Without any get free now pay in 24 months later. And most important, i want to stay exactly on same plan as it now. It been same for years. I have not any desire to increase it on a single penny, only if less.. Please T-Mobile, need some help and clarification.

Thank you.

Badge

My reply is not a full answer, but to share about my customer experience at a TM store today.

We showed an associate the same email as yours, Funcat, and showed them my dad’s LG phone. Associate said the only 5G phone available for this promotion is the T-Mobile REVVL V+ 5G. Its retail price is ~$200, but it would be “free” for us if we turn in our LG phone (worth ~$30 now). We said OK. They emailed us an e-doc to sign. The doc says tax is ~$20, and there’s a weird Sub Total of $30. I guess it’s a service charge? Apart from that, there shouldn’t be any other payments.

After signing it, TM should ship the phone to our mailbox within 3 days. And I think we have 14 days to mail our LG phone via UPS or bring it in to any TM store to help mail it for us. We’ll do that after transferring everything (pics, vids, contacts, apps, SIM & SD cards) from the old phone to the new one. Our family plan stayed the same (we didn’t have to add a line).

Hope this helps.

My experience so far. I was surprised to receive the text message below. I initially assumed it was spam but the last four of my  number and partial IMEI matched my flip phone on a legacy prepaid account I've had for a very long time ( like to have a backup phone on a different network ). I still felt the offer would be invalid for my phone and service type. 

Having a little extra time,  I drove to T-Mobile and went for the"free" (about $60 with fees) phone. She was very nice looked at the text and got a new phone out. All was going fine until she tried to cash out and did not have a valid mangers promo code. She also mentioned it would free after monthly credits on my bill. I have prepaid account so things are not looking good.

At this point she remember another employee/manager worked  on the same offer . The employee was called and asked how they completed the transaction only to fine that it had not yet been resolved. She took my contact info and said she will get back to me with a answer. 

I suspect a prepaid account let alone  legacy prepaid account will not result in "free" phone without an account change. May have to drop second line or port out. Will see what happens.

T-Mobile: Our old network is retiring! Trade in your phone for a FREE OnePlus Nord N200 5G by July 1 to prevent service interruptions. Don't wait – upgrade your device associated with the line ending in #### (IMEI containing ######). Learn more: t-mo.co/Free5G

Badge

Update: Took a few days longer than expected, but the REVVL V+ 5G finally arrived in the mail. We were able to transfer everything we needed from our old phone, since both the old and the new devices use a microSD card.

However, the V+ uses a nanoSIM (our old device used a microSIM), so we had to walk into a TM retailer to get help. Try to ask if a free SIM was supposed to come with it.

Note: complete SIM activation and connection to the network may require 20min or more, so be patient before you rush to test the phone calling and mobile data work on your beautiful new phone & SIM.

My review on the V+: Function and capabilities are better than expected for a budget device. Not as good as the new Samsung Galaxy models, ofc, but still a fantastic upgrade.

And my monthly TM bill hasn’t increased, so that’s a good sign so far.

We were told only a USPS would help you mail in the old device. (Two TM retailers said they wouldn’t do it, and we were told the given tracking # is NOT for UPS.) The effort at USPS took ~3min with the help of a USPS associate. Just make sure you (and the associate if you choose to ask one for help) follow the shipping instructions, like where to put which packing label.

I’ve been able to follow the USPS tracking # each day (except “This service is currently available” today).

I spent an extended period of time on the phone and chats trying to find a rep that could explain how to do this.  Everyone I spoke with acted like the texts about the upgrades were such a mystery.

Should have been a very easy process, I have 5 lines, 1 has been upgraded & need 4 more.  I really hate to spend $120 in upgrade fees by going into the store, the website is not helpful at all.

Badge

@blackrifle My suggestions: print out the email you received about the upgrade. So when you walk in to a TM retailer, you can clearly show an associate exactly what offer you’re trying to redeem. Much clearer communication than just trying to verbally describe things on the phone. If you don’t have the email about the upgrade, you can at least show an associate in person the texts you received about the upgrade.

Side-note: Wow you rly have 4 very old phones? haha. Hope you don’t mind getting 4 of the same new budget models. But yes, the $120 fees would seem required. Services gotta pay for something.