Solved

Mexico roaming problems . Not getting 4G lte.

• 9 December 2016
  • 6 replies

I have been here in Mexico city for 2 days . Once i got off the plane received a text on my galaxy s7 edge saying to enjoy 4G lte just like at home. But nothing im only getting 3G icon roaming on TELCEL . So is my mom on her LG G5. she also got the same text saying to enjoy 4G lte . we restarted both phones took out sim cards and nothing only a 3G icon. My moms sister here has a mexican telcel iphone and she gets LTE all over since telcel has very good lte coverage here in mexico city. But for some reason tmobile just wont connect to it. I was thinking it was gonna be a good experience but uploading pics to face book or instagram take FOREVER getting driving directions its real slow . Telcels 3G is real slow . So we just use my moms mexican Iphone that gets Lte on the same network cuz its much faster. Does anyone know how to fix this? And why do they even sent a text to enjoy 4G lte if all they allow is 3G and its slow like edge speeds.

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 20 December 2016, 19:43

This is definitely not a hassle you should have to be dealing with on your trip. It sounds like we are going to need to get a network trouble ticket opened up for your specific situation. If you have some time, please call our international support team at 1-505-998-3793 so that we can start working on this for you.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5

I am with you here. The 3G service can feel especially slow if you are used to LTE. On your phone can you please try following these steps and selecting Movistar?

thanks well i am have been selecting movistar now on both phones. Still 3G icon on both phones but voice quality improved and even tho is 3G its much faster than what Telcel offered. Telcel speed test 0-1 mbps , movistar 3G huge difference  7-10 mbps much more better for everything .

Userlevel 5

That is good to hear! It is possible that Movistar may not have 4G LTE in the specific area you are in so it is defaulting to 3G. It is similar to how it would be in the US if you are in an area that does not have LTE, the phone will just connect to the next best available signal.

Userlevel 5

Have you been able to try your phone in other locations to see of 4G pops up?

Yes and no 4G either on movistar . But i been reading on here that im not the only one having Lte problems in mexico. I found many others reporting on here that lte in mexico dont work and they also get 3G only. I have to be back in 2 months . Next time im just gonna bring an unlocked phone and Buy A Telcel SIM which will get Lte on the unlocked phone   . To avoid all this hassle 

Userlevel 5

This is definitely not a hassle you should have to be dealing with on your trip. It sounds like we are going to need to get a network trouble ticket opened up for your specific situation. If you have some time, please call our international support team at 1-505-998-3793 so that we can start working on this for you.