MMS Messages When Mobile Data Is Off

• 6 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Last night my power went out, so I turned off my Wifi and mobile data to conserve battery on my Pixel 3XL Android phone. One of the group text conversations I’m in was active last night and since group texts come in as MMS, my phone kept prompting me to download them to view them. But then if pointed me to an available setting that I’ve never seen before to send and receive MMS messages when data is off. I was surprised to see that I could actually have my data off and still get group texts and even pictures. I didn’t leave it on because I was afraid it would use more battery and I was already pretty low. Has this feature been around for a while? I’m interested to know how it affects battery life or if it messes with your plan. Is it a harmless option to use when I need to keep my wifi and data off? I guess I’m wondering what a good use scenario would be for that setting.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

might help if you explained what said setting is lol.

or screen shot it and post it in here if possible (just avoid any personal info etc etc)

Badge

You right you right. I forgot you can do that in forums lol. 

It basically does what it says. I've just never seem that before as an option on any of my older phones. I've had this phone for about a year and a half now. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

wonder if it turns on mobile data long enough to send/receive then shuts data back off again? i mean the only way MMS is going to work is with data one way or another..

Where is the setting shown in the image? How do I get to it?