Solved

Mobile Internet Switching Cell Towers Throughout The Day

• 8 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

So I have noticed that random times of the day, my home internet will switch between several different cell towers. Some towers with good signal and some with bad. When it does this, I slow way down and get kicked about three times a day. Anyone know if this is normal? 

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 10 October 2021, 19:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Check out our Slow or no internet: T-Mobile Home Internet page for some helpful steps to help you maximize the speeds available in your area.

Badge

Check out our Slow or no internet: T-Mobile Home Internet page for some helpful steps to help you maximize the speeds available in your area.

Thanks Mike but I am way past that. My issue is that it’s switching towers on its own. As long as I am on my normal tower… I am fine. As soon as it seems I am slowing down, sure enough, I’m on some smaller crappy tower with bad service. I need to know if I’m getting booted because of traffic, towers being worked on…. or because of a real issue. 

Badge

I think this same thing is happening to my cell but just with reception. I sit completely still and watch as my number of bars bounce randomly between 0-3 and back again! I have two towers very close together that “cover” my house so it would make sense.

don’t bother asking them. I’ve tried so many times, they either honestly have no idea or just have no intention of ever telling you.

But I hope you have better luck than I have! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Bars don’t necessarily mean ‘towers’.

Eg.  In my areas, T-Mobile has deployed ‘on one tower’ Low band 600/700MHz (LTE on both and 5G on 600MHz), mid band (AWS 1700/2100 LTE, PCS 1900 LTE, and 2500MHz LTE/5G).

on from that one site.. my signal will show everything from 4/5 bars on 600/700MHz to 2 bars on PCS, 1 bar on AWS and 0/1 on 2500MHz.

The site that is the closest, doesn’t give me quite as much , and its missing 600MHz/2500MHz bands and 5G, but goes from 5/5 to 3/5.

Sometimes, key being ‘quality of service’. and carrier aggregation.

If I make a call, it will typically hit B12 (600MHz) LTE for VoLTE, the majority of being idle/data use, however ends up being on B2 (PCS) and/or B4 (AWS) - which have 3x and 4x the spectrum capacity.

Personally, as long as service is good/usable, it shouldn’t matter much.

If you are ‘in between’ sites (physically) and most have similar setup, some sites may be hitting capacity QoS and your phone is bumping you over to a different site.

Badge

Bars don’t necessarily mean ‘towers’.

Eg.  In my areas, T-Mobile has deployed ‘on one tower’ Low band 600/700MHz (LTE on both and 5G on 600MHz), mid band (AWS 1700/2100 LTE, PCS 1900 LTE, and 2500MHz LTE/5G).

on from that one site.. my signal will show everything from 4/5 bars on 600/700MHz to 2 bars on PCS, 1 bar on AWS and 0/1 on 2500MHz.

The site that is the closest, doesn’t give me quite as much , and its missing 600MHz/2500MHz bands and 5G, but goes from 5/5 to 3/5.

Sometimes, key being ‘quality of service’. and carrier aggregation.

If I make a call, it will typically hit B12 (600MHz) LTE for VoLTE, the majority of being idle/data use, however ends up being on B2 (PCS) and/or B4 (AWS) - which have 3x and 4x the spectrum capacity.

Personally, as long as service is good/usable, it shouldn’t matter much.

If you are ‘in between’ sites (physically) and most have similar setup, some sites may be hitting capacity QoS and your phone is bumping you over to a different site.

Thanks. My issue is with the home internet. I believe you are correct and it’s what I assume to be the cause. I am in the fence of adding an external antenna but don’t want to go thru the hassle if it’s because of high traffic or current location which is something I cannot fix. 

If you live in a somewhat densely populated area you can probably thank Uncle Sam for your issues as it sounds ideally like you are connecting to a stingray and they are gathering intel on your neighbors or just snooping the neighborhood. Feds handed out thousands of them and they are too often used for reasons outside their legal use such as by the IRS to gather to info on financial dealings they think may be going on.  One stingray is enough to cover roughly a a mile radius to 15 miles depending on the unit, though some I hear are greater range than that.  The problem is the bottleneck they create for users like yourself.  They look like a real tower but you are taking a real data feed and bottling everyone through a single feed that has been re-established as a tower..  Any chance you live near GA?  GA and major metro states get them the worse :/.  Good luck, and just know someone can hear and see everything you say or do without a warrant while using one of these.  There are apps to detect if you have been hijacked by a stingray, I recommend grabbing one and telling us is I was right or not as most people don’t know they exist, frankly because they are not legal for use except in rare situations so they don’t want you to know about them.