Question

Need to unlock LG V60 Thinq 5G not receiving calls, APN grayed out

• 16 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello,  I bought a new LG V60 Thinq 5G.  A sprint phone which I assumed would work on the Tmobile network since the buyout. I tried to activate it but it says activation unsuccessful.  ( I now deal with the whole activation screen situation every time I restart my phone)  I went to the Tmobile store and since they were able to call me successfully, they said all is ok.  I am still not receiving calls even though it worked in store. Called tech support.  They talked me into paying for a 5G sim card.  That also did not work.  I’ve tried to access the APN settings and all is greyed out.  So now I’m thinking the phone is locked and if I can get it unlocked, it should work.  Please help!  I really need to be receiving calls.  Also, my call quality is muffled for people I do reach.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

where did you buy the V60 from? and if they gave you the R115 sim card keep that in it..

also are/were you a customer of Sprints or TMOs prior to the merger?

Badge

Hello fireguy_6364, I purchased the phone brand new, privately. It was supposed to be an unlocked Sprint phone but it was brand new in the sealed factory box.  I have been a T-mobile customer between 7 and 8 years.  When you say the R115 sim, would that be referring to the 5g sim or should I take it out and check the number on it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

it would be referring to the 5G sim card. if its the Sprint variant im almost positive it would let you pull from both Sprint towers as well as TMO towers.

Badge

I still have the issue of the APN being grayed out and I cannot properly activate my phone.  Phone calls are spotty at best. Right now, I have to go outside to make a phone call.  Not so much fun during mosquito season or at night when everyone outside can hear my conversation. I have quite a few people saying they can’t reach me, goes straight to voicemail. Others say I’m garbled.  From what I have seen online, it seems my phone is locked and I need to unlock it.  I’m just wondering if anyone else has an idea of how to fix this.  I know LG is no longer making phones, but I like this particular phone, especially the camera and I saw in many places online that this phone should work with the network.  What should I do next?  

Badge

Thank you for responding, btw

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

if im thinking correctly it would need to be fully unlocked to go to any carrier in order for the APN to be changed around..since Sprint merged with TMO you should only need to add the correct sim card to the device.

also make sure your roaming is turned on..since its technically still a Sprint phone it roaming should allow it to connect to the TMO towers as well..

out of curiosity..at the top right ish of your phones screen..does it show a phone symbol with VOLTE above it?

Badge

I found that roaming is off.  I’m not able to find how to turn the roaming on. I went to Settings-Networks & Internet- Mobile networks and it’s not there.  Not under ‘Call’ either. No, I don’t have the Volte symbol and also cannot find a way to turn on Volte setting either. I’d like to add that when I go to my T-mobile online, it shows the phone as inaccessible yet it has it’s IMEI number right above it.  Also, when I go to APN it has  T-mobile LTE= fast.t-mobile.com, EPDG MMS/XCAP but it’s greyed out.  No menu button. What would be my best setting under Network Mode?  I have it on automatic. That I can change. I had tried Network settings reset two times a while back, but it made no difference. I’m just trying to give you all the information I can. 

And I know I mentioned it before, but every time I restart my phone, it says it cannot configure my phone.  

Badge

I just realized after reading replies again that I hit the 6 instead of the 5.  It’s an LG V50 Thinq 5G  Sorry about that.  I pulled the sim card and it’s an R15T