Question

Network Congestion and Sprint Integration Issues

Badge

Has anyone else had issues with Sprint B25 being unusably slow? For some reason my phone latches on to B25, from a tower that is farther away, with a much weaker signal, And a much lower bandwidth over T-mobile B2. 

Overall the congestion on my network is terrible and has only gotten worse the past 18 months. 7 years ago I was getting 25 Mbps down, now I'm lucky to get 10 Mbps, but that's only during odd hours. During peak hours (8 AM-10 AM and 4 PM-7:30 PM) I'm getting less than 1 Mbps. T-mobile hasn't upgraded my local tower since B12, and it has gotten really bad. 

T-force has also been lying to me about tower upgrades for about 3 years now. It seems every time I complain, the networking ticket comes back as upgrades are planned in the next three months. Yet that hasn't happened. We are still stuck with B12 and B2 only towers. The tickets also always come back that they can't see the Sprint network in their system so they can't identify the issue. And if I lived in the middle of nowhere I would understand, but I'm 3 miles outside of a city center and it's the largest tower in the county. 

I really want to keep T-mobile, but the network here has gone way past the point of neglect. Is anyone else experiencing these congestion issues or specifically the Sprint B25 issue?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Have you tried going into your setting and manually select the network you want to be on?

Tmobile is the default but there’s other Tmobile  towers you can try connecting to see if that works.

Badge

Thanks for the reply. I've tried selecting specifically T-Mobile, But that didn't help. Unfortunately I have a pixel, so I can't go into a network mode and exclude B25. On a OP 7T Pro 5G we can do that and that seems to help. The data is still extraordinarily slow, but it doesn't constantly fail to even load a webpage.

I'm assuming that because the network has been so congested for a long time, and now it has Sprint customers on T-Mobile's towers too, that they are over broadcasting B25 in hopes to reduce the traffic on B12 and B2. But in reality all the bands are now super congested and B25 only being 5 MHz it makes it even worse. 

I wish I could trust T-Force about upgrades, but my last rep said no upgrades were planned for the area, even though the previous one told me my tower would be upgraded by mid summer and a new tower would be installed within my signal range by the end of 2021. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

On the Pixel 4XL you can go to your network settings and lock to one tower if needed.

Badge

Thanks again for replying. I didn't think the pixel has that option and I don't see it as an option in network settings or under the advanced networking menu. Even using *#*#4636#*#* I don't see an option to actually lock the tower or exclude a specific band. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Badge

I've had this set to T-mobile and automatic, it seems like it doesn't prevent my phone from connecting to Sprint  B25 or different T-Mobile towers either way. 

Thanks for you help though! I really appreciate it! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

might try switching away from automatic in case thats why it keeps bumping you back over.

I’ve tried every setting, I can find since the Sprint merger. Nothing helps, and some make it worse.

I put in a trial sim that uses AT&T towers. WAY better coverage and much faster data.

I really hate AT&T from past experiences, but this is my business account (7 lines) and the phones have to work reliably.

This really bums me out, because I liked T-Moble otherwise….and I am tired of waiting for their promises to be fulfilled. It’s been many months.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

tower upgrades tend to take a bit longer than a few months..theyre upgrading nation wide currently..so its taking a bit of time to complete.

I didn’t say a few months, I said many. So don’t change my wording to fit your opinion. It’s been well over a year.

It’s extremely frustrating to consistently:

1. Not have signal
  2. Have choppy audio
  3. Be on a business call and realize after talking for 45 seconds that no one is still connected.
  4. Wait forever for a web page to load (if it does), even though it shows an LTE connection.

I’ve been more than patient, with their repeated promises of 30 days, 90 days, etc.

Hope your service is working well. Mine sucks….and has for a loooong time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

mine works great..however this also isnt my first rodeo dealing with a carrier trying to upgrade their entire network..did it with Sprint and now that theyre merged TMO is needing to beef up their entire system