Question

No cell service for Hyaden Lake

• 20 November 2020
  • 13 replies

Badge

I live on Hayden Lake in North Idaho.  There are many land owners around me who all suffer from no cell service.  I love T-Mobile and no other carrier has service on this part of the lake or area.  Sadly, I drive less than a mile up the road and I get full service.  The area is growing rapidly and even a small improvement in the area would impact a significant amount of people.  Is there any way I can lobby for myself and the hundreds of other residents in this area that do not have service?

Thanks.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Good to know… Hayden Lake is a nice area - probably getting a lot of relocated people.

T-Mobile has a form (may need to search for it) on this.

Call 611 and file a ticket… also, have the others call T-Mobile for this as well.  They only appear to do anything if there are enough calls/complaints.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Is this Hayden Lake the city or the lake? T-Mobile has a tower in Hayden, which should provide good service to the town of Hayden Lake. Sprint seems to have a tower located on W Canfield Bute which provides service to the southern shore. This may be available to T-Mobile customers.

If you use Android phones, you could install the CellMapper app and do some signal mapping around the area.

We had a family vacation cabin in a little valley on a lake where T-Mobile’s signal just didn’t reach. I set up an outdoor WiFi access point on the TV mast and was able to make WiFi calls within about 50 yards of the cabin (depending on the phone). Of course, this was after we got DSL at the cabin. For many years there was no wired phone or Internet at all and I’d have to walk up the drive to the top of the hill to make calls. 

Badge

Good to know… Hayden Lake is a nice area - probably getting a lot of relocated people.

T-Mobile has a form (may need to search for it) on this.

Call 611 and file a ticket… also, have the others call T-Mobile for this as well.  They only appear to do anything if there are enough calls/complaints.

What form are you talking about?  I’ll see if I can get more people behind this on the lake.

Badge

Is this Hayden Lake the city or the lake? T-Mobile has a tower in Hayden, which should provide good service to the town of Hayden Lake. Sprint seems to have a tower located on W Canfield Bute which provides service to the southern shore. This may be available to T-Mobile customers.

If you use Android phones, you could install the CellMapper app and do some signal mapping around the area.

We had a family vacation cabin in a little valley on a lake where T-Mobile’s signal just didn’t reach. I set up an outdoor WiFi access point on the TV mast and was able to make WiFi calls within about 50 yards of the cabin (depending on the phone). Of course, this was after we got DSL at the cabin. For many years there was no wired phone or Internet at all and I’d have to walk up the drive to the top of the hill to make calls. 

It is the Northern end of Hayden Lake.  We have Wifi calling available in my house as do all of the other residents of the lake.  However, we are looking for something more than a band aide of Wifi calling.  We would like to be farther away from our house and be able to make calls.  Especially with remote working now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’d like to offer you hope but I think it would be false hope. T-Mobile has their hands full just integrating Sprint’s towers and network and upgrading their network to 5G. Greenfield rural coverage expansion is probably at the bottom of their priority list.

If anyone will add new rural coverage it will be FirstNet (AT&T) or Verizon. I take it there are no regional carriers (i.e. US Cellular) in that area?

Badge

I’d like to offer you hope but I think it would be false hope. T-Mobile has their hands full just integrating Sprint’s towers and network and upgrading their network to 5G. Greenfield rural coverage expansion is probably at the bottom of their priority list.

If anyone will add new rural coverage it will be FirstNet (AT&T) or Verizon. I take it there are no regional carriers (i.e. US Cellular) in that area?

Not sure.  I have T-mobile so that’s why I’m trying to get them to step up but if someone else offers service it would be a landslide movement for everyone on that lake and in the area.

Where could I find if there is better service from another carrier?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Where could I find if there is better service from another carrier?

Well, keeping in touch with what your neighbors are doing would be a start. RootMetrics and CellMapper maps tend to lag new deployments a bit, particularly in rural areas. The choices are Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. The only other possible carrier in that area might be Inland Cellular, who has a 600 MHz license but who traditionally provides service more to the south.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Here’s the T-Mobile site:

https://howmobileworks.com

Unless you have land, or know someone that does… it won’t help much.

I’ve filed with this site often, and no results.

Badge

I do have land and I have started to talk to the neighbors around the area as well to go to this site.  I filled it out already.  Do you know how many times we can fill it out?  Also, I started making reports on rootmetrics’ app as well.  Hope that will help.  Thanks for the information though.  Please keep it coming.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I want to caution @Vinq to not get your hopes up. Long story, short; I’ve been after T-Mobile to improve service at one important NASA facility for 20 years. Every other carrier has great service there, just not T-Mobile. The blockheads couldn’t be bothered. Maybe now that they’re inheriting Sprint’s site there, they’ll convert it to a T-Mobile site but I somehow doubt it. T-Mobile’s engineers listen primarily to the voices in their own heads; not to the customers.

Badge

I want to caution @Vinq to not get your hopes up. Long story, short; I’ve been after T-Mobile to improve service at one important NASA facility for 20 years. Every other carrier has great service there, just not T-Mobile. The blockheads couldn’t be bothered. Maybe now that they’re inheriting Sprint’s site there, they’ll convert it to a T-Mobile site but I somehow doubt it. T-Mobile’s engineers listen primarily to the voices in their own heads; not to the customers.

I understand.  If I can find a carrier that has better service I will quickly switch.  I don’t speak for everyone around the lake but I imagine if rumors gotout that there was some other service there would be a mass exodus to that carrier.  Thanks again for the help and information though please keep it coming.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This goes to the point of ‘ If you build it, they will come’.

I.e.  If you clear up some land, and get ‘1’ carrier to build something (monopole/monopine), other carriers will come.

I’d almost state - call Crown Castle or American Tower and see if they are game.  You provide leased land, they lobby/build and lease tower space.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I can’t find anything near the area in the FCC’s Antenna Structure Registration database.

P.S. What’s the Zip Code there?