Question

no network

• 16 February 2021
  • 11 replies

Badge

I am experiencing network issues since the early morning. I am on prepaid plan with unlimited data. I used a lot of data yesterday due to power outage in Houston. I wonder what is the problem.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You didn't mention what the specific issue is. With power outrages and such due to the weather.  Network congestion is to be expect, as a lot of other customers are going to be relying on their mobile devices a lot more for the same reasons.  

Badge

Thank you for your reply! The issue is that I do not have network (4G). I relied on my phone alot yesterday and I will do so today and until power is back.

I don’t understand why an unlimited plan can cause such problem. It shouldn’t be the case then that I finished my data limit, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you enter the range of what T-Mobile deems as excessive.  Then you get throttled.  4G should not just disappear.  Are you still connected to the network and able to make calls and receive texts? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

is the power outage still in effect? those tend to hinder towers as well.

Badge

If you enter the range of what T-Mobile deems as excessive.  Then you get throttled.  4G should not just disappear.  Are you still connected to the network and able to make calls and receive texts? 

Thanks! Then my next question is: how can this problem be resolved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Is being throttled your issue or is a lack of network connectivity the issue?  If it is a lack of network connectivity, then try powering off the device for about 5 minutes to allow it to refresh itself on the network.  If it is throttling, more LTE data can be purchased through Customer Care or through your T-Mobile account.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

When the lights go out, DSL and cable go out. Everyone pulls out their cell phones and starts talking and watching videos on cellular. This instantly overloads the network capacity.. This happened during Hurricane Zeta. Here in S. Mississippi. The system just isn’t designed to accommodate a 5000% surge in usage.

Badge

Is being throttled your issue or is a lack of network connectivity the issue?  If it is a lack of network connectivity, then try powering off the device for about 5 minutes to allow it to refresh itself on the network.  If it is throttling, more LTE data can be purchased through Customer Care or through your T-Mobile account.

I see. I do not have network at all. So I guess the issue is that I used a lot of UNLIMITED data. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I see. I do not have network at all. So I guess the issue is that I used a lot of UNLIMITED data. 

I don’t think so. If you have voice and text, I think the power failure has triggered a massive use of cellular data, which has completely overloaded T-Mobile’s network. When this happened during Hurricane Zeta, I could barely get any returns from pinging 8.8.8.8 (google). It was just that bad.

If you don’t have any T-Mobile signal, keep in mind that T-Mobile has committed to using “green” power and it was Texas’ windmills shutting down that triggered this power outage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Using a lot of data won’t cause no connectivity.  Being throttled just slows your data speeds down.  As doc mentioned, it doesn’t seem unreasonable for the network and towers to be overloaded due to the power outages.  You could always try calling 611 to see if Support could offer you a bit more of an in-depth explanation.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

T-Mobile has released an update on their response to customers experiencing issues due to the winter storms that have impacted specific areas.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/community/t-mobile-winter-storms-response