Question

No T-Mobile service at Gulf Shores Beach

• 13 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

Even though T-Mobile shows on their map 5G and 4G LTE coverage near Ft. Morgan, AL we are experiencing with 3 lines, no coverage.  One phone did receiver very intermittent coverage, so the T-Mobile coverage map is inaccurate.  They need to put cellular towers in the area and provide mobile data coverage. 

After just switching from Verizon to T-Mobile, we are disappointed in not having coverage.  Never had this issue with Verizon. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There’s a problem with beachfront coverage: It’s hard to build towers in the ocean. Because of this, towers tend to be inland of the beach and large, reinforced concrete buildings (hotels & condos) are often between the towers and the customers. Here’s the location of T-Mobile’s towers on Baldwin Beach, AL.

Gulf Shores

Badge

Really, not in the Ocean?  WTF….. 

But the cell tower, on the land :), is not covering the area down to Ft. Morgan area.  The signal is very weak and for those visiting these areas, being without service is not an option.

Maybe drnewcomb, they should put them on the oil rigs off the beach….:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

ironically,  TMobile believes that it has better coverage  than reality **shocked**  /sarcasm

https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-roamd-5

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Maybe drnewcomb, they should put them on the oil rigs off the beach….:)

Here’s a map of the Gulf south of Louisiana where T-Mobile has done just that. It’s incredibly expensive and not done on the production platforms south of Mobile because T-Mobile’s signal from shore can be picked up about 30 miles into the Gulf. The problem your experiencing is due either to an equipment malfunction or shadowing by either terrain or large buildings. 

Badge

Nice.  Unfortunately there are no towers, etc. anywhere near Ft. Morgan area.  Maybe the storm that hit in 2020 took them down, but they are none in this area.  Only close one is many miles back toward town of Gulf Shores away from the beach and the 5G signal distance is not that great.  This is a flat area with no mountains, hills, etc.  just beach….

But leaving soon and hopefully the signal will be good everywhere else. 

First time with over 20+ years of cellular service (Verizon) that we have ever experienced No Signal at all.

Badge

And T-Mobile equipment malfunction if any.  With 4 different phones and no one is receiving service.

Badge

I live in Mexico Beach, FL and drive for work through sw GA and se AL and n FL. I HAVE NEVER SEEN WORSE service! So many huge dead spots where I’ll drive 30 miles with no signal no service. T-Mobile may be ok in cities and on interstates but DO NOT expect any service in rural areas. As much as I hate changing back to ATT I must. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

For some reason I don’t see the answer I gave this morning.

The most westward T-Mobile tower at Gulf Shores is at Veteran [Rd/St/Dr] The next one to the west is on Dauphin Island. AT&T has a site on Dune Dr.

@DaveInFlorida The stretch of beach between Mexico Beach and Indian Pass is one of my favorite slices of Florida. You live in one of T-Mobile’s black holes. Gulf Co is one of T-Mobile’s worst covered places. Really, if rural service is your aim, all I can tell you is that the urban customer is T-Mobile’s first priority. You’’ll probably see 5G DAS in every major sports stadium.in the US before there’s decent coverage on the back roads through the piney swamps of NW Fla. It’s in their DNA. That’s why I carry a PagePlus PAYG phone when I venture off the main roads.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I live in Mexico Beach, FL and drive for work through sw GA and se AL and n FL. I HAVE NEVER SEEN WORSE service! So many huge dead spots where I’ll drive 30 miles with no signal no service. T-Mobile may be ok in cities and on interstates but DO NOT expect any service in rural areas. As much as I hate changing back to ATT I must. 

While T-Mobile ‘in some rural regions’ have improved, in many, they are still more of the urban carrier.  T-Mobile has a ways to go in many rural communities and highways.  I’ve found many urban/suburban upgrades ‘years’ (and counting) before I get rural dead zones fixed in ‘some’ areas.