Question

Not connecting to data when leaving wifi

• 6 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

For about the last month, my phone has been extremely slow connecting to data when leaving my Wi-Fi zone. Usually it only takes a few seconds when I get out of range of my Wi-Fi (or purposefully turn off my Wi-Fi) to connect to data. But it has been taking between 1 to 5 minutes consistently to connect to data this past month.

If I restart my phone, it will automatically connect straight to data once the phone turns on. But it doesn't fix the issue. The next time I connect to Wi-Fi and then disconnect, it will take a long time to find the data connection again.

I've tried manually turning off Wi-Fi before leaving my house and sometimes it connects faster, but not always. 

Also this is all around where I live, in an area where I've always had excellent data speed.

There's no sign on the top bar of my phone that it's even trying to connect like the LTE symbol with the arrows. It's just empty space next to the bars for minutes until it decides to connect and then the data symbol shows up next to the bars.

I have a Samsung s8 and my brother is having the same issue and he has a Samsung s20. I'm assuming this is more a t-mobile issue than a Samsung issue though? 

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Whenever I’ve seen this problem it’s because the phone is persistently trying to connect to the AT&T UMTS (3G) signal despite that fact that it’s LAC-blocked. How old is your SIM card? You might try manually connecting to T-Mobile.

Badge +1

Whenever I’ve seen this problem it’s because the phone is persistently trying to connect to the AT&T UMTS (3G) signal despite that fact that it’s LAC-blocked. How old is your SIM card? You might try manually connecting to T-Mobile.

Wouldn't hurt to go to a tmobile store and have them swap out (for free) your old sim with a 2020/R15 sim. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey @Jaida13 have you checked out th suggestions above? Please let us know if you still need some help.

I have been having the same issue, I went to the store and swapped out for a new sim card. I dropped the phone about six months ago (just as I was thinking I might trade it in….) and the back ended up cracking. The T-Mobile rep in the store thought the drop could have damaged whatever receives the signal. This has become more of a problem in the last month. I also tried resetting my phone to factory settings and still had the same issue after swapping the sim card.