Question

not receiving SMS/MMS

• 6 January 2020
  • 6 replies

I've been having trouble for the past 6 months where I randomly stop receiving messages. This problem has persisted across 2 phones (a T-mobile branded LG G5 and an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8) and appears to happen regardless of which text messaging app I use (stock, Google messages, etc.). On my previous phone I was able to do a factory reset and the problem went away for a few months before coming back. I've had my new phone for less than 3 weeks, so it's absurd to think that it already needs a factory reset. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a long or short text, group MMS, or picture MMS, nor does it seem to matter who sends it, although I only text with a very small number of people. I've enabled delivery receipts on both my wife's and my phones and the SMS shows as having been delivered on her phone, but never reached mine. I don't think this is a backlog either, because I know of messages that have gone weeks without receipt. Neither my number nor any of the people who are trying to text me have ever been registered with Apple iMessage, so it can't be an Apple<->Android issue. Sometimes reboots help, sometimes not. Turning VoLTE or Wifi Calling on or off does not change anything. I'm running out of ideas. This only appears to be affecting inbound messages to my number and is completely unpredictable. I heard today at the T-mo store that network upgrades are happening in my area, but I would expect that to affect my phone and my wife's equally and she does not appear to be missing any incoming messages and that would not explain why this has happened before several months ago. Help me T-mo support, you're my only hope.

6 replies

In the past I've had issues with receiving texts over either WiFi or LTE but you've said that doesn't matter in your case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That's really strange but we wanna get you some help. Do you delete old messages from the phone regularly? Could be a memory issue and that could follow from phone to phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Could you tell us the exact settings you've chosen on your messaging app? And your APN settings, too?

2 of the 4 phones we recently transferred over from Verizon are having texting problems.  SMS texts to some are not being received on the other side.  For one of the phones, texts I initiate are going through but being received by the spouse of the person that the text is sent to.  This happens in the case of single or group texts.  I've checked to make sure that I've sent to the right number.

Just searching for texting issues, and found this. I don't understand why some even simple messages with only text take 15-30 seconds to send, and others go immediately.

I send a text to my wife when I was leaving work, 9 mins later I'm walking thru the front door and she received it.

Hi, I’m having a similar issue. I can receive group texts that includes a person using SMS. However, if they try to send an individual message I don’t receive it. I have all tried testing SMS and those tests have failed. Any solution is appreciated. I’m on an iPhone 11.