Question

OnePlus 9 Pro Calls Problem

Badge

I could sure use some help.  Intermittently, when I make calls with my OnePlus 9 Pro, the callers can’t hear me, but I can here them.  I’m frustrated because I spent 90 minutes on the phone with tmobile last week and had to pass through several layers of support before I could get someone who could help me.  I thought it was fixed, but same problem started again today.  I’m willing to try anything.  I bought my phone directly from One Plus and just moved my tmobile sim card from my old One Plus 6 to this new phone.  One additional thing is my phone and my wife’s identical phone both say they are “unknown” phones when I look on my Tmobile account.  Is there anyone who can help or can I get support without having to go through so many layers at first?

18 replies

Badge

Try turning off VoLTE and VoWIFI.  That worked for me, at least until T-Mobile shuts off 3G.

Also, what version are you running?  Make sure the firmware is up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I could sure use some help.  Intermittently, when I make calls with my OnePlus 9 Pro, the callers can’t hear me, but I can here them.  I’m frustrated because I spent 90 minutes on the phone with tmobile last week and had to pass through several layers of support before I could get someone who could help me.  I thought it was fixed, but same problem started again today.  I’m willing to try anything.  I bought my phone directly from One Plus and just moved my tmobile sim card from my old One Plus 6 to this new phone.  One additional thing is my phone and my wife’s identical phone both say they are “unknown” phones when I look on my Tmobile account.  Is there anyone who can help or can I get support without having to go through so many layers at first?

Devices not purchased from T-Mobile will show as an unknown device.  That doesn't impact how they function on the network.  How old is your SIM?  You might want to consider picking up 5G capable SIM's, like the SIM's with R15 on them. 

My wife and I upgraded our LG G7 thinQ phones to the OnePlus 9 5G using TMobile.com website. Both of our new phones have had this same issue randomly since we got them on April 14, 2021. Sometimes they can hear us but we can't hear them or we can hear them but they can't hear us. Also sometimes we will reboot the phone and see there are voice mails we didn't even know they tried to call because it never rang. And sometimes the text messages won't go through until we reboot the phone. We are missing work calls, personal calls, and I would hate to have to call 911 and have to reboot the phone multiple times while bad things are happening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My wife and I upgraded our LG G7 thinQ phones to the OnePlus 9 5G using TMobile.com website. Both of our new phones have had this same issue randomly since we got them on April 14, 2021. Sometimes they can hear us but we can't hear them or we can hear them but they can't hear us. Also sometimes we will reboot the phone and see there are voice mails we didn't even know they tried to call because it never rang. And sometimes the text messages won't go through until we reboot the phone. We are missing work calls, personal calls, and I would hate to have to call 911 and have to reboot the phone multiple times while bad things are happening.

Are the devices up to date?  I haven’t heard any complaints from friends that purchased the OnePlus 9 Pro through T-Mobile.  

Yes the system update is not finding any new updates. Also it is not the Pro. "OnePlus 9 5G" is the one we have.

I purchased the One+ 9 5G through T-Mobile and it is now having audio issues. The other person on my account cannot hear when someone calls him, but we can hear him. I turned off BT, no help. There are no updates needed. We tried both Wi-Fi and cellular. The only thing that works is to power cycle the phone, which is frustrating when you’re trying to take important calls. It looks like we aren’t the only ones with the issue. So, T-Mobile, what do you say? How do we fix this? Is this something with the service or the device? Why is it happening all of a sudden? He uses a case, no drops, no damage, no extreme temperature or water exposure. 

I have a OnePlus 9 PRO and my partner has a 9.  Each of us experiences these same issues with outgoing calls where the recipient cannot hear us, calls to us never ringing and going straight to voice mail, and voice mail notifications not showing up for many hours; often not till the next day.  The only sure fix is to immediately power cycle the phone, but it does not last.  I’ve done it three times today.  It does not seem to matter if we are in 4G, 5G or WiFi modes.

This is all very frustrating and causing us to question not just the phones but T-Mobile service in general.

Please help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just as a note, I’d recommend going through T-Mobile support DIRECTLY if you have a phone purchased through them.   One Plus is not the best for device support (have a One Plus 8 5G - bluetooth issues with vehicle AFTER Android 10 → 11 upgrade), warranty exchanged through T-Mobile.  Note:  Each replacement has the same issue - with ‘forced’ Android 11 upgrade.  Its taken me 5 months with OnePlus and had to send my phone to Texas for RMA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Just as a note, I’d recommend going through T-Mobile support DIRECTLY if you have a phone purchased through them.   One Plus is not the best for device support (have a One Plus 8 5G - bluetooth issues with vehicle AFTER Android 10 → 11 upgrade), warranty exchanged through T-Mobile.  Note:  Each replacement has the same issue - with ‘forced’ Android 11 upgrade.  Its taken me 5 months with OnePlus and had to send my phone to Texas for RMA.

That tells you that it isn't a hardware issue with the devices.  I haven't had any Bluetooth issues with my OnePlus 8+ 5G.  We have a JVC deck in the truck and I use my Sennheiser PXC-550's with it almost daily.  

Yes, both phones were purchased from T-mobile.

I had one interaction with customer service about the problem.  They determined that the solution was to send an update to our SIM cards.  The agent was to call back on a particular day to check on the status of the solution.  They never called.

So, now I am back to trying to find a solution.  If I had any confidence in C.S. I’d call them again, but was hoping this community had some information I could be armed with first.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That tells you that it isn't a hardware issue with the devices.  I haven't had any Bluetooth issues with my OnePlus 8+ 5G.  We have a JVC deck in the truck and I use my Sennheiser PXC-550's with it almost daily.  

Mine is a software/ OS issue,  as it only occurred after Android 10to 11 upgrade on all 3 OP8  phones, and only with my suv.  Samsung  A32  on Android  11has no issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, both phones were purchased from T-mobile.

I had one interaction with customer service about the problem.  They determined that the solution was to send an update to our SIM cards.  The agent was to call back on a particular day to check on the status of the solution.  They never called.

So, now I am back to trying to find a solution.  If I had any confidence in C.S. I’d call them again, but was hoping this community had some information I could be armed with first.

Thank you.

I have seen a similar complaint about WiFi Calling but I haven’t had any issues with WiFi Calling.  What most people don’t realize with WiFi Calling is, the upstream is just as important as the downstream.  20Mbit up at a minimum up is a good place to start and turning QoS off.  

If it’s on cellular, a new SIM might help.  Are you using the SIM that came with the device?  Have you tried ejecting the SIM, giving it a little bit of a clean with some Isopropyl, drying it, and putting it back in?  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am also getting frustrated with my OnePlus 9 Pro 5G - Can’t always receive calls; can’t always make call; doesn’t always connect to my vehicle; when moving from Wi-Fi to cellular, I lose the cellular.

In all cases, I can solve the issue by rebooting the phone. I NEVER had this problem with my Samsung Note 10. I even regret the move to this OnePlus phone. 

Yes, it’s fully updated and yes, I did try a factory restore.

When the phone works, it’s great. But these connectivity issues are very frustrating. Today, our daughter tried to call us and I never received the call. When we met, she tried and it never rang. After rebooting the OnePlus, I was able to receive calls. All that time it showed that I had 5G signal at full bars. I NEVER saw this with any of the Samsung phones I had.

The only reason why I have not moved away from this OnePlus is simply because I am on the Jump program and the balance is still high. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am also getting frustrated with my OnePlus 9 Pro 5G - Can’t always receive calls; can’t always make call; doesn’t always connect to my vehicle; when moving from Wi-Fi to cellular, I lose the cellular.

In all cases, I can solve the issue by rebooting the phone. I NEVER had this problem with my Samsung Note 10. I even regret the move to this OnePlus phone. 

Yes, it’s fully updated and yes, I did try a factory restore.

When the phone works, it’s great. But these connectivity issues are very frustrating. Today, our daughter tried to call us and I never received the call. When we met, she tried and it never rang. After rebooting the OnePlus, I was able to receive calls. All that time it showed that I had 5G signal at full bars. I NEVER saw this with any of the Samsung phones I had.

The only reason why I have not moved away from this OnePlus is simply because I am on the Jump program and the balance is still high. 

It doesn’t matter what manufacturer and phone you move to right now, regardless of the carrier.  COVID is their excuse for these manufacturers that are just being lazy when it comes to software/firmware development and bug fixing.  Even the iPhone 12’s have their fair share of serious issues right now.  

I know this string is old, but I'm having these same issues with the OP 9 Pro and it's very stressful. Did anyone ever find a fix to it?? I'm going to try getting an updated SIM first…

Thanks for all of the info so far! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I know this string is old, but I'm having these same issues with the OP 9 Pro and it's very stressful. Did anyone ever find a fix to it?? I'm going to try getting an updated SIM first…

Thanks for all of the info so far! 

I am going to blame Google for the time being.  Even with the Pixel's, the last couple of builds for Android 12 have been compete messes.  I had to listen to my mother-in-law last night complain about the last update for her Pixel causing it to shutdown on its own.  Even a factory reset doesn't fix it and she's totally not confident enough to reflash the stock image, which is something I would recommend be done with any major OS update. 

The move to the hybrid Color/Oxygen OS doesn't help.  Even with the 8T's beta 1 build.  It's not fit to be used in moderate use or as a person's actually device they need to rely on.  I am not going to make excuses for the OnePlus Dev Team for the mess put on their shoulders but but it's like trying to clean up a large pile of vomit with a paint roller that was already dipped in paint.  

Problem solved (I think). Tried a bunch of things on my OnePlus 9 Pro 5G to solve this problem and finally called T-Mobile. A very patient technical representative helped me to disable WiFi Calling (NOT WiFi, just “WiFi Calling”). So far, I’ve tested it only once, and it didn’t drop the call or exhibit any of the negative issues I had before, like the other party not hearing my voice. I think at least one of the problem sources might be that the company who provides internet service (which affects WiFi Calling and WiFi) may be providing unreliable signal at times. NOTE: Disabling WiFi Calling may increase your cost if you don’t have unlimited minutes from your phone service provider.

Hi all. I believe this is a OnePlus issue and not carrier bc my wife has the galaxy and doesn't have this issue and we are using the same network. Also, I shouldn't have to turn off Wi-Fi calling to fix this as the phone should be capable of making Wi-Fi calls in my home! Neither should I be required to power down or clear the caches everytime this happens. I don't have the time nor the bandwidth to deal with technical support because from what I can tell from searching this issue no guidance completely solves the issue. Too bad bc this was my third OnePlus phone and I really like the camera. I'm off to try Google pixel and the galaxy.