Question

Only get LTE coverage

• 3 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

I traveled from Pennsylvania to Florida by car and never got anything better than LTE service.  I updated my phone and my carrier settings but I still only got LTE.  With a new T-Mobile Magenta account, new iPhone 11, I thought I would get 3G in areas where available.  I can’t imagine that not one state from Pennsylvania to Florida has 3G coverage in any area (hello, DC?) so what am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance! 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Do you mean 5G? LTE is faster than 3G.

If so the iPhone 11 isn’t a 5G phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The phone will prefer faster 4G LTE service to slower, less efficient 3G or 2G service. Also, all T-Mobile’s low-band coverage is either 4G LTE or 5G. At this point, 3G and 2G remains only to serve legacy devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I traveled from Pennsylvania to Florida by car and never got anything better than LTE service.  I updated my phone and my carrier settings but I still only got LTE.  With a new T-Mobile Magenta account, new iPhone 11, I thought I would get 3G in areas where available.  I can’t imagine that not one state from Pennsylvania to Florida has 3G coverage in any area (hello, DC?) so what am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance! 

i mean..if you TRULY want 3G only (zero idea why you would want to dump down to 3G) you can turn off LTE..but i have zero idea why you would want to do this

Badge

I have LTE on my phone and no 3G or 4G service.  I don’t have a 5G capable phone.  So LTE is faster than 3G?  How can they move to 5G when they can’t provide 4G?  I also have had primarily only 1- 2 bars. I find that the fewer bars I have the slower things load.  I haven’t figured out the difference between having more bars and/or the LTE/3 or 4G other no no bars = no service.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

LTE=4G...well and 5G...and carrier dependent 3G could also be LTE.

however

3G=slow

4G=faster

5G=fastest

4G LTE i pull in anywhere between 30mbps-60+mbps download..5G test just a bit ago while in my shop surrounded by signal killing things landed me at 119mbps download.

which phone do you have?

Badge

Hi fireguy, and thanks for the info!  I have an iPhone 11.  I did not know that LTE was the same as 4G, it sounds like it would be slower than anything with a G after it.  Right now I’m passing through Virginia With 1 bar & LTE.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

i normally dont judge much off how many bars there are since you can have one bar and killer speeds or maxed out bars and junk speeds..does it improve from area to area as you travel? im not sure how good or not so good signal is in Va for TMO.

Badge

There were many areas in Virginia with no network coverage.  I was trying to track bad storms as we drove from Florida to Pennsylvania and had a terrible time with both weather radar and map apps.  Coverage in northern and central Florida was terrible and the Carolinas and Georgia was spotty unless we were near a city.  IMHO the coverage is nowhere near as advertised.  I restarted my iPhone & updated carrier settings but it did not improve.