Solved

Out-of-Plan Charges - Unheard of!

• 15 February 2017
  • 6 replies

While attempting to make a conference call, I was notified the call would cost 1 cent per minute unless I hung up now.  T-Mobile claims they have always had this fee for conference calls, radio broadcast lines, etc.  I have never heard of it before and no other carriers charge this fee.  Where is this information? I read the T&C's and it's not there.  So much for my "unlimited" plan.  The conf call numbers are usually in Iowa or N. Dakota, etc.  So I can call Mexico and Canada for free, but not Iowa or N. Dakota? 

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 21 February 2017, 19:26

Hey @562deb562‌.  Since you mention that you've been calling numbers like these for some time, I'd guess that the Out-Of-Plan-Numbers message may have caught you by surprise - I'm sorry about that.  Our unlimited talk and text plans are intended for direct communication between two people (or three-way calling completed through your native dialer) - so in that sense, calls connecting to this limited group of numbers have always been "out of plan".  Connecting these out-of-plan calls has always cost more than connecting other calls, but the practice to help recover some of the cost with a small usage fee is new, you are 100% right about that - if we advised you otherwise, I apologize.

Potential charges for specific numbers is referenced in the T-Mobile Terms and Conditions‌ under the section headed *How Will I Be Billed For Use Of The Services - though they're not addressed by name.  In older versions of the T&C, I believe the potential for charges was alluded to in the Billing Information > Usage section, but loosely.  I think that the document that @gramps28‌ linked to does a better job of explaining these specific fees than our T&C.

If at any point you encounter the Out-Of-Plan message on a call that you don't think should be part of this subset of numbers - say, to a person's mobile number, home or business, and not a chat, conference, or broadcast line (for example), then we would definitely love to hear from you so that we can investigate and correct the matter. 
Thank you very much for your feedback on this and for taking the time to post here, and again please accept my apology if we handled this in a way that seemed less than transparent - we always want to be open with our customers.

- Marissa

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Out-of-plan phone numbers FAQs

Userlevel 6

Hey @562deb562‌.  Since you mention that you've been calling numbers like these for some time, I'd guess that the Out-Of-Plan-Numbers message may have caught you by surprise - I'm sorry about that.  Our unlimited talk and text plans are intended for direct communication between two people (or three-way calling completed through your native dialer) - so in that sense, calls connecting to this limited group of numbers have always been "out of plan".  Connecting these out-of-plan calls has always cost more than connecting other calls, but the practice to help recover some of the cost with a small usage fee is new, you are 100% right about that - if we advised you otherwise, I apologize.

Potential charges for specific numbers is referenced in the T-Mobile Terms and Conditions‌ under the section headed *How Will I Be Billed For Use Of The Services - though they're not addressed by name.  In older versions of the T&C, I believe the potential for charges was alluded to in the Billing Information > Usage section, but loosely.  I think that the document that @gramps28‌ linked to does a better job of explaining these specific fees than our T&C.

If at any point you encounter the Out-Of-Plan message on a call that you don't think should be part of this subset of numbers - say, to a person's mobile number, home or business, and not a chat, conference, or broadcast line (for example), then we would definitely love to hear from you so that we can investigate and correct the matter. 
Thank you very much for your feedback on this and for taking the time to post here, and again please accept my apology if we handled this in a way that seemed less than transparent - we always want to be open with our customers.

- Marissa

I think this is misleading. When I was with aTt I wasn’t charged for this. It’s an as meeting, this does not make me happ!

I couldn’t agree more that this is deceptive at best.

T-Mobile claims to SHOW ALL COSTS to their clients (me being new) - no hidden fees.  What the heck is this?  This is the exact definition of a hidden fee.  

Stop lying to your customers.  This is upsetting at best...unethical at worst.  

It’s great that you say it is buried in your technical information.  Tell people why and what you mean when you talk about it.  You can say it is person to person calling, but you allow other call-in numbers to work with no additional fee (Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, etc.). 

Don’t insult us with it is for direct communications between 2 people.  That is simply not true and dishonest.  A large percentage of your customers use a cell phone to call into conference calls for work purposes.  Thankfully, not all of them fall under this crazy rule.  Just telling us you have added it, buried deep in your T&C doesn’t make it less deceptive...in fact, makes it more deceptive and again...a hidden fee that you pretend to be against.   

I was also never charged for this while at AT&T.  A few months in, I am starting to regret switching already...ugh 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

When you call another carrier (mobile or landline), T-Mobile pays a small “termination fee” to that carrier. The rates are mostly standard between carriers, so it normally works out even. A few rural telephone companies have been granted the right to charge much higher termination fees than standard. As long as this was paid for customers calling Uncle Harry on the farm, it was not a problem. However, some companies figured out how to get rich by setting up “free” conference lines (chat rooms) by abusing the termination fee “loophole”. To T-Mobile’s credit, they are fighting back against this abusive practice by surcharging calls to these, so called, “free” conference lines.  

I have been calling into my company's conference line (provided by join.me) for months and suddenly today I couldn’t call in without being charged. I was able to call into it on Monday with no problem. We have made 0 changes to our plans or have been alerted of these changes.