Over HS Data, Ookla still shows LTE speeds

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Suppose when T-Mobile will start representing the speeds correctly once you reach the end of your HS data allotment via data speed apps?  I know I am at 128kbps or less, but Speedtest app still states 75Mbps up and 35Mbps down.  Neither T-Force nor Ookla have responded.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Only answer I got 2 days later was:

T-Mobile

The third party app your using is pinging the tower and giving the response of what you should be getting which would be correct had you had more data. I understand its confusing. The application is working as expected. Its not giving your personal info...It giving what you would get if not throttled. I hope that helps. Thanks again for reaching out to T-Force. Have a great rest of your night! *MistyA

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

They did point me to:  http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest    Of course that is a mobile site, which isn't compatible with the Chrome browser, and is not zero-rated for data like the Speedtest.net app.  Hmmmm.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hmm, that's interesting.

I use the Ookla app on my phone and the speed results tend to reflect what connection I'm currently on. I did a little experiment to test this theory. For example, I set my phone to 2G only and the speeds were significantly lower than when I was connected to LTE. Keep in mind, I still have HS data available to use, but it makes sense to me that my speeds were slower since I'm connected to 2G. This makes me think the Ookla speed test should show results that correspond with the connection your phone receiving. I know this may seem like a silly question but I have to ask. Were you connected to Wi-Fi when you got the 75Mbps/35Mbps results?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I was on the T-Mobile network.  I consistently get speeds of 50-75 Mbps in my area.  I think that the app sees that I have an LTE connection, but still, it should show the lesser speeds, since I am receiving lesser speeds.  It's as if the throttle is taken off for use with that app.  Seems there was some controversy a few months back regarding this exact issue where T-Mobile was still reporting LTE speeds even after allotment on SpeedTest.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I agree. I don't think the app should show faster speeds in this instance. Can you do me a favor and run the speed test that's built into the Google Chrome browser? You should be able to just type in "speed test" and get to it. I'd just like to know if it's showing the same speeds as the Ookla app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

speed test shows me my current speed which is not throttled.  I am into a new month now, so the study is skewed.  Id have to wait about 3.5 more weeks to try that with throttled speeds.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh, well okay. I only wanted you to test that if we could repeat the same conditions. I wouldn't want you to be throttled of course, but if by chance you're able to that, I'm curious what the speed test will show. So, feel free to share what you find.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Basically, no matter if I am throttled or not, the test shows similar LTE speeds.  IOW, the test does not reflect actual speeds after throttle.  That app is the only zero-rated app for T-Mobile.  See where this is going?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I see what you're saying.

I found some blogs mentioning that other folks were getting inaccurate readings when running speed tests particularly with Ookla. I'm curious, do you get a text message from T-Mobile once you've been throttled?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes, I get a message from T-Mobile to a link (dslreports) to see actual throttled speeds, but of course it is not data-exempt.

T-Mobile forced to stop hiding slow speeds from throttled customers | Ars Technica

• Send customers a text message once they hit their monthly high-speed data allotment linking to a speed test that customers can use to determine their actual reduced speed;
  • Provide a button on customer smartphones linking to a speed test that will show actual reduced speeds;
  • Modify the text messages it currently sends to customers once they hit their monthly high-speed data allotment to make it clear that certain speed tests may show network speeds, rather than their reduced speed. The modified texts also will provide more information about the speeds that will be available after customers exceed their data cap; and
  • Modify its website disclosures to better explain T-Mobile’s policies regarding speed test applications and where consumers can get accurate speed information.

T-Mobile customers can now get throttled data speeds on a speed test

T-Mobile confirms speed-test apps exempt from data allowances - TmoNews

OOKLA Speedtest App being removed from throttling? - TmoNews

https://9to5mac.com/2014/11/25/t-mobile-fcc-throttled-data-speeds/

https://www.publicknowledge.org/news-blog/blogs/t-mobile-disguising-throttling-with-new-speed-test-data-cap-exemptions

FCC: T-Mobile can no longer lie about throttled data cap speeds

FCC orders T-Mobile to stop misleading throttled customers about speeds

So, seems reporting of the real speed is still an issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I'll do more digging on this and see what else I can find out for you. From what I've gathered, you should be able to use the link in the message to get your speeds and get an accurate reading. I'll take this to some internal folks and keep you posted with what I find. Thanks for being so thorough.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The point is, is that the message takes me to dsl reports for an accurate reading, but requires billable data to do so.  The SpeedTest . net app is data-exempt by T-Mobile, but doesn't read correctly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I get your point.

The puzzling part about the Ookla readings, is that we don't have any reports of this being a problem now. AFAIK, it should show that you're throttled when you run the test.

Doesn't seem right that you'd get a link in a message from us that you can't use. Do you get some kind of error when you try to open the link or when you run the speed test?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I can follow the link.  I can test the speed, BUT that data used for the test is NOT free.  This is strange for sure, especially if there are no other complaints since the FCC stepped in.  I'll have to do a bit more work and ask around.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for that info.

I'll be sure to keep digging around myself. If anything changes or I get any new info about this, I'll let you know what I find.