Solved

Phone calls don't work on ATT unlocked phone

Hi,

For the past couple months I've been having issue with phone calls on a ATT unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 5, 4G data and text works but phone will not. Any help will be appreciated I am located in NYC area BTW.

Thanks​

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 3 August 2017, 00:21

Thanks for clarifying! I just double checked the list of impacted phones and your specific phone is not on that list. The specific issue you are having is a coverage level issue and this is something that we can definitely look into. Please Contact Us when you have some time so that our tech support teams can get a service ticket sent up to our engineers.

View original

35 replies

It may be do to software issue, try doing a  software update via samsung smart switch via a computer. But the fact is that most phones may not work due that carriers use different bands.

There have been a number of issues with BYOD's in the NYC market recently. T-Mobile did some network upgrades that moved the UMTS signal to the AWS band and converted the PCS band to LTE. This should not be a problem for the Note 5 except that I might suggest that you look in the settings and make sure that VoLTE is turned on. It sounds like your phone is trying to fall back to UMTS for voice and not finding it. With that phone you should be using VoLTE.

Userlevel 5

Hey there! Just checking in here to see how things are going. Were you able to get your VoLTE enabled on the phone? Are you still having issues with calling?

Yes, I am still having issue after updated the phone to the latest Android 7 Nougat, the VOLTE option is not available. I am very disappointed with T-Mobile for not able to fix this basic function of a cell phone as a carrier. Stop advertising BYOD if you are not be able to support it!!

Userlevel 5

I am very sorry to hear that you are still having issues with making and receiving calls. Text messages travel over the voice network so there may be a different reason your calls are failing. Are you hearing or seeing any specific error when attempting to place a call? Out of curiosity, do you know anyone else with T-Mobile that is having the same issue in the same area as you?

Chris,

Please read other posts in this discussion board and tell me how many of us are having call issue in NYC

Userlevel 5

I am aware that users with specific devices in this area that utilized U1900 will no longer get 3G/4G as we upgraded that frequency to LTE but since your text is working and text uses the voice network and you are still able to connect to 4G, I do not believe you are being impacted by the network upgrade. The questions I asked above were to help me better understand why your phone is only having issues making calls.

Chris,

No error. If somebody is trying to call me it goes straight to voicemail, If I make a phone call, sometime if I am outside and lucky with full bar after about 15 to 20 seconds then the call will go thru but the voice will breakup, most of the time it will just stay silent. I first thought it was my phone and tried with a Verizon unlocked Galaxy S5 and it's doing the samething.

PS. If the call go thru on my phone I can see the 4G LTE signal will drop and it goes to EDGE and come back as 4G LTE as soon as I hung up

magenta2280492 wrote:

PS. If the call go thru on my phone I can see the 4G LTE signal will drop and it goes to EDGE and come back as 4G LTE as soon as I hung up

This is quite diagnostic of incompatible VoLTE.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for clarifying! I just double checked the list of impacted phones and your specific phone is not on that list. The specific issue you are having is a coverage level issue and this is something that we can definitely look into. Please Contact Us when you have some time so that our tech support teams can get a service ticket sent up to our engineers.

Okay, had a ticket logged and the solution i was given was GET A T-MOBILE PHONE! This is a joke! They tricked you on signing up with them then they mess with your service and then they tell you the only solution is to get their phone. Even tho AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is still showing as compatible device in their website but it's actually not compatible. Stay away from T-MOBILE

That would be the same reply as if it was att or any other carrier. Not all the phones will work 100%. Technology advances quicker than manufacturers can produce phones, and carriers have to keep up if you want to stay in the game.

Galaxy Note 5 is not an old technology phone, even T-Mobile is still selling it. What I am saying is as a Service Provider, your main goal is to provide your services to your PAID customer, if you can't then at least set your customer expectations by letting them know ahead of time. Not only we didn't get the services that we paid for nor any notices about the upgrade, what makes it worst is that this model is still showing as compatible in their own website even tho they know it's NOT!

But is it compatible under gsm bands... under wcdma that's where it gets funny, LTE just as delicious

You can defend them all you want, but that don't change the fact that I paid for Voice, Data and Text services which they couldn't deliver right now regardless of the band if that is GSM, LTE, WCDMA or whatever. If the band is such an important piece on providing the service then they should let the customer know that before people signing up, not after the fact!

Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer

Yup, that came out on Aug, 2 2017 (a week ago).

Latest update. There have been similar statements for as long as I can remember.

Here's the 2011 version: https://web.archive.org/web/20110925143716/support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1265

I'm not defending anyone it is a simple fact....

The 2011 version did not state the band requirement, but anyway I am done with this.

That's nice, have a great day. But I do have to say I just love it how it's word-ed "T-Mobile cannot and does not guarantee the functionality or performance of any handsets or devices that were not sold by T-Mobile or an authorized dealer of T-Mobile ("Non-T-Mobile Devices") for use on the T-Mobile network."

Userlevel 3

+1 on this.  While you can bring your own phone, not all features will always work.  I had this similar issue with Galaxy S8+ unlocked vs. T-Mobile sold phone.  First I tried the International version...no WiFi calling or VoLTE.  Then I tried the Carrier Unlocked version...Native DIGITS was not supported.  I've seen similar discussions surrounding WiFi-Calling and VoLTE when bringing other devices to T-Mobile.  I'm sure when you start talking about AWS-3 band 66, Carrier Aggregation, 4xMIMO and QAM-256, you'd best have a T-Mobile sold phone.

Just make sure and do your homework.

Simple point is: assuming everything will work flawlessly is...well...you know...

Ditto, same problem. CS asked me to get T-Mobile phone.

I'm suggesting that people who are forced to buy a T-Mobile phone because of this either use Jump! or buy a cheap one. Over the next few years, T-Mobile will be rolling out 600 MHz (band-71) LTE nationwide, but the phones are't yet available. If you buy an expensive phone now, it will be obsolescent in 6 months.

Before you go buy a TMO phone follow the below instruction if you have the Note 5, it makes a hugh different on phone calls.

Dial *#2263# > [1] Band Selection > [7] LTE/GSM Auto