Solved

Phone cuts in and out regardless of wifi or LTE

I have a Samsung 8 with T Mobile. The phone is not damaged. Since the Covid 19 pandemic, my phone has been cutting in and out during calls, sometimes will not send text messages, and it does not seem to matter if I turn my wifi on or off, though sometimes the phone works better with the wifi off. It is very frustrating. I haven't moved, and nothing has changed...the only think I can think of is that either there are too many people in my area because they are at home during quarantine, or that T mobile's signal is crappy right now... please help? Thanks

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 5 May 2020, 00:44

View original

14 replies

Hi - I’m having the same issue.  I got an iPhone 13 last year and recently I’m being told that the call cuts in and out (regardless of incoming or outgoing).  I have wifi calling disabled, have btw 2 and 4 bars (it varies a lot) and when I make a call it often takes a while to connect (doesn’t matter if I’m in the house).  Trying to figure out the root cause and how to troubleshoot.  I did not have this issue with Verizon. My home is in the 5G map area too.  Any advise / suggestions would be so helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

another quicky test would be to put your sim card into his phone and his into yours..see if the problem follows or not. if the problem stays with your device then it might be something going on with the phone itself.  if the problem follows it might be the sim card itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

S10e vs Note 10 .. only difference should be the case itself.  I also mistakenly put in B41, which isn’t on those devices.  I think I also mistaken you having the S8 to the original poster.

oh my bad..mine is a s10e and my husband has a note 10. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Looks like Samsung S8 supports LTE B2 / B66 / B41 and B12

B2/66/41 are ‘midband’ (not great indoors or as good for coverage), while B12 is ‘longer range’

B71 has more capacity  typically. 

Similarly, S8 can aggregate B2/B4 (66) and B12, which is good.

Is your husband’s also an S8 ?

I can’t guess what spectrum and bands are available in your area (i.e. B71 is common mostly nationwide, while B12 is not as common - more regional.

Samsung S10e has B2/B4/B5/B12/B41/B71  SM-G970U

https://swappa.com/guide/samsung-galaxy-s10e/network

Samsung S8 SM-G950U

https://swappa.com/guide/samsung-galaxy-s8/network

This could be verified with Samsung internal diagnostics (painful to use).   Cellmapper and location would show what is local for you.

so tmobile sent me a phone that doesn't work?my husband's phone is older that mine and works fine.  how do I check if mine has this b17?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Some of those older phones also do not have lte b12 or b71, which is typically better for calls, imho.   Ie most calls end up for me on lte600 (b71) or Lte 700 (b12) even though I have good service  on b2, b66 n41, n25 and n71.  The others are typically used for data, in my use.

same thing happens toe Samsung s10e....except my husband's 1 yr older phone has no issues so its not the house or area I'm in

..its infuriating!I havev4 full bars and a full wifi signal.i can't hold conversations on my phone but on his I can.also having issues sending and receiving texts,  also calls take 30 seconds or more to actually connect if I try to call out. I have true to clear cache and reset network settings multiple times with no luck.  what the hell?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if you have other TMO phones around you seeing the same thing then its pointing at a network issue. if those same phones are also on your account then its possible it could be a account issue..maybe..is this problem only happening at one main location or everywhere you go? and depending on what phone you have you can also try using wifi calling and see if that helps or not.

I am not sure why every time I am on a phone call my calls are severely intermittent. It is constantly cutting in/out. My wifi is turned off, the bars are solid. I have restarted my phone numerous times, I am noticing that I am not the only one, but this is beyond frustrating for sure!

I’ve been noticing this happening a lot recently as well. I’m on iPhone 11 Pro. Service/data speeds will suddenly cut out and be non-responsive for minutes at a time.

no pattern to what time of day it is or anything. 

what the fuck am I paying $100/month for?

Same happens to me. Has been happening for months with IPhone 8. 

Thanks for responding. When it happens again I'll look and respond to you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

When you take a look at the signal, does it fluctuate or stay solid? I'm also curious if it's only happening when you message or call specific number? A great place to start is using our Signal issues / no service troubleshooting | T-Mobile Support page for steps on how to help.