Question

Pixel 6 wifi calling not working

• 5 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good morning.  I upgraded to the Pixel 6 (TMO Variant) last weekend and wifi calling does NOT work, whereas my Pixel 5 (unlocked Google variant) did.  This is a big deal with where I work being in a metal/cement building (data center) and the signal is very weak or non existent.  I called Customer Care and they were very helpful, but ended up directing me to Google Fi support.  Fi support is not answering my email, so I am at a loss as to where to go with this problem.  Does anyone know if a patch, or fix is upcoming for this problem?  Thanks!  

6 replies

I also am facing the same exact issue as are many others apparently across many networks according to Reddit. One story mentioned 

Google needs to get it together. I called T-Mobile and made a case to report the issue. 

For now I disabled wifi calling because when it's enabled and I connect to Wi-Fi I seem to completely lose signal and don't get any text messages until I turn WiFi off, or turn WiFi calling off. 

Also "googling" the issue seems to show almost no results. Thanks to Bing I found this thread

​​​​​

​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There always seems to be a thread or two pop up every so often with people complaining that WiFi Calling does not work on various devices.  T-Mobile uses Google’s default implementation of WiFi Calling for Android.  If there was an issue with it, it would affect every Android device on a particular build of the apk service.  With a new version of Android though and Google’s new Tensor Processor.  It could very well be something with the Pixel 6’s, although if it was.  I’m pretty sure I would have known about it by know.  I’ve got at least half a dozen friends all with Pixel 6/6 Pro’s right now and this is not a complaint I have heard from any of them.  

Have you tried enabling WiFi Calling on different WiFi networks?  Do those connections support enough bandwidth and devices to adequately make that WiFi connection?  Are your devices set to WiFi Calling Preferred under Network?  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good morning guys, thanks for the pointers.  Some answers to the questions:  

Have you tried enabling WiFi Calling on different WiFi networks?  Yes - at work and at home.  I work in a Data Center (network engineering) and the walls are steel and concrete supports.  This is why wifi calling is critical to not missing calls/texts.  

Do those connections support enough bandwidth and devices to adequately make that WiFi connection? Yes, home Xfinity/Comcast & at work Fiber optics out to the internet with plenty of speed/throughput to support calling. My Pixel 5 had no issues whatsoever supporting wifi calling in both locations.  

Are your devices set to WiFi Calling Preferred under Network?  Yes, I am having to flip back and forth to test, trying not to miss calls/texts as the signal goes in out and out.  There is a decent N71 signal in some parts of the building, but not so much in other areas.  

Thanks!  

Userlevel 1
Badge

There always seems to be a thread or two pop up every so often with people complaining that WiFi Calling does not work on various devices.  T-Mobile uses Google’s default implementation of WiFi Calling for Android.  If there was an issue with it, it would affect every Android device on a particular build of the apk service.  With a new version of Android though and Google’s new Tensor Processor.  It could very well be something with the Pixel 6’s, although if it was.  I’m pretty sure I would have known about it by know.  I’ve got at least half a dozen friends all with Pixel 6/6 Pro’s right now and this is not a complaint I have heard from any of them.  

Have you tried enabling WiFi Calling on different WiFi networks?  Do those connections support enough bandwidth and devices to adequately make that WiFi connection?  Are your devices set to WiFi Calling Preferred under Network?  

Wanted to provide an update.  So after 2x having conversations with TMO & working with tier 2 support.  They have pulled all levers trying to get wifi calling working on my Pixel 6.  They opened a ticket with Engineering and are going to call me back this coming Sunday. I am hopeful for a fix before I have to roll back to my Pixel 5 temporarily or figure out other options. Missing important work calls and texts is not a good situation. If any of your contacts know of a fix that would be welcome news.  :-)   

Same issue with my parents - Wifi Calling set to enable and prefer cellular, but lots of issues with dropped calls or problems answering.  Had to turn it off in full.

They just came from older OnePlus units and had no T-Mobile calling problems. The internet is awash with Pixel 6 wifi calling complaints right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I literally was on a call for an hour and a half this morning using WiFi Calling on my 8T.  Not a single issue!  I use WiFi Calling regularly on the 8T and 7 Pro because there is no service inside of our apartment.