Question

Problems connecting to Google over T-Mobile 5G data

I got a new iPhone 12 mini a couple months back and have been having lots of trouble with the 5G data.

The most common pattern is one where I cannot connect to any Google services while using T-Mobile 5G data – I can’t use any Google websites like Google search in Safari, and I can’t refresh my email in the Gmail app or load any maps in the Google maps app. If I check other websites or apps (like DuckDuckGo for search), they will often be working fine over T-Mobile 5G data at the same time that Google apps are not working.

This morning I decided to do some debugging by testing in exactly the same location with Wi-Fi turned on and off:

On T-Mobile 5G data (WiFi switched off):

- Google maps and Gmail app would not load anything new, Google search would not load in the Safari browser app

- Ookla speed test app showed decent but not great bandwidth - about 60mb down and 20mb up

- DuckDuckGo loaded and ran searches with no problems in the Safari browser app

With WiFi switched on:

- Google maps and Gmail app worked fine loading new content, and the Google search website loaded fine in safari

There are other patterns of weirdness that I’ve experienced since getting this 5G phone, but the Google one seems to be the most common.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a way to resolve them?

I’m concerned a support request will just get bounced around between T-Mobile (who seems most likely to be positioned and have the tools to resolve this problem), Google (who I expect to not have any support available whatsoever) and Apple (who I expect can’t do anything because the phone itself seems to be operating perfectly).

Thanks foe anything you all can share.

19 replies

Hey there!

I’ve been experiencing the exact same issue and I think it’s a T-Mobile DNS resolution bug. Not sure what the root cause is, but I downloaded Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1 app, which enables a VPN on your phone with the Cloudflare DNS resolver. So far, that seems to have worked around the issue.

Hope this helps; would love to get an official response as well.

Same here, and it started after I returned from abroad.

I’ve found thousands of forum posts with the same issue. Hours on the phone to Google, a new SIM from T-Mobile, AND a new iPhone replacement and no luck.

The Cloudflare app has seemed to fix it for now, thanks for that comment :sweat_smile:

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

are all of your devices purchased from TMO or directly from Apple/another source?

Mine is direct from Apple.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Mine is direct from Apple.

cross check your APN settings to make sure they are correct

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings

I have no option to change those - I’ll contact T-Mobile but the network settings have been reset multiple times.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

was it direct from Apple but for TMO? or was it from Apple and purchased fully carrier unlocked?

It’s the replacement they sent under warranty because of the issues I have. The original one was T-Mobile pre-activated. Not sure about this one, but it seems the same.

It doesn’t have the additional mobile data options, which suggests it isn’t fully carrier unlocked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

yeah the TMO variant wont have the APN accessible.. so ruled that out as an option.

Have exact same problem and also on iPhone 12 mini. Actually had issues loading this page since it must apparently use some Google services. 

Having the exact same problem on my iPhone 12 Pro Max only over 5G. Has been happening to myself in multiple cities since I switched to TMO last month; Denver, Atlanta, and Louisville. The CloudFlare workaround works for myself but not very happy having to jump on a VPN profile to use Google Maps, Google Photos, etc over cellular . I updated to iOS 15 today and was hoping the associated Carrier Settings update (47.1) would have made any sort of difference and it has not. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Having the exact same problem on my iPhone 12 Pro Max only over 5G. Has been happening to myself in multiple cities since I switched to TMO last month; Denver, Atlanta, and Louisville. The CloudFlare workaround works for myself but not very happy having to jump on a VPN profile to use Google Maps, Google Photos, etc over cellular . I updated to iOS 15 today and was hoping the associated Carrier Settings update (47.1) would have made any sort of difference and it has not. 

this fix is going to have to come from Apple. device specific and when it comes to Apple..well...anything..they wont let anyone but themselves mess with it.

were the phones purchased directly from Apple? and if so were they purchased carrier unlocked or unlocked but for TMO?

For my particular phone, it was bought unlocked from Apple last year. For what it’s worth, I came from AT&T and preformed the Network Reset on the device after about a day with TMO.

I have an network analyzer tool on my iPhone and shows over 5G that the DNS Query is a dud over 5G and is successful over WiFi (AT&T Fiber) for a DNS Query to “maps.google.com”.

5G:

WiFi:

And here was the query. Can see the TMO DNS address:

The internet is sure a magical place of routes. I’m sure eventually TMO will make some DNS “enhancements” :-)

West Los Angeles and same story here. Tried calling them to speak with super dumb representatives: sent them a few links to few discussions like this one but they seem to be technically illiterate. DNS? Whats that?

later than told me 5G is not fully operational in this area. Really? So their map is composed by liars?

Later they send text message that 5G UC is available in my area but this problem is still here!!!!! Of course if I call again they will tell 5G is not fully operational…

Really. When will they solve it?

I got a new iPhone 12 mini a couple months back and have been having lots of trouble with the 5G data.

The most common pattern is one where I cannot connect to any Google services while using T-Mobile 5G data – I can’t use any Google websites like Google search in Safari, and I can’t refresh my email in the Gmail app or load any maps in the Google maps app. If I check other websites or apps (like DuckDuckGo for search), they will often be working fine over T-Mobile 5G data at the same time that Google apps are not working.

This morning I decided to do some debugging by testing in exactly the same location with Wi-Fi turned on and off:

On T-Mobile 5G data (WiFi switched off):

- Google maps and Gmail app would not load anything new, Google search would not load in the Safari browser app

- Ookla speed test app showed decent but not great bandwidth - about 60mb down and 20mb up

- DuckDuckGo loaded and ran searches with no problems in the Safari browser app

With WiFi switched on:

- Google maps and Gmail app worked fine loading new content, and the Google search website loaded fine in safari

There are other patterns of weirdness that I’ve experienced since getting this 5G phone, but the Google one seems to be the most common.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a way to resolve them?

I’m concerned a support request will just get bounced around between T-Mobile (who seems most likely to be positioned and have the tools to resolve this problem), Google (who I expect to not have any support available whatsoever) and Apple (who I expect can’t do anything because the phone itself seems to be operating perfectly).

Thanks foe anything you all can share.

Hello… I HAVE THE EXACT ISSUES !!!!!

T MOBILE TECHNICAL SUPPORT… are you addressing this issue? This is a real issue on 5G…. We have two handsets and experience there same issues!

please respond!!!!

Recently decided to give them another call and spent an hour answering all the questions like “have you reset network settings”. I told him that I will waste time doing this only of they confirm that is an actual solution.

They promised to investigate and inform me. Nothing happened yet. The only thing their technician told me “I work here for a long time and never heard of this issue, never. If it exists only a few are affected”.

i was acting like a parrot repeating dozen times “Google/Yahoo/Bing to “T-mobile 5g google services”, check your own community pages”.

Have a guess… actually two guesses:

• They know about the issue but its very hard to fix it (lets say there is some misconfiguration on thousands of stations that needs manual update) so! They do not acknowledge it to save their face.
  • Their network is supported by morons and technical support is awful so they are really not aware and our support tickets are never reported to those who actually manage the network.

Guess why no T-Mobile engineer ever replied here.