Question

Problems connecting to Google over T-Mobile 5G data

Userlevel 1

I got a new iPhone 12 mini a couple months back and have been having lots of trouble with the 5G data.

The most common pattern is one where I cannot connect to any Google services while using T-Mobile 5G data – I can’t use any Google websites like Google search in Safari, and I can’t refresh my email in the Gmail app or load any maps in the Google maps app. If I check other websites or apps (like DuckDuckGo for search), they will often be working fine over T-Mobile 5G data at the same time that Google apps are not working.

This morning I decided to do some debugging by testing in exactly the same location with Wi-Fi turned on and off:

On T-Mobile 5G data (WiFi switched off):

- Google maps and Gmail app would not load anything new, Google search would not load in the Safari browser app

- Ookla speed test app showed decent but not great bandwidth - about 60mb down and 20mb up

- DuckDuckGo loaded and ran searches with no problems in the Safari browser app

With WiFi switched on:

- Google maps and Gmail app worked fine loading new content, and the Google search website loaded fine in safari

There are other patterns of weirdness that I’ve experienced since getting this 5G phone, but the Google one seems to be the most common.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a way to resolve them?

I’m concerned a support request will just get bounced around between T-Mobile (who seems most likely to be positioned and have the tools to resolve this problem), Google (who I expect to not have any support available whatsoever) and Apple (who I expect can’t do anything because the phone itself seems to be operating perfectly).

Thanks foe anything you all can share.

27 replies

I am on my 2nd phone   Velvet   android  in less than a year. this is a refurbished phone they gave under insurance. Same issues with 5G   but im beginning to think its has nothing to so with this. The tech at t-mobile just put it on Lte and says its should work now.  but that's still not the case.  My calls are getting dropped in the middle of them,  people cant call me or text me. Texts aren't going through. I have to restart my phone over 6 times a day & this does nothing.  The other 4 phones in this house are with t-mobile &  5G's dont have this issue    2 are apples & 2 are androids.  Mine has been the only one with these issues.

I wish t-mobile would listen to use & not shrug us away.   im paying a lotbof money for a phone to not work.

I got a new iPhone 12 mini a couple months back and have been having lots of trouble with the 5G data.

The most common pattern is one where I cannot connect to any Google services while using T-Mobile 5G data – I can’t use any Google websites like Google search in Safari, and I can’t refresh my email in the Gmail app or load any maps in the Google maps app. If I check other websites or apps (like DuckDuckGo for search), they will often be working fine over T-Mobile 5G data at the same time that Google apps are not working.

This morning I decided to do some debugging by testing in exactly the same location with Wi-Fi turned on and off:

On T-Mobile 5G data (WiFi switched off):

- Google maps and Gmail app would not load anything new, Google search would not load in the Safari browser app

- Ookla speed test app showed decent but not great bandwidth - about 60mb down and 20mb up

- DuckDuckGo loaded and ran searches with no problems in the Safari browser app

With WiFi switched on:

- Google maps and Gmail app worked fine loading new content, and the Google search website loaded fine in safari

There are other patterns of weirdness that I’ve experienced since getting this 5G phone, but the Google one seems to be the most common.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a way to resolve them?

I’m concerned a support request will just get bounced around between T-Mobile (who seems most likely to be positioned and have the tools to resolve this problem), Google (who I expect to not have any support available whatsoever) and Apple (who I expect can’t do anything because the phone itself seems to be operating perfectly).

Thanks foe anything you all can share.

I've just recently started experiencing this issue with T-Mobile. Bought my new Galaxy a 53. I was using a Galaxy note 10 plus that was 4G and never experienced the problem of connecting to Google maps or other Google products on the t-mobile network. It srarted with this new 5g phone. It's not a constant problem but enough whereas it as it has become an issue. My daughter has the same phone and she says on occasion she experiences it but not too often. I decided to use the advice I've seen on this forum and download the cloudflare app.  This worked right away however it would be nice if a fix was found.