Question

Requesting TMo lease space on a new AT&T tower?

• 12 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

We live in an area of town with very poor cellular coverage from all three major carriers (TMo, ATT, V) due to surrounding mountains.   ATT is constructing a new cell tower to address this and has built it so other carriers can “lease” space. (I don’t know how there cooperative agreements work, but I’m assuming this is common place…).  

I really don’t want to switch to ATT.  Is there any way to request TMo consider incorporating this new tower in their network?  I’m guessing the answer is “LOL. Dream on, kiddo!”.  

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

anything like this would be more than likely years in the making to get an agreement going and then actually get to the point of putting their equipment on said tower.

Userlevel 1

These days the majority of towers in the US are owned by the “big 3” American Tower, Crown Castle, and SBA, so it’s  unlikely it is really an AT&T tower, maybe they are just the first tenant.   But in any case a carrier such as T-mobile needs to be convinced that the cost of going on that tower is money well spent (maybe there are other places with a greater need)

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

These days the majority of towers in the US are owned by the “big 3” American Tower, Crown Castle, and SBA, so it’s  unlikely it is really an AT&T tower, maybe they are just the first tenant.   But in any case a carrier such as T-mobile needs to be convinced that the cost of going on that tower is money well spent (maybe there are other places with a greater need)

not to mention they would look into how many actual TMO devices/customers are in that area then figure out if the cost of jumping onto said tower is going to make them money, break them even or lose money by doing so.