Roaming in Greece

• 20 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

My wife an I just returned from a 10-day tour of Greece where we roamed on the Cosmote network. Just after arrival at Athens, I used to T-Mobile app to sign up for the 10-day high-speed Data Pass on my phone while my wife used the regular slow roaming included with our 55+ plan. I was very impressed. I ran several speed tests while there and regularly got download speeds in excess of 100 Mbps with upload speeds around 30 Mbps. I only used about 1.3 GB of the 5 GB pass during the 10 days because so many hotels and restaurants had free WiFi. I regularly watched YouTube videos on the cellular data as well as briefly joining one Zoom meeting while on the ferry between the islands on Tinos and Paros.

Generally, I didn’t really need the Data Pass because there was so much WiFi available everywhere but it was nice to have. During the trip ScamShiled deflected about 100 potential Scam calls. I did receive one incoming call from my wife’s 96 year-old aunt, who called at 2:00 AM because she was unaware we were in Greece, which was 8 hours ahead of her time zone. 

The only issue we had involved getting the verification text for in-flight GoGo WiFi on my OnePlus 8T. I had to take the phone out of Airplane Mode+WiFi to get the text then put it back in Airplane Mode after the service was verified. My wife’s S20 5G had no problems receiving the text in Airplane Mode. I reported this as a potential bug via Twitter.

3 replies

I also just returned from a vacation to Athens, Greece.

Cosmote was terrible.  Standing outside a Cosmote location, with huge antennas on their roof, and still poor to non-existent connection.   My phone would update about every 1 to 2 hours. Emails could not be opened or sent. The best coverage was in our hotels.

Greece is hit or miss proposition when it comes to roaming coverage.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I also just returned from a vacation to Athens, Greece.

Cosmote was terrible.  …….

Greece is hit or miss proposition when it comes to roaming coverage.

This demonstrates how it’s possible for two people to have completely different experiences. I can’t say “Roaming in Greece is great any more than @gizmo1991 can say “It’s terrible.” All either of us can do is say, “This was my experience.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I used T-Mobile roaming a few years back on what I think was Cosmote in Corfu from the port to Agios Spiridon Beach as well as Katakolo  to Olympia by train.  Just as a note, I used mostly text and 2g/3g (back then) and was on the 128kbps (included free) plan.