Solved

Samsung s20 Fe doesn't stay connected to 5G for more than a min, HELP.

• 10 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a month old Fe and I noticed that it will not stay connected to 5G for longer than a minute even with full coverage ( 4 bars). It will quickly reverse back to 4G LTE. When I force it to connect to band 71 NR using samsung band selection app, it will connect to 5G sometimes. I know my area has very good 5G signal -76db, and 5G NSA works on other 5G phones. I did every single setting change that could be possible including factory data reset as suggested by Samsung rep. That did.not fix the 5G connectivity issue. Do you know why it reverse back to 4G LTE instead of staying on 5G?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 10 November 2020, 11:41

5G is more or less only used currently when the demand is there on your data connection.  If you aren’t downloading or streaming something that requires the extra bandwidth, your device will revert back to 4G LTE.  In some cases, you can make calls over 5G but I have yet to have a call placed over 5G.  

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

5G is more or less only used currently when the demand is there on your data connection.  If you aren’t downloading or streaming something that requires the extra bandwidth, your device will revert back to 4G LTE.  In some cases, you can make calls over 5G but I have yet to have a call placed over 5G.  

Badge

Thanks for reply. That's exactly what I was wondering. So I started streaming love cricket match video on phone. Even with full coverage, I was not getting 5G NSA, and the video was buffering all the time. It was frustrating experience. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Even though my One Plus 8 5G shows NR for Voice and Data  in diagnostics mode when I select 5G only… I cannot make voice calls (yet) over 5G SA.  

Where I am , 5G is a mixed bag of results…

‘Near’ the cell site:

• LTE is typically quite good (3x CA ~+100Mbps)
  • 5G SA is typically good on n71 ~+100 Mbps
  • 5G on NSA is typically better ~300Mbps

What happens often is inconsistency delivering either 5G SA only or LTE only.

When being away from a 5G site, things get interesting…

I can be +1 mile from local 5G site, and get ~20Mbps on 5G SA / NSA, or ~120Mbps on LTE, most often, I end up on 5G SA/NSA.

Badge

Thank you for sharing your speed results. I am not at all impressed by T-mobile 5G NSA. I experienced similar speeds when I am  couple of miles away from tower, 5G and LTE speeds are relatively similar. 

Update- I sent samsung FE back to samsung store to check for network connectivity. It would not connect to 5G instantly. FE behaves so differently than my OP 8. OP8 instantly connects to 5G at my town, also during the travel. 

I hope samsung will fix my FE phone. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just as a note… OP 8 needs its system updates to work at is best - you won’t get LTE carrier aggregation with 5G on NSA unless you have the latest updates.

Similarly… OP 8 also supports 5G SA.  I can’t say for the Samsung FE 20.  It took about a dozen calls between T-Mobile and LG to find out that their LG Velvet - which ‘demonstated’ at 1Gbps using n41/n71 5G SA… doesn’t support ANY 5G SA for T-Mobile, and I had to return the device for a OP 8.  Northern MI sites in many counties are 5G SA only (eg. Charlevoix) as they don’t have B2/B4 LTE.  LG Velvet there never found 5G.  Cross the county into Emmet County, and voila … 5G appears as there is B4 LTE.  Cellmapper even identifies these areas as type ‘SA’ vs. ‘NR’.

Northern MI sites in many counties are 5G SA only (eg. Charlevoix) as they don’t have B2/B4 LTE.  LG Velvet there never found 5G.  Cross the county into Emmet County, and voila … 5G appears as there is B4 LTE.  Cellmapper even identifies these areas as type ‘SA’ vs. ‘NR’.

I’ve been fighting with t-mobile in Newaygo County too… I can’t seem to figure out the point of t-mobile’s 5g. I have a 20FE 5g and my wife has a Oneplus Nord n10 5g and both experience the issue of picking up 5g, attempting to use it, failing, and then going back to LTE. At first I thought it was general network issues around Newaygo County, but I think it might be 5g specific. I’ve just started to turn 5g off completely to see how my experience is - 2 hours in, it already seems better. Less negotiating maybe?