Question

Service in Sioux City, IA

• 23 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi. We moved from Los Angeles, CA to Sioux City, Iowa and service has been terrible! Especially in Sergeant Bluff, IA. It’s a complete dead zone. I live right on the border of the two cities. How can we see about getting a tower over here? I know Sprint was serviced over here but people say they had bad service too. Please Help!!!

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Looking at CellMapper.net, it seems like you’ve summed up the situation pretty well. Sioux City is not what I’d call “T-Mobile Country”. If you cross over into Nebraska, you can roam on Viaero.

You didn’t mention what phones you have and if they are paid off or you’re on an EIP and, if so, which EIP. You may have options.

Badge

That’s what I was afraid of. My family has iPhone we are still paying on three (out of 4) with monthly installments to our bill. How can I (if possible) request a tower? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

A tower? You can call 611 and tell them you’d like to file a coverage complaint ticket. But don’t expect a team of engineers to show up in a helicopter. I’ve requested towers for 20 years and have yet to see one of my requests fulfilled.

You can request a CellSpot, which attaches to your broadband Internet router and transmits a short-range LTE signal in your house. I’ve never quite understood the advantage of doing this as you can also use WiFi for the same purpose. It does allow you to start a conversation in your house and continue it in the car. Using WiFI Calling would drop the call.

You might be able to use T-Mobile’s Lifetime Coverage Guarantee. I’m not sure if it actually applies to your situation or not but you could try. Under this guarantee if you don’t like T-Mobile’s coverage, you can get them to unlock your phones, you port your lines to another, compatible carrier (e.g. AT&T, Viaero, Cricket, etc) and you continue to make just the EIP payments to T-Mobile. The catch in using this is that if you got a phone promo where they give you monthly bill credits on your EIP, you lose the monthly credits and have to pay the full amount.

Anyway, this is one reason I’m not a fan of buying locked devices on an EIP. Change of circumstances and you’re as locked in as if you’d signed a 2-year service contract.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

There’s a catch to the Lifetime Coverage Guarantee , you have to have Jump On Demand on the lines.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/lifetime-coverage-guarantee

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

There’s a catch to the Lifetime Coverage Guarantee , you have to have Jump On Demand on the lines.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/lifetime-coverage-guarantee

That’s true but I’d try to press them on it, just the same. I mean, can it hurt to try?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I thought that Tmobile discontinued the Lifetime Coverage Guarentee but saw that you have to pay for it now. The worst Tmobile can do is say no so it can't hurt to ask.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If it’s just around the house that’s the problem, I had a situation with a vacation house that sat in its own personal dead spot. I stuck a weatherproof WiFi access point on the TV mast and had WiFi service covering the whole area. Coverage problem solved.