Question

Service issue

• 10 August 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge

Hey, there. We're new customers from AT&T. Last week my girlfriend upgraded to an unlocked s20 from her s9. At her house, her phone will tell her she has 3-4 bars of signal, non lte, but she can't make calls or receive picture messages. What would be the cause of this? 

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Have you set the APN?  You can find the T-Mobole BYOD APN Settings for Android below.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#:~:text=%20Android%20APN%20settings%20%201%20Open%20the,Press%20the%20Menukey.%205%20Touch%20Save.%20More%20

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

By “non lte” do you mean 2G or 3G (E, H)? In some places T-Mobile has a very thin layer of 2G primarily for M2M customers (e.g. alarm systems) but it’s sometimes inadequate for phone usage. It would surprise me if your phone was connecting to either 2G or 3G unless it was set to that mode.

Did you reset the network settings on the S20?

Badge

I tried the apn settings, no change. Also, the phone does not show an E or an H, just bars. 2-3 bars only

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You said it’s an unlocked phone but what carrier or was it an International version.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Interesting, generally if you have data capabilities there will be some indication next to the bars (e.g. “LTE”, “H”, “G”, “E”)

Badge

We bought them right from the Samsung website as unlocked phones. Went out of the city today and had it happen again. Phone clearly has service, but for whatever reason won't connect. Had 2 unlocked s20s, an unlocked s9, an AT&T s10 plus that tmobile unlocked for us, and an AT&T s9 that they unlocked as well. All same exact thing happening. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
  1. Match up the APN settings as syaoran said on the link he gave you and make sure Tmobile is the carrier selected (not AT&T).
  2. Check the coverage map to make sure Tmobile has service in that area.
  3. Turn off wifi.
  4. Restart the phone to re-associate with the towers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

also mind posting the model number of the phone? just in case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The areas of service.  Are they T-Mobile areas or are they domestic roaming areas?  Domestic roaming is basically now limited to T-Mobile devices only.  They try to pawn it off as, a compatibility issue, which is a load of b/s.  They use the devices IMEI to determine which carrier it was purchased from and based on that, allow it or deny it connectivity.  The issue I had with US Cellular roaming that went to the FCC is still something I was told was going to be how things are going to be going forward.