Question

Severe packet loss on 5G and speeds so slow it's unusable everywhere

• 20 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have had the OnePlus 8 Pro for 4 months. 5G has never functioned well any place I have been. As an example at my home in Seattle, I get 60-110 Mbps on LTE with 5G disabled. If I turn on 5G, I get 3 Mbps and 99.7% packet loss. Phone calls drop within 20 seconds, data won’t load, etc. This continues as I have traveled around the state. I keep turning 5G back on, see a full signal often, but data simply crawls. Speedtests confirm that the speeds are always under 5 Mbps or the speed tests simply fail to complete. Disabling 5G and reverting to LTE brings the fast and functional speeds back. 

What the heck is wrong in my situation?

P.S. I even tried 5G on the top of a parking garage in downtown Seattle yesterday where 5G should excel, but it was unusable until I switched back to LTE. The other aspect of this situation that irks me is that the phone is not switching back to LTE when it finds that 5G is not working. It should be smarter than this.

9 replies

I agree. I'm in Olympia and I have five bars of 5G and it is as slow as it gets. This is absolutely unacceptable.

I'm experiencing the same thing.  I literally have to turn 5g off and use LTE to load anything on the web

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

5G on some devices (the ones that I’ve used - LG Velvet / One Plus 8 5G) , have hit/miss performance.

5G NSA can get great performance where 5G n71 is local, and even more so where 5G n41 is deployed.

4G LTE works well (in my area at least).  The problem IMHO is the areas where 5G n71 is accessible ‘and’ a closer 4G LTE site is being used… service can be less than optimal, and is effectively the equivalent of 5G SA from a far away site.

Eg.  +200Mbps on 4G LTE, or ~5Mbps on 5G

Same. It has never improved since I switched to a 5G device. Tmobile data coverage and reliability is a joke. I left Sprint for these same reasons and now otmobile is just as bad as sprint was.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Same. It has never improved since I switched to a 5G device. Tmobile data coverage and reliability is a joke. I left Sprint for these same reasons and now otmobile is just as bad as sprint was.

theyre upgrading towers daily across the nation however its still going to be a slow go at it..especially with the Rona slowing things down and putting them further behind..keep in mind that once the merger happened that was a few million people getting dumped onto the network..which is why theyre working to get everything hopefully upgraded to handle the additions.

personally my areas 5G is hit and miss..so i jumped back to 4G only until they get 5G a bit more robust.

Well, I have been having the same problem since I got T-Mobile G5 IPhone 12. 
G5 by most part is totally useless. Call technical support and here is where my biggest problem is. 
After calling countless time, they know they have a problem but they don’t accept it and lie to their customers. 
They make you reset the phone network and try this and that and nothing fix it. 
when they see you are angry, they just tell you that they will give you credit of $10. 

Are you kidding me? I’m paying for a service I don’t receive. 

I will be creating a community of angry people at T-Mobile in Reddit and hopefully start they start to put their act together. 

Well, I have been having the same problem since I got T-Mobile G5 IPhone 12. 
G5 by most part is totally useless. Call technical support and here is where my biggest problem is. 
After calling countless time, they know they have a problem but they don’t accept it and lie to their customers. 
They make you reset the phone network and try this and that and nothing fix it. 
when they see you are angry, they just tell you that they will give you credit of $10. 

Are you kidding me? I’m paying for a service I don’t receive. 

Reminding me of my problem when I was trying to use the 5G services myself.

My problem?  I was still on the ONE Plus plan.   The fix?  Switch to Magenta Max plan.

Apparently 5G Standalone failed to deliver data, while 5G NSA was getting 4G at best and often at lower speeds too.  The problem was apparently the plan, where no data was coming over 5G towers in-spite of what the phone showed and was only pulling from the lesser signals for data ranging from 4G LTE, 3G Speeds, and in the case of connecting to a 5G SA tower which gave no Data at all.  I had to switch to Magenta Max plan to actually start getting data over the 5G signals.

Worse, apparently no one at the physical stores could figure this out.  I even brought it up initially mentioning my plan, but they all said it should work.  It took a number of phone calls on tech support trying to figure this out, especially as where I drive was in multiple 5G SA towers which would connect … and my phone would be dead on data.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I've found that at least in my area, with a Samsung, I can disable  n71 and keep n41.  Note:  5g SA on n71 can be quite slow  due to lack of capacity (10 or 15MHz).  Problems that I've hit have been using 5g SA only (10 or 15MHz) vs. NSA (10 or 15NHz + LTE).  Of course, disable  n71, and use n41 makes a huge difference outdoors.  With 100Mhz + LTE.  I can't do this on OP8, but I can on the freebie  A32

I'm in Arlington and it's the same here too. On a oneplus 8t