slow speed

• 16 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

9 mbs really T mobile? I went from 800+mbs to this?

5 replies

I would be happy (or happier) to get that. Consistent 2-4 down with .1 to .4 up.  fastest today while talking to tech support is 2.94 down and 0.33 up. While connected to “5G UC” “It might be congestion” is their response. Then add compacity. It is just getting worse and worse here in Colorado Springs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

9 mbs really T mobile? I went from 800+mbs to this?

with your phone? home net?

Hi. In my situation, the phone dropped dramatically in the past year, and especially in the past 5-6 months.I used to get 20 to 100 pretty consistently last year. 

Yesterday i ran some tests while driving from church back home. At one point, my phone got 358.9 down and 74.2 up!! Of course, I could see the tower right in front of me. The speed continued to drop as I got closer to home, which was about 1.5 miles away. By the time i got to my driveway, I was back down to 2.3 up and .5 down. I tried the home internet but took it back as the unlimited plan is not available at my address, only the lite plan. The speed was slightly than my phone, even when in the same room, but still not very fast. I submitted a ticket to Tmobile but they said speed would vary because of congestion. If that is the case, they need to increase capacity. Been with tem close to ten years and would like this to be fixed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

sadly in your scenario they would need more than capacity. more than likely they would need a tower either closer to your home or a redirect of one of the antennas to point more your way..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi. In my situation, the phone dropped dramatically in the past year, and especially in the past 5-6 months.I used to get 20 to 100 pretty consistently last year. 

Yesterday i ran some tests while driving from church back home. At one point, my phone got 358.9 down and 74.2 up!! Of course, I could see the tower right in front of me. The speed continued to drop as I got closer to home, which was about 1.5 miles away. By the time i got to my driveway, I was back down to 2.3 up and .5 down. I tried the home internet but took it back as the unlimited plan is not available at my address, only the lite plan. The speed was slightly than my phone, even when in the same room, but still not very fast. I submitted a ticket to Tmobile but they said speed would vary because of congestion. If that is the case, they need to increase capacity. Been with tem close to ten years and would like this to be fixed. 

“which was about 1.5 miles away”

1.  What device are you using  (Android and the Home Internet are easier to debug)
  2. Can you physically ‘see’ the tower + panels from your location

Capacity and ‘cell breathing’ may be more of an issue.  Ie.  If I ‘force’ 5G n41, I can go from 3bars and ~500Mbps outdoors to ‘No Service’ and often 1-2 bars 200Mbps indoors due to items between my house, and the tower.   I’m at ~1200’ from the tower.   Prior to this tower being built, it was +1 mile in 2 different directions that ‘might’ give me 5G UC outdoors (kind of what you’re seeing).  If your devices are on n71, then the 1.5Mbps might be .. normal.

You can validate this with the Home Internet device metrics.