So still haveing issues with coverage

Show first post

156 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

well worse comes to worse i drop t-mobile for one of its competitors. I rather not though but if i did i would probably switch to Verizon like you did. Sprint is also pretty good here in my area but they are like a glorified pre-pay carrier with all the fine print. Cricket is a decent choice to though. Unlimitted data off AT&T who i know is excellent would be pretty sick.

I'll just wait and see though because i really really love my t-mobile plan just need good service haha

Even though I doubt anything will ever change, hopefully they will resolve the issue of your local tower. However there are still many other areas will you will get low performance. I've been on Verizon for nearly a month and my service in my home area was well as Trenton, NJ has been amazing. I always get amazing speeds everywhere. There were only a couple locations where I had a 3G instead of an LTE signal but service was still usable even though the speed was a bit slow, but this would happen much more often with T-Mobile during my travels. I know no carrier is perfect everywhere, but with Verizon, I am much less likely to encounter a weak area. And the 2 times I was in a weak spot, it was indoors or underground.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

hey yall its been quite some time since i have posted on here i have been talking to a very awesome employee in the hierarchy of tech support via email. He has been getting me lots of helpful information which is great. However interms of my speed woahs its not looking to great i don't know the whole scoop quite yet but will make a full comment when i do explaining everything i learned. Thanks for your patience guys and everyone who has helped and been along for the journey.

Also please do not mark answered since issue is not resolved yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

dang not bad at all. On the bright side i have managed to get the case excalatend and am supposed to receive a email on Wednesday with the results.

Well I have been a happy Verizon customer with my new Pixel XL since last Thursday. This is the speed I now get at my apartment in Bensalem, PA even with a semi-weak signal! I usually pick up Band 13 (700MHz) but it tends to jump between Band 2 (1900) and Band 4 (1700/2100). Can't check for carrier aggregation like I could on my Note 5. Traveling around, I have yet to have a time where my data wasn't very usable even inside buildings that gave me a weak signal. On a full signal, I tested nearly 100MBit/sec. I never knew how bad I had it! See my screenshot of my new speed at home. (That little 4 notification on the top corner is from LTE Discovery app telling me what band I am on)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just as a heads up for everyone that is continuing to help me (which i thank you) i have been recording infor for you all to view using sensory,Root metrics,Speedtest, and other crowd sociable applications to help paint a more accurate picture for you guys and myself.

I haven't given up on things getting better and if there is something specific you would recommend let me know. I honestly wish t-mobile had a specific app to report coverage troubles rather then taking this route of things and filing tickets. Which i do have a ticket to be checked on if possible #13928458 just want to know what the engineers see if you could relay me that info its appreciated.

I also have some important screenshots that i will upload when i get home. They will show cell ids as well as what potential towers are in the area to connect to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Well as mentioned prior its not so much a signal strength issue since i am so close to the tower. Its definitely the backhaul. Also i have had good experiences in the past where the site had only band 2 but it was usually 10x10.

Most of T-Mobile's rural sites, like yours, are 2G sites refarmed to LTE on Band 2 1900MHz with a 5MHz wide channel. Most of my experience with Band 2 only towers are not very good. The backhauls are usually not upgraded for LTE speeds, and 5MHz wide channels cannot yield high data speeds especially if multiple people are connected.

I've dealt with Band 2 LTE in a few areas over the last couple years. Estes Park, CO, Bangor, ME, and the Poconos region in PA. Outside it generally performs OK assuming the backhaul isn't crap. As soon as you step indoors in most locations, you lose the signal completely or at least have a signal so low that it is unusable.

PCS 1900 bands have HORRIBLE signal propogation and are only really any good for outdoor use.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks were you able to find out what kind of backhaul on your end is being run to the tower in Elwood and if so is there anyway to make a bigger incentive to improve it. I was super happy to see it get lit up to LTE but speeds are just like the 2g days which sucks and it really does need addressed before focusing on other projects. Especially since once summer comes back around it will be worse because a bunch of people from Michigan and other states will come to the race track nearby and make congestion even worse.

Makes zero difference. The vast majority of sites out there are owned by the tower companies and the carriers just rent space. In fact, most everyone has sold off the towers to the tower companies in the past. Much easier to just rent space.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

hey tidbits i figure you might know this but i was wondering if it makes a difference if T-mobile out right owns a tower or if the lease it from a company such as Crown Communications. I have been doing a lot of digging again to be sure about which towers are T-mobile at least to the best of my abilities and it would seem that the majority of towers in the area are leased and not outright owned. The only person that seems to still have out right ownership is AT&T and even then it seems T-mobile shares those sites with them.

I've been complaining about my crappy coverage in the 98520 zip code for months. Worked fine until 2016 started. Then into the toilet. All the tmobile people want to do is send me some dumb signal booster, or tell me to go on WIFI, but that doesn't work. It's a MOBILE phone... it use to work in this town just fine...now I can't carry on a conversation, and nobody really cares. I can't take much more of this. I am holding off on upgrading phones until this gets resolved, which at this pace will be never.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yea i don't know why it hasn't happened i was doing some extra digging and T-mobile is the only one to not have fiber connected to their tower. So yea..... i know that everything you need is in place so i'm not sure what the hold up is. I haven't seen any permits filed to add back haul which is interesting to me.

Well the 4 T1s would certainly do it...

We own more PCS than that in the area so that backhaul, ugh...yeah...

Hopefully there'll be a way to get more than that to the site.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I believe t-mobile is the only person with the equipment on that specific tower. The local internet provider in the area is Armstrong Cable and they have fiber deployed through the maturity of Ellwood and Koppel markets. I'm fairly confident that if there was a limiting factor it has more to do with backhaul rather then spectrum. I believe that tower only has 4 t1 lines running to it while the AT&T one has true fiber all the way through. I'm not sure what sprint has but i know there location is like right beside my Aunt's house. As for Verizon i don't think they have a tower in Ellwood. Although i know that they have two within the area that Ellwood does rent to also install emergency equipment on

Anywho the tower for T-mobile is on jockey road so it is in a pretty good location in terms of what it can see. It is also owned by Crown Communications i believe. The only other thing on the tower  is local emergency equipment. It has 5x5 block of band 2, 5x5 Band 12 and a block of 2g operating on it. Koppel has a rough population of 700 and Ellwood has less then 8,000. So its definelty something go one here that is not right.

Going from 20 to 50 is likely pretty easy since it's often just turning up the speed of the backhaul like "hey <fiber provider> can we move to the biggie size plan from the large speed plan?" where as if you're at lower speeds you're probably talking about sites that might be limited for capacity due to availability of speed or spectrum (maybe the telco/cable provider only has a gig line in for the whole area so can only sell us a 50mbit plan...just making this up for example).

I don't remember for that particular site in Elwood if there's other providers on it or if they're on others, do you happen to know?

When it comes to site congestion, the engineers are normally painfully aware of the issue. Every sector on every site in every market is tracked. Sometimes the answer is to ask for more speed from the fiber provider, sometimes it's splitting a cell sector, maybe building a new site or even re-tuning multiple sites (which could go back to one of the other answers). The folks in the market are likely working crazy hours right now on getting B12 up in metro area where it has it's greatest bangforbuck ratio. I'm hoping they can get that site fixed up soon though.

@jcap334do you happen to know the cell ID of the problematic site near you? I have a fair number of T-Mobile friends spread out over the greater Philly area and haven't had any hit me up with performance questions so I'm curious about that particular site.

edit: just back from vacation and scrolled up more finding the site info.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

i know it will get better i watched it happen before my eyes and continue to see it happen in other locations. I just wish that they would take a step back and realize that certain towers that already perform spectacularly don't necessarily need more improvements. For example in Monaca speeds say a year ago were constantly 20-30mb down now they are 50 mb down and at times 75. While that looks amazing on paper it doesn't make the same kind of difference as going from say 1mb to 10mb.

I know its a time thing its just feels like a lot of time has passed with very little return on investment for said time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I hope they get it going and sometime soon it gets better. Here in hawaii i am lucky enough to be in an area where there are 2 towers near me at all times unless i am out in the field. The company i work for is Verizon and AT&T on field work. Sprint is the worst in most places. T-Mobile has gotten a lot better and past Sprint but needs more work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

that sucks so hard i wish when they were installing LTE originally they would have just did it right. This tower has never been fast it just was never this bad ether. On a side not i am seeing speeds of .2 rather then the .01 that i always saw. It appears here and there but less frequently. The fastest speed i saw was 1 mb but its not consistent and very rare.

I wonder if the maintenance was just to restore LTE or if they will be doing other things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Still need approval from the governing bodies, and potentially environmental testing.  Here in Hawaii even if it's a minor change in signal requires this testing which at times I understand is to protect the land, but some are just "lack of a better word that'll bypass filter." 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I wonder what the hold up is for them here. I know my local board is fine with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It's not that easy. Just to do even backhaul improvements still needs approval from governing bodies and even the neighborhood board. For example I will use Sprint since it was at our last board meeting. They wanted to do more work on their tower they put up which ironically they couldn't put where they wanted from the exact same board. They have been denied for the 6th straight month. Keep in mind most of these people here are Verizon customers ironically.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

i could agree to that however i don't think t-mobile wants this for their network. Its usually more complicated. However i really hope the day comes where everyone including sprint offers service exactly like Verizon so competition once again can heat up and all networks will benefit as a more even distribution of people should occur.

I'm sure it's not so much a bandwidth issue as it's individual towers that they do not maintain as well as others. I can run a speedtest at my home and get the horrible result I posted above. I can drive less than a mile away, and test over 50MBit/sec. This applies to any given location. The inconsistency of T-Mobile is why I am leaving. I rather get 4 - 12MBit everywhere rather than 6 here, 50 there, 0.3 here, 80 there , etc.