So still haveing issues with coverage

Show first post

156 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

So i called in today to get and update in my area the person i spoke to and was very kind and had confirmed that band 12 has been put in place. He also informed me that when that storm happened they had redeposited the antennas away from me and could be the reason for the degraded service. The engineer is supposed to re position the antenna around so hopefully this is the simple fix. I'll keep everyone posted.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just got off the phone with T-mobile spoke to a kind rep named breanna. I told her about the ticket and got the results and the consensus was the obvious the tower is congested. I was told two other towers are still do for band 12 but one of them did indeed get it. Needless to say it was no help for my congestion woes. I'm happy to see improvements being made in my area don't get me wrong but i do wish you guys would focus on the core issue here. Coverage is decent enough in fact its excellent in terms of strength where i need it. What it is not however is fast .01 is unacceptable when your only servicing a area of max 10,000 people and i know for a fact not everyone of them is useing the T-mobile tower.If AT&T can provide speeds that are litterly faster then most peoples home internet (50mb down) or at the very least a consistent 5mb or better why can T-mobile not seem to figure it out. Its only gunna get worse once summer comes around sadly 😥.

I seriously love you guys as a company i truly do with all my heart your doing all the right things when it comes to PR but if your service can not even match Sprint then what is the point of being a customer. The only huge things still left that keep me around is your amazing roaming agreements when it comes to travel and the fact that you guys do have extraordinary service at my college and in the city. However i spend atleast half the year in the ellwood area and for work stuff to so that is when your service needs to work the best and its at its worst.

Please don't think i'm frustrated at you amazing staff that work the forums since i know its not your fault i'm just highly disappointed with this whole ordeal since you have so much potential for this market you have no idea. I mean you have 3 really well positioned towers and two of them have access to Fiber that i'm positive of. Like i said you got the location and resources you just gotta get it together.

This forum won't have anything posted for a while at the very least a month since i will be giving things time and i don't think there is anything left i can do. Of course i still plan to help others if i can it just seems cruddy that this is the way it is since like i said T-mobile really is a amazeing company that i want to thrive and be successful you guys are just missing the core issue here.

Thank you everyone again for taking the time to help and walk this journey with me and again thank you awesome support team.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just want to thank you as well specifically i see you all the time on forums

Userlevel 5

Hey Dragon,

I am super bummed that we were not able to relieve you of your congestion problems I know that you have put in a tremendous effort for this all while being super helpful to others here in the support community! We really appreciate your presence here as well as your kind words. I totally understand where you are coming from and while we would be incredibly sad to lose you, I know that you need to have reliable service in an area that you are spending a majority of your time. I hope that these B12 upgrades make it to your area sooner rather than later so that you can get the service that you deserve!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks @tmo_chris‌ i hope so to because i truly want to stay with team magenta. I will definitely give it like 2-3 months before i make any rash decisions ofcoures especially since T-mobile isn't the only ones to be doing some major overhaul to their network. I just pray things work out and again thank you i'm sure you will still see me on the other forums of course.

I just got back from a long road trip vacation around the New England area. In Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, T-Mobile is a complete embarrassment. Having even a signal is hit or miss, and more often than not I am stuck roaming on AT&T or US Cellular which is limited to 50MB and throttled to roughly 64kbps. In the Boston, MA area, T-Mobile was amazing and not even slow at all. I use Google Maps for navigation with Android Auto on my car so I can always glance and see my signal. Most of the time up north it was E or H roaming and rarely LTE. A few times I had to hunt down for Wifi or use my work provided AT&T phone and it's hotspot. Dragon, that tower by you will NEVER be fixed. I will be switching to Verizon very soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

i hope you are wrong i really and i mean really like T-mobile plans. Also up until the point of congestion i was pretty happy because the service worked where i cared about most. However i do believe Verizon will work out well since it would seem you do more in state travel then i do. T-mobile worked well for me because they had coverage where i needed it and i tend to hover around those areas with not much variation. However i find myself in the mean time useing my AT&T phone more and being very frugal with data which really sucks. I really much rather see T-mobile thrive and i believe they will fix it since i have went through all the proper channels and has to be on someones radar.

Also let me know how Verizon is price wise like what you end up haveing to pay i know the service will obviously be good but ill be curious to see how much you pay and how they treat you.

There are those that say they now get as good a deal from VZW as from TMO after you take into account some of VZW's generous employer/affinity discounts. Also, VZW now has plans that throttle when you max your data, rather than charging overages. John Legere said he was out to change the industry and it looks like he's succeeded. 

John Legere without a doubt has completely changed the industry and I commend him for that. Verizon has lowered prices and is offering bigger data sizes to fit my needs as well as getting rid of overages. As much as I was rooting for T-Mobile near the beginning, I just cannot deal with not having a usable service outside of metro areas.

Trust me, I DID NOT want to have to switch to Verizon, but since T-Mobile has not improved at the rate I as hoping they would by nearly 2017, I have to move on to a more reliable service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Your right i saw that they are adding 2gb of data per line that you add and i see that they have XLTE here as well. It looks pretty sick plus the unlimited data passes are nice even if its not truly unlimited data. If i'm lucky i will see Verizon offer true unlimited data again and that will probably be the thing that makes me switch. I still want t-mobile to do well ofcourse because there competition has made it better for all consumers which is wonderful.

Just don't fall for VZW's game of renaming everything to make it their exclusive. XLTE is nothing special.  T-Mobile has been using advanced LTE features longer than VZW, they just didn't think it necessary to give it a trademarked name.  The unlimited data passes are only good for a day. I don't think VZW could handle unlimited data. They've been doing everything possible to get rid of their legacy UDP customers. My only comments about VZW were that they now have plans that don't charge overages, but rather throttle you data instead, and some people say they can get discounted VZW plans which they consider to be competitive with non-discounted T-Mobile plans.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yeah i spoke with Verizon and could get a discount through my mom's job if i decided to so i could get their 24gb+2gb plan for what i'm paying now which is practically having unlimited data for all intents and purposes since in general i only use like 20gb or so of data per month. Also i realize this the only difference is that Verzion has a lot more spectrum to make use of and as such the benefits are more obvious when they implement said tech. As mentioned earlier i plan to wait a while longer i give T-mobile till the beginning of summer/mid spring. The reason i pick that time is because thats when all the people will start comeing to the race track again and service will truly be unusable if they don't get their act together. I just pray it doesn't come to that because again as i will constently say i like t-mobile alot as a company and the benefits that they provide i just hate that they are letting their service degrade like the olden days ( think Verizon 2011 or AT&T when the iPhone came out). I know this is just growing pains again but i never remember any carrier getting to state that the coverage is in currently.

VZW does not actually have "a lot more spectrum" than T-Mobile in many areas. What they do have is a nationwide 700 MHz 10x10 block for LTE (band 13), plus a lot of 850 MHz cellular in most areas. This allows them to provide good coverage with many fewer towers than T-Mobile has (until fairly recently) been able to get away with. Orlando, FL is one area where T-Mobile has more spectrum than VZW, (I think).

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

They are sitting on a lot of frequencies though aren't they?

Which "they'?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Verizon

AFAIK, they are only "sitting on" some AWS-3 licenses. Everyone is sitting on those licenses because the handsets to use that band are just now beginning to become available. VZW actually has a pretty good reputation for putting their licensed spectrum to use and not just sitting on it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

hmm intresting i don't know alls i know is this in the real world T-mobile does phenomnial to this day in the city however AT&T and Verizon consistently destroy T-mobile in almost everything from call quality to data speeds. Maybe its because people on T-mobile are like me and use there phone a lot or something but i don't know. When i'm on school the LTE is great which is nice but so is everyone else except sprint. Also i know with AT&T my phone CA to 2 different bands in this area so speeds are pretty good most the time. I think what would help T-mobile more then anything for my little town of koppel is if they could deploy band 4 with 2 instead of haveing band 12.

Tmobile actually is rated very well for their data

https://opensignal.com/reports/2016/08/usa/state-of-the-mobile-network/

They just don't have as good of coverage in rural areas.

What T-Mobile is trying to do is to catch up with companies who have a 20-year head start plus the built-in advantage of wireline incumbency. They're peddling as fast as they can but still have a long way to go. Around Koppel, PA they have deployed bands 2, 4 & 12 but not all in an even, consistent way. Band-12 serves one purpose, bands 2 & 4 serve a different purpose. In PA, if you are getting only band 12 it's because there's no other signal that will reach you and you're in a T-Mobile "fringe" area.  That alone is something to consider.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

In Koppel you generally connect to band 2 unless you go down past 3rd ave where you can force your phone to pick up band 4 from a little ways away. The band 2 signal is the one that connects to the tower in Elwood and is always congested and its also the one that my phone connects to unless i specify otherwise since the other connection is not strong enough to be stable. The band 4 actually pulls about 8mb down if you can get it to connect. I understand the point of band 12 and i understand that T-mobile got into the game late but it doesn't excuse how poorly they let a singular tower perform. I also don't thing band 12 will make as much of a diffrence as i was told it will make since its not a matter of coverage but how said coverage performs. Ill wait and see and maybe eat my own words but i don't know. Also I don't think i am in a fringe area i get 4-5 bars of service pretty reliably. Ill double check with band 12 when i get home today or when i head to chippewa. I know that the girl i spoke to said it had been deployed on one of the towers.

Just curious but how can you tell if a area has band 12 useing t-mobile actual coverage map.

On T-Mobile's coverage map, you start off telling it you have a non-band-12 phone (e.g. iPhone 6), then zoom in until you get different levels of service. It has a notice on the upper left asking if you'd like to see the coverage you'd get with a newer device. You click that link and get a pop-up with side-by-side comparisons of how a band-12 phone would work vs a non-band-12 phone. If there's a significant difference, then the are has band-12. This works in rural areas that aren't fully blanketed with coverage. It won't work in NYC or L.A.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

So i took a really close look doing as you mentioned and i saw that my area does indeed have band 12 already live which i will try and force my device to connect to when i come home i was currious about something though. Should my device be able to CA bands 2 and 12 together (nexus 6p) or does it lack said functionality.

Quote: "Just don't fall for VZW's game of renaming everything to make it their exclusive. XLTE is nothing special.  T-Mobile has been using advanced LTE features longer than VZW, they just didn't think it necessary to give it a trademarked name."

T-Mobile is just as guilty of the same scheme, only in reverse. Verizon built their LTE network using 700MHz what T-Mobile calls "Extended Range LTE" and then later added Band 4 to increase capacity.

Anyway, I just did some tests which are repeatable with the same results every time unless it's 3AM. One of them is actually LTE Advanced with, although a very usable speed, isn't very impressive for LTE Advanced. Notice the first tower ID 259 has decent performance, and ID 388 is dog slow. This is how it's been for OVER A YEAR. Only recently has ID 259 been "fitted" with LTE Advanced. ID 388 doesn't do 3-Bands. Just shows how sloppy T-Mobile rolls out their network. I was able to "force" these different tower IDs by walking to different sides of my apartment here in Bensalem, PA.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

So just wanted to mention a update i did some heavy testing on monday and was able to run speed tests on bands 2,4, and 12. The results where pretty interesting. So when i was connected to the ellwood tower it made no difference if the test was on band 2 or band 12 both beared un usable results. If i forced the device to connect to band 4 speeds seemed to always be good however in regards to Elwood that is not to feasible and regards to Koppel this only works for a small portion of the town.

I should also mention that when i am connected to band 12 in Chippewa speeds are decent enough about 2mb down which makes me pleased to see. all and all it seems like band 12 is lighting up fairly quickly and that is good i suppose although i'm more excited about the fact that they are also doing work on some old 2g towers and converting to LTE. At least thats what the rep i spoke to named Donald told me which should have a much greater impact to my data woes then the band 12 so everyone keep your fingers crossed there may still be hope.