So still haveing issues with coverage

Show first post

156 replies

However there is no hope and you should not ever expect your speed issues to be resolved. Like I said, I've been complaining to T-Mobile for well over a year about speed issues and in so many words I've been told by multiple people that there is "No plans to upgrade that tower"

Your results make perfect sense. T-Mobile's bands 2 and 12 are only 5MHz wide. I think in some places their band 2 is 10MHz. Band 4 in most large markets is 20MHz wide, 15MHz in others.

This is why you will generally see higher speeds on Band 4. HOWEVER, bandwidth doesn't always mean speed of the tower's backhaul is crap.

I have not been very impressed with T-Mobile's Band 12 at all. It usually does not give any usable speeds and when it works while indoors in any building, it's usually only good for making VoLTE phone calls.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yea i was told that they are improving capacity so hopefully that means they are focusing on back haul. I know the tower in Ellwood which is the congested one doesn't have anything else going on for it so my only hope is that when they improve the other towers in the area it will relieve some of the traffic away from the ellwood tower.

I wouldn't have high hopes. I just made comparative screenshots for Speeds found in your area mentioned with T-Mobile vs Verizon from Rootmetrics. You'll like this:

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

i'm aware of how it currently it is hopefully this gets addressed from what was mentioned above. Even AT&T does well if you check root metrics and cell mapper.

Well if you do decide to jump ship, you might as well pick Verizon over AT&T. They are essentially the exact same price with Verizon having superior coverage/speed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yea its probably what i would do if i decide to switch since my 2nd phone is already on a AT&T line its my non business phone that only a select few people know about in terms of its phone number.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just wanted to take the time to show you hardcore evidence about the diffrences in service based off a 3rd party site that crowd sources info. All pics can be found at the link below.

RootMetrics Coverage Map

This picture shows what i usually get now a days.

this is usable speed for most of my needs and what i was ok with getting

this is what i can get when i'm not on the stupid Elwood tower which needs addressed more then any other tower in the area.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

this is what sprint can provide in ellwood

verizon provides this

finnally AT&T the reason i show these is because i really want to drive the point home that the competition treats this market serious and goes above and beyond what most people need so please for the love of god focus on the Elwood sites back haul make plans to improve it because the solution of upgrading towers that don't really need it makes no sense to me.

Yes i understand that it will relieve some traffic but it doesn't fix the core issue here. I'm sorry for being so loud about this but i really want to make sure the message is so crystal clear so something happens.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

also i will add that i was happy to see better coverage along the high way. ill give credit where credit is do regarding that but i would much rather and be much happier if the existing coverage worked at minimal 1mb per sec thats all i ask. Just so i could atleast load facebook and snap chat and do a little gps with pokemon go if i wanted. maybe even stream music.

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER go to Sprint. If you think things are bad on T-Mobile, they'll be even worse on Sprint.

I'm still waiting for my Pixel XL to arrive from Verizon. Slight shipment delay lol

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

yea sprint is pretty bad as a company with how they limit so much stuff in their plans but they actually have far better speeds then t-mobile in the Elwood and Koppel locations and they have better overall coverage for Be*ver falls. T-mobile has much better speed and coverage when i'm at my college campus though but sprint speeds are usable.

I posted the above just to make the point clear that competition is stiff and that if they want to gain and retain customers they should prioritize adding back haul to areas where they have fine coverage rather then deploying band 12. Band 12 in almost every area i went to that has it makes little difference from what i have seen. Towers that are fast are still fast. Towers that are slow are well still slow.

Also it is really annoying how i can't even spell out the names of towns without the system trying to block me

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@tmo_chris@tmo_marissa@drnewcomb2‌@

So i came home today after school to find LTE is completely gone i called into tech support and they told me other people already filed a ticket about the issue. I was also informed that both modernization is being done again on the once finished Ellwood tower basically i'm  just wondering what this all means since the rep didn't have any info like what can i expect. I wrote down the ticket number that was filed by someone else if it helps #13872957

I just want to know if this means my crys are being answered or if theres a chance that my coverage is just gunna be even worse then before for a extended period of time. I never seen this happen before during modernization so if someone can give me a idea of what to expect i would be grateful as all heck.

Also i just want to reiterate that i really do love your customer care thats one thing you guys do really well but again thanks for any replys.

dragon1562 wrote:

I just want to know if this means my crys are being answered....

Probably more like it just bubbled to the top of the schedule.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

i just realized that i didn't say modernization and maintenance. Also i don't care how it got to that point so long as it means better coverage in the end. I swear to god if i see 5mb down i would cry literal tears of joy haha thats how desperate i am for decent LTE speeds. I'll also cry with saddness if LTE remains gone for longer then like 2 weeks.

Seriously i forgot how bad 2g really is

Userlevel 5

Hey @dragon1562‌, I just looked at that specific ticket and this is not modernization but rather a tower issue. It just started about 6 hours ago. The engineers have been running tests and working on it pretty much since it went down with the most recent movement being about 30 min ago. You can rest assured that your service is not going to get worse 😊 We will have this fixed ASAP.

Edit: For clarification, this is the tower between Jockey Moore RD and Line Ave.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

thank you for the reply

Hopefully they will fix it, but I'm sure the speeds will stay slow. I was in Center City around 8th and Walnut. I was trying to use my phone and it was slow. Speedtested around 0.8MBit/sec. So sick of T-Mobile. My Verizon Pixel XL is supposed to ship in a couple days.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks i have faith that it will atleast be fixed and hopefully while there there they will attempt to address the speed. I really feel like i have bad luck though something always seems to happen that screws the service up. Some things out of t -mobile control ofcourse like nature while others being whatever is going on. In the mean time i'm about to play some battlefield 1 to relieve stress.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just wanted to update and say the LTE is back i ran some speed tests trough okla app and root metrics and saw that speeds are decently better atm. Getting about .2-1mb down in that range which doesn't sound like much to most but is so much better to .01 because Facebook will at least load as well as the all important email. I hope it will stay that way and continue to get better.

Also i don't know if the engineers will ever hear this but i thank them as well for restoring the LTE so quickly it is greatly appreciated and i want to thank the support team for looking into the ticket for me.

Also i will be running further tests throughout the day to see if things get better later at night because i ran the tests from 11:45- 12:30 which is a pretty busy hour of the day.

Did I just read correctly that you find 0.2 - 1MBit/sec ACCEPTABLE?! Those speeds are ABYSMAL for any LTE network. The slowest acceptable speed for a congested LTE network should be no less than 2MBit/sec with average an average speed of 16 - 32MBit/sec and a peak of 50 - 100MBit/sec which I have seen all ranges of.

You and I at our homes seem to be stuck on bad towers that do less than 1MBit/sec all the time. Like I said before, I have made multiple complaints over the past 14 months and my speed issue has persisted with no fix in sight. In so many words they just told me they have "no plans to upgrade the tower at your location" and "our network keeps improving!" blah blah blah. I'm DONE with empty promises.

My Verizon Pixel XL is supposed to ship out tomorrow.

Dragon, if you want inconsistent performance, stick with T-Mobile or Sprint. If you want a RELIABLE network, then go with Verizon or AT&T.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

speeds like the above are not acceptable but much easier to deal with then .01. Also i have a 2nd device with AT&T so i know that there coverage is more consistent but T-mobile is the company i would rather be with. There plans offer more for people like me that do a lot of travel out of the country and they are the company i use for my business related needs. Unlimited data is also really really nice when your in areas where speed is good.

Also speaking of the pixel did you see the promotion they are doing for it where they will pay off half the device for you.

Also why do they ignore your area so badly is it not populated or something

So I am new here and I see the topic is about signal. I am just wondering if the LG V20 will get an update for 4G LTE signal because the signal is not as good as the signal I had on my Nexus 6p

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

What your gong to want to do is create a separate thread to have your question answered and i would put it under device.

On a side note i personally have no info regarding this and would just assume the device is misrepresenting the signal. Its probably the same signal strength just shown differently. Is there a reason your asking like are you running into issues or were you just concerned the device wasn't working correctly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Is there a reason why all my comments are getting marked for moderation. Did i do something wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It happens to everyone eventually. When a certain number of posts are made within a time frame posts start to go into moderation especially when links are involved. It's one of their antispaming tools. If they reject a post they'll tell you why.