So still haveing issues with coverage

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

About a month ago  now i had made a post regarding abismal LTE speeds in my area when connecting to a tower in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania. I called in yesterday to see the status on the upgrades and work on the towers in my area and was informed that everything is completed and should be working fine. However i am still only able to have down load speed of about .1 if its non peak hours and .01 during if its just about any other time. Upload speeds are usually fine about 3mb up been when I was on the phone with the tech team I wasn't getting any upload at all. I ran numerous tests connecting to 4 different servers to make sure that it wasn't on the sever side.

So my question regarding this issue that has been on going is this what can i do?

I have filed numerous trouble tickets and given various physical locations in which you can run tests and yet nothing seems to change or get better. The issues does not just effect data speeds service quality has progressively gotten worse despite having a very strong signal when running the tests and trying to perform other functions like phone calls. I personally use a Nexus 6p but the service issues effect both android and IOS devices alike even with other people that are not on my account.

My location is in Koppel, PA zipcode 16136 if you need to check the coverage map and it shows excellent coverage but that is not the expience that you get in these areas. Even calls don't seem to work properly ( what happens is the call connects but the person can't hear you or vice versa.

I love T-mobile so i would really like things to get better

Sincerely,

Dennis

156 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Well I have been a happy Verizon customer with my new Pixel XL since last Thursday. This is the speed I now get at my apartment in Bensalem, PA even with a semi-weak signal! I usually pick up Band 13 (700MHz) but it tends to jump between Band 2 (1900) and Band 4 (1700/2100). Can't check for carrier aggregation like I could on my Note 5. Traveling around, I have yet to have a time where my data wasn't very usable even inside buildings that gave me a weak signal. On a full signal, I tested nearly 100MBit/sec. I never knew how bad I had it! See my screenshot of my new speed at home. (That little 4 notification on the top corner is from LTE Discovery app telling me what band I am on)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

dang not bad at all. On the bright side i have managed to get the case excalatend and am supposed to receive a email on Wednesday with the results.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

hey yall its been quite some time since i have posted on here i have been talking to a very awesome employee in the hierarchy of tech support via email. He has been getting me lots of helpful information which is great. However interms of my speed woahs its not looking to great i don't know the whole scoop quite yet but will make a full comment when i do explaining everything i learned. Thanks for your patience guys and everyone who has helped and been along for the journey.

Also please do not mark answered since issue is not resolved yet.

Even though I doubt anything will ever change, hopefully they will resolve the issue of your local tower. However there are still many other areas will you will get low performance. I've been on Verizon for nearly a month and my service in my home area was well as Trenton, NJ has been amazing. I always get amazing speeds everywhere. There were only a couple locations where I had a 3G instead of an LTE signal but service was still usable even though the speed was a bit slow, but this would happen much more often with T-Mobile during my travels. I know no carrier is perfect everywhere, but with Verizon, I am much less likely to encounter a weak area. And the 2 times I was in a weak spot, it was indoors or underground.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

well worse comes to worse i drop t-mobile for one of its competitors. I rather not though but if i did i would probably switch to Verizon like you did. Sprint is also pretty good here in my area but they are like a glorified pre-pay carrier with all the fine print. Cricket is a decent choice to though. Unlimitted data off AT&T who i know is excellent would be pretty sick.

I'll just wait and see though because i really really love my t-mobile plan just need good service haha

T-Mobile is terrible now in downtown Brooklyn.  It use to be good but the past few months whenever I go downtown my speeds go down to dial up.  Can't even stream low bitrate music.

This is on my Nexus 6P.  These are my speeds indoors.

Timeouts, webpages take forever to load or don't and it kills my battery life.

Outdoors is a bit better but the streams drop out all the time.

Now at home I get this.

It use to be great but now it is just getting slower and worse.  It got worse when they came out with the unlimited data plan.  To be not able to stream music anymore I will have to drop T-Mobile soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

i would kill just for your speeds like i said mine is 100x worse then that but i feel your pain. I'll do a final post once i get all the information.

No you won't.  Can't even stream 128kbps reliable.  Use to be able to until this Binge on junk started which still uses my mobile data BTW.  T-Mobile should have just stayed with Music Freedom when it was great.

Come to think of it, I believe it was around the time T-Mobile introduced Binge-On when my data speeds in various areas have gone downhill about a year ago.

I've been with Verizon for about a month now and I will never look back. Have done some traveling throughout rural Central/Eastern PA and NOT ONE SINGLE TIME has my phone fallen back out of LTE. With T-Mobile it would constantly drop to 2G while I was driving in those farmland areas.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

well i haven't had a response since November 23rd so i have started looking into other providers since the service has managed to get even worse then i thought possible. Decided to give Cricket a try while sill keeping my T-mobile line active and boy is it pretty good. The only real weakness is high ping times and that if its busy service degrades pretty bad. On the bright side they are cheaper then my current plan and really let you go all out with the unlimited data. To give you a idea of what i mean. I have only had them for 48 hours and have used almost 20 GB of data without any prioritizing or anything like that.

Its sad because i really like what t-mobile has to offer in terms of what comes with a plan. Plus cricket doesn't support visual voicemail, HD voice, VLTE, or wifi calling. All these things are nice but gosh darn it is the data atleast good for the price.

This is more so a update as i continue to try and have this tower addressed and fixed in some permanent manner. I seriously just do not want to leave so will see what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Actually your speeds are limited from the start. 4mbps on hspa and 8mbps on lte. That is plenty for everyday basic stuff before you hit your actual cap and yes they have a cap. You should hit it soon since you past the 20GB mark.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

yea the 8mb cap is a bummer but it hasn't prevented me from doing anything on my phone. Netflix can still stream at what looks to be 720p with ease which is clear enough. As for the actual data cap i'm unaware i'm stress testing pretty hard and have not noticed anything. I'm testing their $70 unlimited plan so yeah. The next person i want to try is Sprint to see how they have faired since i know they have been investing a little bit in my market.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

‌All my pleading has payed off it would seem. After going along time with no response I just got a update full Of joyoous information my area is due to get a brand new tower. That's right a whole new site and man I can't wait I feel like a kid on Christmas Day. Now I know this probably gunna be atle 6months or maybe longer if they constructing a cell site from scratch but that's fine the fact that i know that all my tickets and pleads on social media finally did something makes me feel ecstatic. Thanks everyone for takeing this journey with me I'll give a update if I hear or see anything about where its being filed and such.

Everyone please enjoy your Christmas as well btw and a toast to the new year for us with team magenta.

It's hspa+ service available in your area that might help with congestion

This is one of the main reason I switched to Verizon. Having to set my phone to an older wireless standard to get usable speeds is completely unacceptable to me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sadly HSPA+ is not aviable its just Edge(2g), Band 2 (LTE) and Band 12 ( LTE). Both run on 5 x 5 blocks of spectrum.

Wow that sad 5x5 with band 2 is extremely low they should upgrade it too 15mzh and deploy band 4 20mzh so that they can turn on 3 way carrier agradation because upgrading band 12 too 10 mzh us still not possible because t mobile still doesn't have any plans for it or have no one willing too give that spectrum

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yeah its pretty lame since i know they have more spectrum licenses then that. However even if they increased spectrum it wouldn't solve the core issue of insufficient bachaul. There is supposed to be work being done on the tower so i'm not sure whats being done now but i do know that they will be looking to build a whole new site in general which will be the best way to handle congestion and improve coverage in general.

You should contact corporate I think there is a page put a request for either a tower upgrade or relocation or construction I am gonna search for it wait a sec

T-Mobile Real Estate

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

how do i actually do that though i don't own the tower or anything.

This is too submit a request for a cell site but since you problem is backhoul then you just wait till they contact you and explain the situation they should be able too help you

Just took a speed test on my Pixel XL on my Verizon at my apt. In Bensalem, PA in the bathroom with a very weak signal. Not too bad! In this same spot, T-Mobile had a slightly stronger Band 12 signal and would struggle to break 0.5MBit/sec.

If it was band 12 only it would be normal too get those speeds constantly due too it been only 5x5 mzh it gets congested pretty easily but if multiple bands are been used then it isn't normal let's say your area has band 2 15mzh and bands 20mzh then you should get combined with band 12 at least 50mbps or 30mbps well of course if there crazy amounts of users on the area then the speeds will go down you also need to take in consideration that t mobile customers use data more frequently than Verizon customers