Question

Spotty coverage in major metropolitan area

• 12 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hey all…

Getting extremely frustrated with TMobile and their customer service. For the past 6 months, possibly longer, I have had extremely poor network coverage. When on a call, I cut out constantly and often can’t hear the person on the other end. Usually, my call is dropped. It’s been even worse since the merge with Sprint - to the point that I can’t even make phone calls. I do not live in a rural area (a suburb of Kansas City) but have to drive outside of my city to get coverage.

Aside from calls, it takes 30 minutes to send an MMS (I timed it) and often my text messages fail to send.

I, as well as 3 other family members, have contacted TMobile support. They have been giving us the run-around, even telling us that we have faulty devices - going so far as to supply my mom with a refurbished phone, only to continue to have terrible coverage. I have made at least 5 calls complaining about the issues, and the techs have witnessed how often I cut out on the calls.

I am essentially paying for NO service. I am to the point where I am looking at other carriers, even though I have been with TMobile for 20 years. Being that we are spending more time at home, I have no other means of making phone calls and need a carrier that I can rely on.

What else can I do about this since customer service seems to have no solution?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

What devices are you using?

Badge

What devices are you using?

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S10. Others I know having coverage issues in my city are using an S7, S20, iPhone X and iPhone 8.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

With those phones I can’t imagine why you’d be having trouble. Did you buy these phones from T-Mobile or bring them from another carrier? You might want to look at CellMapper.net to find your nearest T-Mobile sites. Here’s a map of the T-Mobile towers in the KC area.

Badge

With those phones I can’t imagine why you’d be having trouble. Did you buy these phones from T-Mobile or bring them from another carrier? You might want to look at CellMapper.net to find your nearest T-Mobile sites. Here’s a map of the T-Mobile towers in the KC area.

No, all phones were purchased from TMobile stores. I’ve been with TMobile for nearly 20 years and have had my S10 since its release in 2019. These issues just started within the past year, so I’m certain it’s not my device, especially since I know others in the area who have the exact same problems. According to CellMapper, there is a verified tower about half a mile from me, so I would think my connection would be great.

When discussing with TMobile support, they assure me that my area has full coverage and suggest I use WiFi calling when I have network issues…. but that isn’t a solution, as I am paying for cell service.

Badge

It’s now progressed to the point where I can’t even send SMS messages. Might be time to switch carriers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Try putting your phones in Safe Mode and check your connection. This will turn off all the apps that didn’t come stock on your phone. If the connection is better, then an app is interfering and you’ll need to troubleshoot.

Badge

Try putting your phones in Safe Mode and check your connection. This will turn off all the apps that didn’t come stock on your phone. If the connection is better, then an app is interfering and you’ll need to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried safe mode as well as other device troubleshooting. I’m running very minimal apps and have power-saving mode turned on to prevent any other unnecessary network connectivity. TMobile support finally informed me that there are two cell towers in my area that have had work being done to them for the past few months and is likely the cause of my spotty connection. They are aiming at a 9/1 completion date… we’ll see.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

by chance have you had any other TMO devices that are NOT on your account in the same areas? and are they seeing the same thing or no?

Badge

Update: TMO support is not consistent when I speak with them. Some tell me I have a faulty device (even though others are having issues in the area) and some are telling me that they have been doing “modernization upgrades” to cell towers in my area. Apparently the “upgrades” are complete, and now my service is WORSE than it was before. Most of the time I can’t connect when attempting to make a call, and TEXT messages are constantly failing. Is this what I get for being a loyal customer for almost 20 years????

I’m done. Switching to AT&T today. Goodbye TMobile!