Question

Sprint and T-Mobile Merger

Badge

I am a Sprint customer and live in a rural area. My signal is very bad so Sprint gave me a Magic Box to use to enhance the signals. It was still working fine. All my 5 lines were on roaming at times and my data reception was very bad. Sprint tower is only 3 miles from me. Sprint sent me the T-mobile sim cards and asked me to swap them. I did on one of my line and my phone couldn’t connect to the network. Sprint Tech said among the 3 Sprint towers near me, only one of them were switched to T-Mobile and it is 7 miles away, that’s why my device couldn’t connect to that tower because it’s too far away. I switched back to Sprint sim card.

As of now, I can hardly get any data reception even if I connect my Magic Box. You would think T-Mobile would switch ALL OF MY THREE TOWERS so my devices can connect to them with T-Mobile sim cards.

T-Mobile has completely screwed up the Sprint towers in my area and I am paying over $300 per month for 5 lines. When I called Sprint, no one knows what to do and just told me they’ll file a report about the tower problems, but nothing was resolved.

It seems like T-Mobile is treating Sprint customers as chop livers, and don’t care about them since they are NOT REAL T-Mobile customers.

I have been with Sprint over 10 years, with treatment like this, I am seriously thinking switching to a different carrier, period !

And I have been calling Sprint Tech. Sprint outsourced all those tech help to foreign countries. I have no problem with that as long as those people know what to do and can help. But they cannot! All they know is reading from the scripts and kept asking me to check my phones. I told them all my phones are fine because all 5 lines have the same problem. Telling the truth, those so-called tech helps are no use. I wish I can get those working in America instead.

ONE VERY ANGRY SPRINT CUSTOMER

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh no. Sorry you’ve had a really tough time after the switch. Our Tech Care team can file a Service Complaint to see if coverage improvements can be made to help you and the other lines. 

Badge

Hello tmo_mike_c,

That’ll be great. As I am typing this reply, I am on roaming which I should have been connected to SPRINT NETWORK, which is less than 3 miles away from me. And I have to switch off the Magic Box because the reception is even worse with the Magic Box on. Obviously, something wrong with the towers. I have called Sprint Tech Help so many times and they kept telling me there’s no tower problem, and I kept telling them there got to be since all my 5 lines have the same problem. So far, nothing has been done and my data reception is unbearable! 

I am paying over $300 per month for such crappy service!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

what all devices are being affected? and are they all 5G devices or a mix of 5G and older 4G devices?

and its a bit reversed..Sprint can use both Sprint towers as well as TMO towers..TMO customers last i remembered unless something changed can still only use TMO towers..

Badge

Hello fireguy_6364,

They are all 4G devices. Sprint sent me the T-Mobile sim cards. I tried them but kept getting disconnected from the network because of the towers. There are 3 Sprint towers nearby, T-Mobile only updated one of them to T-Mobile and that tower was the farthest from me, that’s why I kept disconnected from the network. As such, I have to switch back to Sprint (by the way, this is the 2nd time I tried T-Mobile sim cards hoping that maybe this time will be better, which is not.

According to Sprint Tech Help, if I am using Sprint sim cards, my phones will only be connected to Sprint towers only, is that true? Sometimes I suspect if my phones were trying to connect to the T-Mobile tower even though I am using Sprint sim cards.

And an off-topic comment. Since Sprint and T-Mobile merged, you would think they will have a better phone support and have more people answering the phone. But it seems like it’s getting worse, I have to wait at least half hour lately before anyone got on the phone to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

correct..if its a Sprint sim card it will only connect to Sprint towers.. you can also try putting the TMO sim card back in then go into your network settings and set the phone to CDMA only and see if it pulls your signal back..since i have a 5G phone and the 5G around my area isnt quite fully up to snuff i switched back to 4G LTE/CDMA until things improve a bit more.. if im thinking correctly if the TMO sim is in the phone and you are running it on automatic it’ll first look for TMO towers then Sprints...but the hand off or drop down back to Sprint doesnt always happen. 7 miles is a bit of a push though..usual break off is about 5ish give or take but if you have a ton of flat land around you and not a whole lot of tall things blocking the way i can see it still grasping that signal

Badge

I have spent hours with Sprint Tech trying to solve the issue of network dropped, tried the CDMA also, no help. That’s why he told me the T-Mobile tower is too far away from me, I should go back to Sprint instead which is only 3 miles away. I live in a rural area, in a valley with hills (not mountains) all around, that’s why I need the Magic Box to boost the signals, but the quality of the reception is still weak, but it does help though.

The main issue I have is that Sprint Tech kept telling me there’s no tower problem and I kept telling them there is and they refused to issue a ticket unless I want to reset my phone. I refused to reset my phone. By the way, I have updated PRL, Profile and Reset Network Settings numerous times and still in vain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

From my understanding, Sprint Customers can roam on to the T-Mobile network but not the other way around.  I would suggest sticking with the Sprint SIM until T-Mobile gets around to doing some tower work in your area.  Rural areas are unfortunately, not high up on the list of priorities, sadly.  This is why so many Sprint stores are still operating independently in rural areas.

Badge

I understand that, that’s why I’ll stick with my Sprint sim cards till Sprint updates all the towers near me. The problem I have now is that I can’t seem to make Sprint to fix the tower issues as they kept saying there is no issue. All the Tech Help I talked to are from foreign countries. I don’t know if they have the actual capability to check the towers’ situation or not. I can guarantee you that there are tower problems. I am at a loss what to do. All of my lines have no change done to them for months now, and all PRLs and Profiles have been updated, also reset network settings have done several times.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

by chance do any of your devices have wifi calling activated on them? might be your saving grace while at home until this gets figured out.

i had the device prior the magic box but once they kicked out wifi calling (WFC) i yeeted that thing back to them.

Badge

No, none of my devices has wifi calling activated. I have never enabled that option on any of my lines.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

free anyways..might as well have it available just in case