Question

Sprint and T-Mobile Towers

• 8 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have been having problems with Sprint towers in my location, which is a rural area. Luckily I have the Magic Box which was able to boost up my signals. However, By December 1, 2021, Sprint will deactivate all Magic Boxes. There are 3 towers nearby, T-Mobile upgraded one of them, but the one I am using wasn’t upgraded and no one knows when will that be. After December 1, without the Magic Box, my reception will be very poor. I am thinking of switching carriers. My question is if the carrier I switch to shares the same Sprint tower I am using, will I have the same poor reception as with Sprint? If yes, there’s no reason to switch.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

technically you should be able to use both Sprints towers as well as TMOs towers if they upgraded your  sim card to the R15..i was pulled over from Sprint as well and im using both..my area never had Sprints 5G and im now pulling in 5G which would be TMOs.

Badge

I couldn’t use the TMOs towers because they are too far away, the closest one to me is a Sprint tower, that’s why I kept two of my lines on Sprint network as they are my main lines. The other 3 lines are with TMO towers but have unstable receptions daily. Strangely, with the Magic Box connected, all my lines have 5 bars and 4G, without it, the TMO lines kept dropping out of the network, while the Sprint lines have 3G or roaming, sometimes I can get 4G, and all only have 2 bars. That’s why I am thinking about changing carrier, but it’s using Sprint towers also and I afraid I’ll have the same problems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

TMO will slowly be converting the current Sprint towers to their towers so eventually your reception should improve..when this will happen is anyones guess though..any other carriers have better reception in your area compared to others? checked with neighbors to see who they are going with carrier wise?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

On your TMobile device, attempt to manually select a network.   In many areas, Sprint native  is 310-120, however merged infrastructure  is typically  311-490 (TMobile/Sprint) and 312 250 (Sprint  Keep).  I'm guessing that the 312 250 are the sites that TMOBILE  wants to keep.

I too am out in the country and the closest “official” T-Mobile tower is 10 to 12 miles away…. Monday of this week I discovered I can no longer connect my T-Mobile Home Internet gateway to the Sprint tower that’s only 1.1 miles from my house… (UGH !!!). It’s a Sprint Sprint 310120 tower….. however my T-Mobile account on my iPhone is still using that tower !!!  (Band 41) …. WTF!!! lets a regular Voice+Data SIM card talk to it but no longer the data-only plans that the TMHI devices use.  I will have to resort to using an expensive outdoor antenna system in the future is looks like. …….on the plus side… they ‘might be getting ready to add n41 to that tower to go along with b41 as they are required by law (part of the merger) to provide certain “5g” services to people out in the boonies…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I would contact Tmobile directly for that info.  I have effectively lost access to many Sprint 310-120 sites, however a few are 312 530 (Sprint keep).   You will have to get to 2nd level support, most likely.

None of the support people I have spoken with this week had any info on any of the sprint towers they have taken over…. they just do NOT have access to the tower data yet one of them identified themselves as an upper lever support person by the way…. its kind of a mess right now… seems ‘someone’ knows ….  but its a mess.  I have not connection with both my THMI gateways I have here on the tower only a mile from me and old Sprint 310-120 tower with B41…. its interesting that my iPhone with a T-Mobile SIM card does get both voice and data from that tower… I have identified it using the iPhone test mode data in conjunction with the cellmapper info on that tower…. I am currently connecting to T-Mobile ‘only’ tower way over in Douglas.  Im in an rv park and we have three 4g access points with t-mobile sims… one of them has a pair of yagi antennas pointed down the road close by and it no longer picks up B41 any more and is instead looking further down the road (12 miles) and getting a T-mobile tower.  My two TMHI devices are doing the same.  Today T-Mobile agreed to send me new SIM cards on Monday to see it that might help if this tower is not talking to the old sim number series (they are both many months old…..  we’ll see…..  I think this will not change until they rework that tower…. but who knows???

yea…. I know I just reread most of the stuff from the other day….. ….. its’ late over here…… sorry…

I will report back if the ‘new sim’ test pans out…. later in the week next week when I get the new SIM cards to try out.