Sprint's Repurposed PCS Band 2 to T-Mobile N2

• 13 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

While out in Gloucester Point, VA today with the girlfriend to see some historic ruins.  I noticed the 5G icon on the OnePlus 8 5G I picked up the other day.  This is a fairly rural area with see very small clusters of businesses and houses.  Why did this area get 5G before Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, and so on?  That aside though, I was somewhat impressed with the consistent speeds while driving up US17.  For those of you with 5G devices.  What have your experiences been like so far?

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

i have the V60...just havent pulled the trigger to activate it just yet.. wonder if it was lit off there because they got permissions quicker than most other areas around there to be worked on? or those towers were set to be upgraded anyways so they went ahead and set it up with 5G while it was getting the rest of the upgrades..

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It doesn't need to be activated unless you are a Sprint customer.  Sprint's terrible device IMEI registrations for a device to work has always been a silly process.  If you have a T-Mobile SIM, activation is not required.

The Sprint PCS 1900 converted to N2 seems to be what is popping up fast, at least around here.  Not every tower has it here, but I have found a few that do. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

supposedly i have 5G around my work area and oddly enough covering my home area which has always been a bit of a problem but workable..so i’ll be testing the tar out of it once i do the flip to the new monster.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

im still on the Sprint side..with a tower about 3 blocks roughly away from me..testing inside of a warehouse with every signal blocking thing you can imagine and pulled in 65.4Mbps down and 2.41Mbps up...on their 4G...so cant wait to test out the 5G and see how well it works or doesnt work while in here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Here's my 4g speeds using a Pixel 4XL. No need for 5G for me yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Here's my 4g speeds using a Pixel 4XL. No need for 5G for me yet.

Lucky!  We don't get anywhere near that here in Hampton.  We are lucky to get 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up here on 4G.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Funny thing is if I go 18 miles south the speeds can vary from 30 to 80 Mbps down.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

All cell sites are created equal… some are more equal than others.

Go 2 miles, and I get 200-300Mbps with ‘full signal’

Go 2 miles the other way, and I struggle for 1 Mbps with ‘fulll signal’. (site overloaded - not enough backhaul)

Go to Cambria CA - site with only AWS 2100, +140Mbps - full signal, Go 4 miles north to San Simeon, a ‘5G’ site with AWS 2100 + LTE 700 + LTE 600 + nr71 … struggle to reach 0.5 Mbps .. no congestion.  Backend must be old T1’s